Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think it's against the rules to dox someone on this site (as it should be). Therefore it's odd that we're agreeing to the site itself doxing us if it ever wants to. Especially as most people are sharing very private things here. I would rather hear that the site understands the sensitive nature of topics being discussed and commits to respecting our privacy. Not that it can disclose our real name along with our posts whenever it can and it wants to!!!! Yikes.

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
I think it's against the rules to dox someone on this site (as it should be). Therefore it's odd that we're agreeing to the site itself doxing us if it ever wants to. Especially as most people are sharing very private things here. I would rather hear that the site understands the sensitive nature of topics being discussed and commits to respecting our privacy. Not that it can disclose our real name along with our posts whenever it can and it wants to!!!! Yikes.
Since your real name is not used here (I assume your name is not JustTheWife), how can you be doxed?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Since your real name is not used here (I assume your name is not JustTheWife), how can you be doxed?
If they don't have our real name and it's not an issue it shouldn't be an issue for them to remove that part from the terms.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We're giving the site permission to dox us - that's the issue. With respect, the issue is not "how can we be doxed" How is anyone doxed? For starters, you have email addresses, no? I'll have to defer to a technology expert to comment on how a site operator can determine identity with today's technology and any future technology. But even just email address plus posts and PMs is gold.

Let's turn this around. If it's impossible to do anyway and crazy to worry about, why would this site explicitly make you agree to being doxed. It's not hard to imagine people and companies willing to pay for some indication of your identity plus all of your posts and PMs? Insurance companies, lenders, paid "look up" services, divorce lawyers, private investigators, etc.

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
We're giving the site permission to dox us - that's the issue. With respect, the issue is not "how can we be doxed" How is anyone doxed? For starters, you have email addresses, no? I'll have to defer to a technology expert to comment on how a site operator can determine identity with today's technology and any future technology. But even just email address plus posts and PMs is gold.

Let's turn this around. If it's impossible to do anyway and crazy to worry about, why would this site explicitly make you agree to being doxed. It's not hard to imagine people and companies willing to pay for some indication of your identity plus all of your posts and PMs? Insurance companies, lenders, paid "look up" services, divorce lawyers, private investigators, etc.
Definition of dox: search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.

The policy stated by VS is basically the same as is used by almost very forum (if not all) on the internet. I'm not defending this, just stating that this is the way it is. For this reason anyone who is concerned about this should look into how to become anonymous.

For example, a good start is to create an anonymous email account for all your online accounts. Some people make one anonymous email account for each forum and/or social media account they create. Gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc allow this.

There are sites that tell how to do this.

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
Just wanted to reply further to this. There is a good reason for a forum like TAM to not promise to protect all of the data a user provides to the site. The type of firewall that would be needed to prevent them being hacked is very expensive, far more expensive than what this site will ever generate in income.

Now, are they saying that they plan to sell whatever private data they have? Maybe. Maybe that part of how they make money off their forums. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Email and IP address.
It would appear from the recent influx of spam in my inbox that they very well may be selling our email addys.

Do you have a copy of the original terms of service?
Was this in the old one as well?

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
Email and IP address.
It would appear from the recent influx of spam in my inbox that they very well may be selling our email addys.

I do not recall the exact wording of the original terms of service. And I do not have access now. I, and there other moderators, were not consulted or involved in the design, development, or deployment of the new forum platform. We are finding out about all this at the same time all other members are.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Email and IP address.

I've recently started receiving emails trying to get me to "renew my TV licence" (it's a UK thing) - they are not from the licencing authority and my licence has some months to run. Co-incidence?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just read the new rules of the platform.

Been a pleasure. Be well all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What? what new rules did you read?
say elegirl's posts are discovered by a publisher, or hollywood wants to offer
her a contract to do a movie called elegirl, either way elegirl is going to make
millions.

TAM steps in and says we own the rights to that name, we will take the milllions
or they will not give permission to use the name elegirl, or her stories.

far fetched?

i have seen many posters told they should write books because they write so
well and had very interesting things say.

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
Does this new format make things look different on phones? I thought my phone was having issues.
I'm sure it does. It's built on completely different forum software then what was used to implement TAM before.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Concerns about the user agreement are a big negative to me as well. Why even mention names in the user agreement if the site doesn't know them? There may also be people who signed up with their real names, not realizing that they would not be kept private. Privacy is vital on a site like this - people's lives can be turned upside down by the release of information posted here.

The new format has much more invasive adds for me - making it difficult to use. Perhaps it now bypasses the add blocking I use. I'd be happy to pay, but there is no anonymous way to do that.

I am sorry to loose contact with a lot of friends here. I wish you all well.

·
Administrator
43,900 Posts
Concerns about the user agreement are a big negative to me as well. Why even mention names in the user agreement if the site doesn't know them? There may also be people who signed up with their real names, not realizing that they would not be kept private. Privacy is vital on a site like this - people's lives can be turned upside down by the release of information posted here.

The new format has much more invasive adds for me - making it difficult to use. Perhaps it now bypasses the add blocking I use. I'd be happy to pay, but there is no anonymous way to do that.

I am sorry to loose contact with a lot of friends here. I wish you all well.
What about using one of the reloaded cards. I've seen them sold at Walmart, Best Buy and even grocery stores. You don't have to use your name for those.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts