Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article. Who would have thought this would ever be needed to be said? I'm not asking for opinions. I don't have any questions. I was just surprised it's gotten this far, and a little saddened. I'm not promoting any religious belief or unbelief.

A UK bishop's plea: speak up on marriage before it's too late :: EWTN News

Inside a small English church dedicated to St. Columba, a congregation of Catholics gathered, sitting in the midst of 2,500 years of marriage.

As they celebrated marriage as a blessing to society, they also received a warning: speak up on behalf of marriage now, before doing so becomes taboo.

Bishop Mark Davies of the Diocese of Shrewsbury celebrated Mass on Feb. 14 for over 50 couples who were commemorating their anniversaries of marriage, which collectively added up to more than 2,500 years. One couple, Vincent and Mollie Mooney, were recognizing their 65th year together.

While the faithful applauded and cheered for the couples who were united in marriage, the bishop cautioned that this union is increasingly becoming silenced throughout society.

“We cannot fail to observe an extraordinary phenomenon in our own society by which marriage becomes increasingly ‘unmentionable.’ Politicians speak of ‘new forms of family’ but often seem afraid to speak of marriage itself,” Bishop Davies explained.

He went on to note that in schools, teachers are cautious to even propose the model of traditional marriage to children in the classroom, afraid of being considered too narrow-minded. Inspectors have also questioned young children in school as to whether their teachers are promoting conventional understandings of the family, making them less eager to speak openly about marriage.

Amidst this societal intimidation, the bishop encouraged his flock to speak up in the name of marriage and not be afraid to proclaim the blessings that the sacrament brings to couples, families, and society itself.

Marriage, he stated, is a vital and beneficial institution that serves the good of society by providing stability in family life.

In a culture where the breakdown of the family has led to catastrophic consequences, promoting marriage is increasingly important, he stressed, adding that the Catholic Church has found herself among the last voices who are willing to speak out on marriage, as defined by the strong foundation of lasting and life-giving union between one man and one woman.

With the upcoming General Election in May, Bishop Davies told couples that they should take the moral lead and become courageous examples of the good news of marriage, especially when it comes to voting. He urged those who will be elected into Parliament to support marriage despite the quiet societal intimidation that urges silence.

“I want, therefore, to encourage you today to speak up about marriage, to speak uninhibitedly of the good of marriage! In this you speak not simply from your personal experience but from our faith that marriage is God’s plan for the health and happiness of the family, and indeed, for the whole of human society,” he urged.

Together with the Church, faithful couples can help restore the shattering collapse of families, he emphasized, saying that the good of society rests in the hands of marriage.

“Let us never be afraid to speak of the good news that is marriage!”

·
Registered
254 Posts
I love how they always try to paint themselves as the victims, "STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!". Marriage is only "unmentionable" if you're afraid of people pointing out that you're a bigot.

Also, what's this about teachers being "afraid" to talk about marriage? Why do teachers need to talk about marriage and family structure at all? It's not exactly a difficult subject, kids will pick up on the gist of it themselves.

I've always wanted to see what these kinds of people would think of me and my family. An intersex person who is entirely physically male and identifies as male but can carry and have children. Kind of shoots their entire argument about sex and relationships in the foot.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
I love how they always try to paint themselves as the victims, "STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!". Marriage is only "unmentionable" if you're afraid of people pointing out that you're a bigot.
/yawn

Also, what's this about teachers being "afraid" to talk about marriage? Why do teachers need to talk about marriage and family structure at all? It's not exactly a difficult subject, kids will pick up on the gist of it themselves.
This is amazingly naive. Children are naturally inquisitive. They ask questions. They ask parents, grandparents, older kids and siblings, aunts, uncles, babysitters, pastors, principals, police officers, and, yes, teachers. In short, they ask anyone w/ whom they feel "safe" enough to ask. Additionally, most aren't going to natively know which questions they should be asking Mom and Dad exclusively.

I've always wanted to see what these kinds of people would think of me and my family. An intersex person who is entirely physically male and identifies as male but can carry and have children. Kind of shoots their entire argument about sex and relationships in the foot.
OK... I've got some Googling to do.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Western culture is slowly crumbling under the weight of its own decadence. People don't have the character they had generations prior. The motto today is if you can't live up to a standard then reject the standard. Weak undisciplined people are too numerous for the culture to survive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is amazingly naive. Children are naturally inquisitive. They ask questions. They ask parents, grandparents, older kids and siblings, aunts, uncles, babysitters, pastors, principals, police officers, and, yes, teachers. In short, they ask anyone w/ whom they feel "safe" enough to ask. Additionally, most aren't going to natively know which questions they should be asking Mom and Dad exclusively.
I wasn't implying that children are not inquisitive. I've had a handful of them, I KNOW. I was also a teacher for a little while, I had every question under the sun thrown at me. If a kid asked me something that was a little touchy - like why they were black when their parents were white, when their dad was going to come home from prison (the answer was never, he had life without parole), why their brother "took himself to heaven" - I'd deflect them. It's not hard. It's not my place to answer those kinds of question and god knows there would be hell to pay if I tried, most teachers know this and they know how to deal with it.

I never had any kids ask me about marriage (unless their parents had divorced or the general sort of 'why do people get married', which is easy enough to answer) and definitely no kids ask me about queer marriage/parents, but if I had, I'd gloss over it in the same way. Primarily to avoid conflict because I know it can be touchy. If you know that it's not an appropriate question for you to answer, or that your answer might be controversial, just keep your mouth shut.

When I say that "kids will pick up the gist of it", I mean that over time, people develop their own opinions through experience. There are a lot of things that kids don't know about or understand but as they grow they will learn. A lot of what you tell them when they are young won't stick. And hell, if I can have the conversation with my kids about why some people think my husband and I are evil, YOU can have the conversation with your own sh*tty kid about why some families look different to theirs.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
He went on to note that in schools, teachers are cautious to even propose the model of traditional marriage to children in the classroom, afraid of being considered too narrow-minded. Inspectors have also questioned young children in school as to whether their teachers are promoting conventional understandings of the family, making them less eager to speak openly about marriage.

Isn't the reason they are being more open minded about talking about marriage in school so the kids with divorced parents, 2 same sex parents, foster parents, or single parents don't feel left out or like they have less of a family than someone else?
I think the only thing they should teach is that families come in all shapes and sizes.

Kids will learn about marriage from home, media, their friend's parents and other family members. They don't need to promote traditional marriages in school.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I understand the seriousness of the post but it brought to mind this TT from a few years ago. Very funny but a great perspective on marriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8u42OjH0ss
I watched this 11 minute video.. at 1st I felt she was being sarcastic ...it was almost like a comedy skit mocking the institution...and I'm someone who never felt those things in a negative sense...I've always enjoyed being married ..... but my H never changed after the vows.. hes been wonderful.. ..ME...I've gotten better over the years..... we never want it to end .. One could say ...we like the ball & chain... ... I wanted to take my H's last name.. everything about the Tradition I love.... I don't want to apologize for this...

Ok....so then she got into some of the Studies that have been done.. researchers spend billions on these things.. some of the ODD research she wanted to include in this presentation.....
1. In the happiest marriages, she says... the woman is thinner than the husband..she jokes about fattening him up.

2. when a couple focuses ON THE POSITIVES (no matter what happens, they can see the bright side encouraging each other)..

3. The more attractive the wife is to her husband, the more sex they have.. the more sex they have, the NICER he is to her.. the nicer he is to her, the less she nags...(how true this all is [email protected]#$)... his doing some domestic chores were mentioned here.

4. One study showed the more you smiled in childhood photographs, the less likely you would be to get a divorce.

5. Do not win an Oscar for Best Actress -they call it the Oscar curse...

6.. Do not watch a Romantic comedy...it can cause romantic satisfaction to plummet...and can cause fight afterwards... (I can't say this is true for me & H at all.. we enjoy watching them.. I find them inspirational.

7.. Drinking alcohol is bad for marriages..

8. Divorce can be contagious.. she spoke if how if you have one close couple friend who divorces, it can raise your risk 75%...

Then she went on at 8:50 in the video... to list all the BENEFITS to getting married... (she redeemed herself.... good ending -to show some value in it -if you marry wisely that is)...

There are 1,000 significant legal benefits...married people generally make more $$, they are healthier, physically and emotionally, they produce happier more stable & successful children, she said they are having more sex
- over their swinging single friends and they live longer...that is.. if you marry someone YOU LIKE A LOT ...

She ends by saying it's an institution worth pursuing and protecting...

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
It has to roll out over the top. That's the proper method of dispensing TP.
Ah but what if you own a cat. By setting up your tissue to come up and over if your cat uses it's paw to give it a spin you'll soon have tissue all over your floor. By setting it up to come from underneath the same feline action would just cause the roll to spin and spin but no tissue ends up on the floor.

And yes we have such a cat and yes it happens to us every time.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Isn't the reason they are being more open minded about talking about marriage in school so the kids with divorced parents, 2 same sex parents, foster parents, or single parents don't feel left out or like they have less of a family than someone else?
I think the only thing they should teach is that families come in all shapes and sizes.

Kids will learn about marriage from home, media, their friend's parents and other family members. They don't need to promote traditional marriages in school.
Do you think it is appropriate in that particular school?

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah but what if you own a cat. By setting up your tissue to come up and over if your cat uses it's paw to give it a spin you'll soon have tissue all over your floor. By setting it up to come from underneath the same feline action would just cause the roll to spin and spin but no tissue ends up on the floor.

And yes we have such a cat and yes it happens to us every time.
It just goes to show how bored I am that I actually realised that and came back to correct myself. I'd have to get rid of the cat in such a case. :p Well, if the cat pleased my imaginary SO, I'd have to make sure the door to the bathroom was closed.

Notice, nowhere did I say the toilet roll should be flipped. :p

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
It just goes to show how bored I am that I actually realised that and came back to correct myself. I'd have to get rid of the cat in such a case. :p Well, if the cat pleased my imaginary SO, I'd have to make sure the door to the bathroom was closed.

Notice, nowhere did I say the toilet roll should be flipped. :p
Well in my case "our" cat does indeed belong to my wife insofar as any cat belongs to any human. Actually now that I think about it she (and by extension me) belongs to the cat. Anywho, if you close the bathroom door to prevent a tissue roll tragedy how will you know when it is occupied? You may say that if the door is locked then it's occupied. But we usually don't lock the bathroom door so that in cases of "emergency" someone could still get in if they couldn't wait until someone was done showering. I suppose you could knock but there could still be embarrassing slips resulting in much frustration and yelling. Plus it would just become tedious after a while. When this problem first occurred my immediate suggestion was to leave the toilet seat lid up since the cat sits there to commit tissue-pocalypse. I'm sure you can figure out how well that went over. No, my friend I'm afraid for the good of all concerned this was one compromise that I had to make.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well in my case "our" cat does indeed belong to my wife insofar as any cat belongs to any human. Actually now that I think about it she (and by extension me) belongs to the cat. Anywho, if you close the bathroom door to prevent a tissue roll tragedy how will you know when it is occupied? You may say that if the door is locked then it's occupied. But we usually don't lock the bathroom door so that in cases of "emergency" someone could still get in if they couldn't wait until someone was done showering. I suppose you could knock but there could still be embarrassing slips resulting in much frustration and yelling. Plus it would just become tedious after a while. When this problem first occurred my immediate suggestion was to leave the toilet seat lid up since the cat sits there to commit tissue-pocalypse. I'm sure you can figure out how well that went over. No, my friend I'm afraid for the good of all concerned this was one compromise that I had to make.
I loved reading that. :p I guess you'll just have to keep wiping the wall where you grab for the tissue and repaint often? I see the dilemma. We make sacrifices for pets and people we love. Something as simple as a sliding cover over the tissue, on a holder that sets back into the wall like the old fashioned ones, would seem like a great QVC product. I guess it would look something like a covered paint roller, if you know what I mean. I'm quite stubborn. :p Let me see if I can find an image. I'm enjoying this.

One for the camp. Is this disgusting or what? :p

This one is exactly what I was thinking of. It could be a bit less commercial looking, but it's what I had in mind.

I know, I know, it wouldn't get me laid because I didn't admit to being "wrong" and apologize, but I think it's cool. I'll get her a heated seat for the commode and make up the difference. Besides, I'd enjoy the heated seat myself. :)

Maybe then I could get a reprieve from the governor and get some nookie? Cause that's what this is about, isn't it? She would blame me for being stubborn and not getting any because she shut it off due to my lack of empathy? Yeah, that sounds about right. :p

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wonder how many people lost a finger just trying to wipe their bum? bahahahaha

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Do you think it is appropriate in that particular school?
You mean in a Catholic school? You will have all kinds of families there too. Same sex, foster/other guardian, divorced, single.

But other than just that. I don't see the point. Most people want their marriage to last whether they are taught it or not. I am not someone who looks at the divorce rate as something bad. It means people are not staying unhappy and stuck. Good for them. Of course a happy marriage that lasts until death do you part is the ideal and so many people already stay "for the kids" or because religion tells them they can't divorce. I don't think it's a choice anyone makes lightly.

I also don't believe that not divorced = success and I absolutely believe that in many cases "kids would rather be from a broken home than live in one"

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I loved reading that. :p I guess you'll just have to keep wiping the wall where you grab for the tissue and repaint often? I see the dilemma. We make sacrifices for pets and people we love. Something as simple as a sliding cover over the tissue, on a holder that sets back into the wall like the old fashioned ones, would seem like a great QVC product. I guess it would look something like a covered paint roller, if you know what I mean. I'm quite stubborn. :p Let me see if I can find an image. I'm enjoying this.

One for the camp. Is this disgusting or what? :p

This one is exactly what I was thinking of. It could be a bit less commercial looking, but it's what I had in mind.

I know, I know, it wouldn't get me laid because I didn't admit to being "wrong" and apologize, but I think it's cool. I'll get her a heated seat for the commode and make up the difference. Besides, I'd enjoy the heated seat myself. :)

Maybe then I could get a reprieve from the governor and get some nookie? Cause that's what this is about, isn't it? She would blame me for being stubborn and not getting any because she shut it off due to my lack of empathy? Yeah, that sounds about right. :p
I actually like those two tissue holders you posted but if I put either of them up I guarandamntee you I wouldn't have to worry about the cat anymore because I'd be in the doghouse. Lol

Besides, can you imagine the *ahem* "debris" that would end up on the little sliding door before tissue is touched?

The heated seat sounds like a plan though. I'd definitely earn brownie points with that one (no pun intended btw.)

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You mean in a Catholic school? You will have all kinds of families there too. Same sex, foster/other guardian, divorced, single.

But other than just that. I don't see the point. Most people want their marriage to last whether they are taught it or not. I am not someone who looks at the divorce rate as something bad. It means people are not staying unhappy and stuck. Good for them. Of course a happy marriage that lasts until death do you part is the ideal and so many people already stay "for the kids" or because religion tells them they can't divorce. I don't think it's a choice anyone makes lightly.

I also don't believe that not divorced = success and I absolutely believe that in many cases "kids would rather be from a broken home than live in one"
Yeah, a Catholic school. Are you or were you ever Roman Catholic? I don't know of any beliefs that make being a single parent less respectful or sinful. It all depends on how one handles it. What parts of Catholicism would agree with your thoughts? Why would a non-Catholic want to go to a parochial school and why would a parochial school have to conform to secular or any other beliefs?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Yeah, a Catholic school. Are you or were you ever Roman Catholic? I don't know of any beliefs that make being a single parent less respectful or sinful. It all depends on how one handles it. What parts of Catholicism would agree with your thoughts? Why would a non-Catholic want to go to a parochial school and why would a parochial school have to conform to secular or any other beliefs?
I am Agnostic. My kids are in Catholic school. My brother's kids are in Catholic school and they are from a non-religious divorced home. Like I said, there are all kinds of families there.
Why? Because the school is better, I like the teachers. But I would pull them in a heart beat if they were teaching my kids that single parents or same sex parents were sinful. Luckily they leave the judgmenty stuff to church and just teach them things like reading and math.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually like those two tissue holders you posted but if I put either of them up I guarandamntee you I wouldn't have to worry about the cat anymore because I'd be in the doghouse. Lol

Besides, can you imagine the *ahem* "debris" that would end up on the little sliding door before tissue is touched?

The heated seat sounds like a plan though. I'd definitely earn brownie points with that one (no pun intended btw.)
:lol:

Yeah, I thought about the, as I like to pronounce it when I'm goofing around, "debriss" with the "ss" pronounced and the second syllable emphasized.

Yeah, you'd have to build one first, too. That would suck until she realized it had a fully stocked fridge and bar, television and full compliment of your favorite videos, Robert Griffing paintings hanging on the wall, reloading equipment on a bench for working rifle stocks and inletting swanped rifle barrels and fitting brass hardware. Oh, forgot the stereo and mp3 files and cd's, of course 5.1 channel surround at minimum. A nice soft rocker, a sofa, a recliner and a few tables could round out the seating. A small hand-made table and chairs for eating would be nice along with a small double bowl sink and a small dishwasher. Did I forget the gas log fireplace for heat, with a thermostat controlled fan above and a quiet ac for the hot days? Insulation would help greatly and an area for the woodworking equipment and a lean-two style roof on the side or back with stacks of drying rough cut sugar maple, cherry, walnut and ash would round that off nicely. A burn pit on the side with some seating would be nice for the scraps of lumber that could not be used and would make a great addition for cool nights by a sweet smelling fire.

Sorry, I got carried away. I'll awaken in a moment.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am Agnostic. My kids are in Catholic school. My brother's kids are in Catholic school and they are from a non-religious divorced home. Like I said, there are all kinds of families there.
Why? Because the school is better, I like the teachers. But I would pull them in a heart beat if they were teaching my kids that single parents or same sex parents were sinful. Luckily they leave the judgmenty stuff to church and just teach them things like reading and math.
You, an agnostic, would be offended if they taught Catholic doctrine and beliefs? Interesting.... Judgment is a part of life and all religious beliefs. My belief is that all religious schools should teach in a manner that supports their doctrine and beliefs. If you don't like it, you don't have to send your children there. There are other choices. I believe it's improper to force your counter Catholic or non-religious beliefs on an educational system based in Catholicism.

Why don't you agnostics and atheists get together and create a school that has no religious teachings or judgment? Oh, that's public school, and apparently it's failing by your standards. What would happen if you got everything you wanted in the Catholic school system? Do you think it would fail as badly as public schools?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.