Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have had my sister in laws 6 week old for about three days now....In public everyone is starring at the kid and walking up to us asking questions.Saying "Aw look at the little baby!"It's annoying after so many people come up to us asking a bunch of questions.Having a little baby definitely draws attention to you.My question is for you all who have had kids,Is it annoying to you?Did you get tired of it?And why do people make such a big deal out of babies?

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
babies and puppies always have strangers making comments

they're just being nice and reacting to what they find cute, as long as they aren't picking up the baby or anything like that, just smile and say thanks and be on your way

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
My wife and I have had my sister in laws 6 week old for about three days now....In public everyone is starring at the kid and walking up to us asking questions.Saying "Aw look at the little baby!"It's annoying after so many people come up to us asking a bunch of questions.Having a little baby definitely draws attention to you.My question is for you all who have had kids,Is it annoying to you?Did you get tired of it?And why do people make such a big deal out of babies?
LOL, try having an American redhead baby in 1990 China. You think you have a bit more attention than you can handle, trust me you can handle it. Just say sorry to the people who inquire and tell them you are in 'relaxing family mode' and could they please excuse you since you're drained and can't engage in chit chat and want to enjoy your meal/enjoy your walk/watch the birds....etc.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It's no biggie. Besides, sometimes you can get some pretty good parenting tricks from these people. Most of the people who did approach us were later on in years, so they've most likely raised kids and grand kids and picking their brains a little with idle chit chat isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
No, not annoyed by it. Since we had a set of twins, we got so much attention. Our son was also a major "flirt" with women as an infant and a toddler. My estranged husband used to like to take him on shopping trips. Every sales clerk would immediately assist him.:)

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awww don't be a stick in the mud...babies are beautiful and a cause for celebration:)

It never got old having people admire my beautiful little boy.It's a topic of common ground and people feel a certain pull toward new parents and new babies.That's not a bad thing!
How can it not get annoying having people ask you the same questions constantly...Today in the doctors office someone actually said"Is she a crybaby"?LOL.....All babies are crybabies!People have seen probably hundreds of babies and still act like they have never seen one in their entire lives.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
How can it not get annoying having people ask you the same questions constantly...Today in the doctors office someone actually said"Is she a crybaby"?LOL.....All babies are crybabies!People have seen probably hundreds of babies and still act like they have never seen one in their entire lives.
I've seen hundreds of puppies yet I still have a melty heart and squeal like a kid when I see one in public and ask to pet it.

Most people adore cute and innocent things in life.We love surrounding ourselves in those things and inquiring about those things.
I guess it's annoying to some people but it's not going to stop so you may as well smile and accept it:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know how you feel OP. I have a 4 month old and a 6 year old. I don't get all gooey over babies and I get uncomfortable with strangers commenting and trying to strike up conversation about my kids. I'm an introvert though and really would just prefer to keep to myself.

I don't think I would go so far as to say it is annoying but it definitely is something I could do without. My SO on the other hand LOVES the attention our kids get. I just step aside when he is there and let him deal with it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It depends on the person and what they do/say. In general no. Most of the people make it short with something nice. The ones that want to chat seem to be older folks (60,70,80's etc) and as my parents were 86 and 92 when they died I'm sympathetic and try to be nice. We're all going to be old someday..

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I will never understand , for the life of me, why people would get annoyed over something like this... Just shows how very different some of us are.

Now me personally.... I NEVER EVER do this... I save the Ooohs & awe's ...I won't even talk to a stranger... simply because ...as ScarletBegonia mentioned....we don't know who the "stick in the mudds" are ...and it ain't worth pi$$ing in their cornflakes, or getting an annoying look back at us. So the most I would do around a new baby is glance & smile.

But when people are friendly to me, have cute comments / Questions / show an interest with a :), make a little joke...unless they are in my face so I can smell their breath or think they can reach out & TOUCH the baby...(That is going too far).... I welcome that with a nice reply ... makes your out & about day a little more interesting... we've had 6 babies in the last 22 yrs...

Lots of attention... Lots of comments how we have a baseball team, how we'll be sorry we had this many- wait till they're teens! How blessed we are, many asking where's the little girl....bla bla bla....

Never annoyed.

I've had some go on about how adorable SHE was, and it was our little boy...I still wasn't annoyed... I just :) ....and told them SHE was a HE.

I appreciate friendly people . They make life just a little "sweeter".

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
It depends on the person and what they do/say. In general no. Most of the people make it short with something nice. The ones that want to chat seem to be older folks (60,70,80's etc) and as my parents were 86 and 92 when they died I'm sympathetic and try to be nice. We're all going to be old someday..
Abe Simpson said:
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
babies and puppies always have strangers making comments

they're just being nice and reacting to what they find cute, as long as they aren't picking up the baby or anything like that, just smile and say thanks and be on your way
That's why as a teenager I didn't mind my parents getting a new puppy. Sure there was more clean up...but the number of girls you talk to when you're a good looking athlete walking a puppy around (springer spaniel) made it all worthwhile. :smthumbup:

·
Registered
723 Posts
When the babies were born, no I didn't really mind people coming up to them. Mind you, we lived in a small town then with only one shopping centre, I knew nearly everyone at the shop anyway.

What I didn't like was people commenting before they were born. 'Oh, you're so big.' Me: 'Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed..'

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
You should move to Sweden, I heard it's legal there to park your baby in its carriage outside the restaurant or shop while you go in alone for a meal or whatever. Same thing in New Zealand, from what I've heard.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it was only one person who did it,it wouldn't be so annoying.But it happens time after time after time after time.People stopping you in public while you're trying to shop.....Then if you were to tell people to their faces"Come On...it's just a baby.Thats a part of life.People have babies.Come on now.I'm sure you've seen plenty of babies".Then you would be considered mean........

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.