Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to express my heartbreak for everyone over in the US, what is happening there at the moment is absolutely horrific and my heart aches for everyone involved.

I'm sure George himself would be devastated at what's happening, his fiance said as much herself.

I'm so sad for you all, and I hope that things are under control again asap.

xx

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
As an American I think my fellow American George would be more pissed that he was murdered by some bad asshole of a cop who had 18 prior complaints against him and was still allowed on the job. He shouldn't be the only one going to jail if he is even convicted which is a stretch knowing how these things work. He will probably get off which will lead to more rioting by stupid knuckleheads that don't give a damn about any of this and just want to destroy stuff.

Seriously I am SO SICK of this ****. My entire life this has been happening, and it never gets better. 1 stupid asshole and the whole country suffers because another group of assholes see it as an excuse act out. Not one of this guy's fellow police men stopped it for something like 8 minutes.

Enough already, having a badge doesn't give you license to torture and kill someone. This kinda **** is a blight on our country.

18 ****ing complaints!

[Sorry I appreciate the sentiment but really it's time for this country to get it's collective head out of it's ass when it comes to police brutality. We don't deserve sympathy]

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
I just wanted to express my heartbreak for everyone over in the US, what is happening there at the moment is absolutely horrific and my heart aches for everyone involved.

I'm sure George himself would be devastated at what's happening, his fiance said as much herself.

xx
❤❤🤠

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an American I think my fellow American George would be more pissed that he was murdered by some bad asshole of a cop who had 18 prior complaints against him and was still allowed on the job. He shouldn't be the only one going to jail if he is even convicted which is a stretch knowing how these things work. He will probably get off which will lead to more rioting by stupid knucklehead that don't give a damn about any of this and just want to destroy stuff.

Seriously I am SO SICK of this ****. My entire life this has been happening, and it never gets better. 1 stupid asshole and the whole country suffers because another group of assholes see it as an excuse act out. Not one of this guy's fellow police men stopped it for something like 8 minutes.

Enough already, having a badge doesn't give you license to torture and kill someone. This kinda **** is a blight on our country.

18 ****ing complaints!

[Sorry I appreciate the sentiment but really it's time for this country to get it's collective head out of it's ass when it comes to police brutality. We don't deserve sympathy]
I agree with everything you said xx

·
Super Moderator
8,118 Posts
I honestly do not know how we shift the paradigm. Cops expect the worst from people of color, and people of color expect the worst from cops.
George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbrey, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Rodney King ...

This list could go on and on.

We acknowledge each incident. Many incite protest, and some of those protests escalate into riots.

We may like to refer to our country as a melting pot of liberty, freedom, tolerance, hope and prosperity, but the pot keeps boiling over, and nobody seems to know how, or even wants to find a way to turn down the heat.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
I honestly do not know how we shift the paradigm. Cops expect the worst from people of color, and people of color expect the worst from cops.
George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbrey, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Rodney King ...

This list could go on and on.

We acknowledge each incident. Many incite protest, and some of those protests escalate into riots.

We may like to refer to our country as a melting pot of liberty, freedom, tolerance, hope and prosperity, but the pot keeps boiling over, and nobody seems to know how, or even wants to find a way to turn down the heat.
  • Federally mandated dual body cameras on all policemen for the entire country.
  • Federally mandated state level Independent review board for complaints to be reviewed.
  • 3 Strikes and your out. With possible criminal punishment depending on offense and mandatory minimum sentences just like we impose on criminals in this country.
  • True prison reform.
  • Federally mandated DNA test done on every crime that involves prison time done by two independent location.
  • All existing cases also retro-tested in this way and judged accordingly if possible. (Missed convictions are reviewed to find the offender using the Golden State Killer method, wrongfully imprisoned are released and allowed to sue no statue of limitations.)
  • After that any convicted 1st degree murder/violent rape/child sexual assault is a life sentence with no possibility of parole. Good conduct is rewarded by giving perks but you ain't getting out.
  • Particularly heinous crimes such as serial rape or serial killing where there is no possibility of doubt is punished by electric chair (or stoning, hanging whatever who gives a ****) within the span of 1 year. One appeal. Volunteer psychiatric study can buy you another year. But you are dying in the span of 2 years period.
  • Crime is categorized into dangerous and not-dangerous categories - statics are used to determine what is what, not philosophy or politics. Meaning if statistics prove that committing a certain crime means you are statistically disposed to continue to escalate in your criminal career then this is classified as dangerous, besides the usual violent assault and what not.
  • 3 strikes and you are out for repeat offenders (age of defendant should be taken into account meaning we are keeping you in jail until you get to the age where is unlikely you will commit crimes again. Again using data as our guide, Good conduct is rewarded by giving perks but you ain't getting out.)
  • Non-Violent crime is punished with community service (sometimes short term jail sentences, and community service can mean you have to work to pay back what you stole even if it takes years) and education. With a true aim to rehabilitate offenders. But everyone convicted does a 1 month sentence in a true jail behind bars to give an example of what your life is like if you continue down this path.
  • Using this as our guide re-sentencing (both extending and reducing current sentences)
The goal is to keep the bad guys behind bars longer and fix the misguided.

That would be a start.

·
Premium Member
24,400 Posts
Is it really a melting pot? I remember my first deployment in the Navy and when assigned to my berthing space, the first thing I noticed (like in prisons), everyone automatically segregated themselves into racial groups. Being of mixed race from Hawai’i made it interesting for me to find where I was supposed to berth. There was no one exactly like me there at that time.

Where I grew up, my immediate neighbors, were of Japanese, Korean, Philippino, Hawaiian, Haole, etc. ancestry. There were no segregated neighborhoods except maybe the Hawaiian Homeland Housing. And, even then that was not that segregated, just down the street.

Do we really know each other? Do we really care to know each other? How much are Americans truly accepting of multiculturalism? We may like eating foods from other cultures. But, how many of us are accepting of the other?

Then it comes to policing; here I have never felt like I was in fear for my life. Granted, most of the police force here are of part Hawaiian ancestry. However, I did on two occasions have to deal with police on the mainland and both times I was unsure of whether they were there to assists or harass (neither time was because I did something wrong).

I think with each generation this is changing and that newer generations are more and more accepting of those that do not look like them. The rioting crowds that I see, seem more mixed than in decades past. But, still are we really a melting pot?

Not to sound political (understanding where I am posting), but do we really accept those not just of different racial and ethnic groups but of different ideologies?

This does not surprise me, when I think for as much as we like to look at America as a melting pot, she is still divided and not nearly as accepting of those who appear different, sound different or think a little different.

·
Super Moderator
8,118 Posts
How much are Americans truly accepting of multiculturalism?
They aren't. It is a core part of the issue. Anglo Americans can't even accept the subsets of other Anglo Americans' culture. As a country we exist as most people do, there is the outward facade that we express, wanting to believe we are good, tolerant, righteous; and there is the life we all lead behind closed doors and away from scrutiny. Former officer Chauvin is a perfect illustration. Decorated cop, and public servant. But likely didn't think much of the community he served and believed Mr. Floyd got exactly what he deserved, and was fully prepared to cover up his behavior if not for that video.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
In my experience, your attitude depends on your parenting, this racist or “anti-other” crap is passed on from generation to generation. Sure, not everyone accepts the teachings they get from parents, just like I didn’t accept my parent’s religious teachings … but still it persists.

I grew up in America (and parts of Europe), mostly lived on military (Navy) bases. My neighbors were always multi-racial, multi-religious and multi-cultural … no one was ever excluded from neighborhood gatherings/events. I went to school with the same kids that lived in my neighborhood. I never heard racist type talk in my family or anywhere else. I grew up thinking Ramadan was the coolest holiday ever because of the post-Ramadan parties one neighbor hosted every year.

I know I was naïve however because of my upbringing, I was shocked when I saw racism first-hand when I was old enough to be out and about with my non-white friends as a teenager. I don’t understand the mindset and never will. As an adult I have always (and purposefully) chosen to live in neighborhoods that were/are multi-everything because I have found such to be the most enjoyable. Neighborhoods that are homogeneous (in any category) are actively less accepting of “others” and otherwise annoying to me.

Stop teaching children to hate or be afraid of “differences”. Don’t be silent, in everyday life, when persons are behaving like racist asshats … say something; show your disapproval.

·
Super Moderator
8,118 Posts
  • Federally mandated dual body cameras on all policemen for the entire country.
  • Federally mandated state level Independent review board for complaints to be reviewed.
  • 3 Strikes and your out. With possible criminal punishment depending on offense and mandatory minimum sentences just like we impose on criminals in this country.
  • True prison reform.
  • Federally mandated DNA test done on every crime that involves prison time done by two independent location.
  • All existing cases also retro-tested in this way and judged accordingly if possible. (Missed convictions are reviewed to find the offender using the Golden State Killer method, wrongfully imprisoned are released and allowed to sue no statue of limitations.)
  • After that any convicted 1st degree murder/violent rape/child sexual assault is a life sentence with no possibility of parole. Good conduct is rewarded by giving perks but you ain't getting out.
  • Particularly heinous crimes such as serial rape or serial killing where there is no possibility of doubt is punished by electric chair (or stoning, hanging whatever who gives a ****) within the span of 1 year. One appeal. Volunteer psychiatric study can buy you another year. But you are dying in the span of 2 years period.
  • Crime is categorized into dangerous and not-dangerous categories - statics are used to determine what is what, not philosophy or politics. Meaning if statistics prove that committing a certain crime means you are statistically disposed to continue to escalate in your criminal career then this is classified as dangerous, besides the usual violent assault and what not.
  • 3 strikes and you are out for repeat offenders (age of defendant should be taken into account meaning we are keeping you in jail until you get to the age where is unlikely you will commit crimes again. Again using data as our guide, Good conduct is rewarded by giving perks but you ain't getting out.)
  • Non-Violent crime is punished with community service (sometimes short term jail sentences, and community service can mean you have to work to pay back what you stole even if it takes years) and education. With a true aim to rehabilitate offenders. But everyone convicted does a 1 month sentence in a true jail behind bars to give an example of what your life is like if you continue down this path.
  • Using this as our guide re-sentencing (both extending and reducing current sentences)
The goal is to keep the bad guys behind bars longer and fix the misguided.

That would be a start.
Personally, I have no issue with anything on your list. But then I think, as a collective, we can't even decide on how we want healthcare to work. I'm stating that from a sociological perspective as opposed to a political one.

·
Administrator
43,956 Posts

xx
Thanks for the kind thoughts frusdil. Everyone I know is very upset about the brutality and death of George Floyd. We are all also upset about the violence that is being done using his death as an excuse. This is all very scary because it's clear that there are people here who want a civil war and are pushing it very hard right now.

I just hope that we get can stop the violence. I also hope that we can do something about those police officers who are bad actors.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Anglo Americans can't even accept the subsets of other Anglo Americans' culture. As a country we exist as most people do, there is the outward facade that we express, wanting to believe we are good, tolerant, righteous; and there is the life we all lead behind closed doors and away from scrutiny.
Can't believe what I'm reading here. Do you truly believe all white (non-hispanic) Americans are like this?

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
As an American I think my fellow American George would be more pissed that he was murdered by some bad asshole of a cop who had 18 prior complaints against him and was still allowed on the job. He shouldn't be the only one going to jail if he is even convicted which is a stretch knowing how these things work. He will probably get off which will lead to more rioting by stupid knuckleheads that don't give a damn about any of this and just want to destroy stuff.

18 ****ing complaints!

Considering how the police department is trying to paint Floyd as "resisting arrest" and refusing to release footage from their cams also reveals the extent of corruption within.

All this would have been swept under the rug if people didn't release footage of what truly happened. That's what I'm finding very disturbing.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
Can't believe what I'm reading here. Do you truly believe all white (non-hispanic) Americans are like this?
I don't believe Deejo is that ignorant to proclaim such a thing, he mentioned how Anglo Americans can't even accept the subsets of other Anglo Americans culture.
How does that relate to your accusation?

·
Premium Member
24,400 Posts
I don’t know that one should make a blanket statement about other groups: white, black, hispanic, asian, Pacific Islander, etc. But, this is sometimes how blacks and other minority groups are portrayed by the police/justice system and why we are talking about this in the first place. That is with a blanket portrait of who they think each black male is like and how to treat them. And, yes, we cannot deny the fact that more often than not they are treated far different by law enforcement (along with the justice system) than are white males. I know that folks will bring up examples to counter this statement, but I am talking in general.

Do I think all white folks are racists? No. Do I think that black, latinos, pacific islanders (examples) are free from being racist? No. But I would say that viewing someone from a distance makes it a lot easier to make broad sweeping assumptions based on what one sees on the outside than to make those same generalization when up close. The civil war ended more than a 150 years ago, and yet we still live segregated lives (mostly). It has slowly gotten better, but still, in my experience in the times I have been to the mainland, I am still astounded by the segregation in some areas.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
In my experience, your attitude depends on your parenting, this racist or “anti-other” crap is passed on from generation to generation. Sure, not everyone accepts the teachings they get from parents, just like I didn’t accept my parent’s religious teachings … but still it persists.

I grew up in America (and parts of Europe), mostly lived on military (Navy) bases. My neighbors were always multi-racial, multi-religious and multi-cultural … no one was ever excluded from neighborhood gatherings/events. I went to school with the same kids that lived in my neighborhood. I never heard racist type talk in my family or anywhere else. I grew up thinking Ramadan was the coolest holiday ever because of the post-Ramadan parties one neighbor hosted every year.

I know I was naïve however because of my upbringing, I was shocked when I saw racism first-hand when I was old enough to be out and about with my non-white friends as a teenager. I don’t understand the mindset and never will. As an adult I have always (and purposefully) chosen to live in neighborhoods that were/are multi-everything because I have found such to be the most enjoyable. Neighborhoods that are homogeneous (in any category) are actively less accepting of “others” and otherwise annoying to me.

Stop teaching children to hate or be afraid of “differences”. Don’t be silent, in everyday life, when persons are behaving like racist asshats … say something; show your disapproval.
I agree in some points, people are a product of their upbringing, yours included. You, as an individual, grew up in a multi-racial, multi-religious, and multi-cultural environment, the same environment I strive to raise my daughter in. You, as a result, accepts and treats others as human beings. However it sadly also does not allow you to fully understand racism, you need to live it. Note I do not mean you are unable to sympathise.

It's also much more complex than just hate or fear, it's deeper embedded even in several cultures to consider one superior and others inferior. One righteous, the other immoral, one human the other subhuman. Cultures in which - too, are products of their environments. But there isn't really much discussion of it. The root of racism goes beyond just mere differences. The solutions in Anglo Saxon countries to resolve racialism are simply bandages on a sadly rotten and infected wound.

It hasn't been very long at all racism was actually considered normal and to not consider another as inferior due to their skin color was in fact, a deviant mentality. This will continue, and it will never be resolved while people refuse to talk more openly of race. It's taboo still it seems.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
I don’t know that one should make a blanket statement about other groups: white, black, hispanic, asian, Pacific Islander, etc. But, this is sometimes how blacks and other minority groups are portrayed by the police/justice system and why we are talking about this in the first place. That is with a blanket portrait of who they think each black male is like and how to treat them. And, yes, we cannot deny the fact that more often than not they are treated far different by law enforcement (along with the justice system) than are white males. I know that folks will bring up examples to counter this statement, but I am talking in general.

Do I think all white folks are racists? No. Do I think that black, latinos, pacific islanders (examples) are free from being racist? No. But I would say that viewing someone from a distance makes it a lot easier to make broad sweeping assumptions based on what one sees on the outside than to make those same generalization when up close. The civil war ended more than a 150 years ago, and yet we still live segregated lives (mostly). It has slowly gotten better, but still, in my experience in the times I have been to the mainland, I am still astounded by the segregation in some areas.
From my experience, whites are quite sensitive when accusations of racism is brought about. Like all stereotypes, it triggers defensiveness. Sadly, this impedes progress.

I have my own views on segregation, and I believe it's actually healthy to have both segregation and integration (and yes that is possible), and one without the other simply does not work.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Institutionalized racism is illegal in the United States.

That doesn't mean that racism is gone. Christian Cooper proved that when he recorded Amy Cooper using his race as a weapon against him. On the same day that a police officer was suffocating George Floyd to death, while he was fully subdued and begging to be allowed to keep breathing.

I love this country. I fought for it, and will continue to do so. I can't tell you how much it saddens me to see my home in such turmoil...

1 - 20 of 947 Posts