Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
Has started in my state here too, we're having another outbreak. We've had restrictions put back, and lockdown appears likely, but I still don't get why people panic buy?? Even during the last lockdown supermarkets remained open?? It doesn't make sense?
S.A.? Here's hoping our contact tracing/hotel quarantine program that's worked for N.S.W. so far works for you guys, you don't want to be another Melbourne! Not to mention we are supposed to have open borders by Christmas. Bah!
As for panic buyers, some are just profiteering mother f----s, others want to hoard get their stocks up before others have the same idea and do the same thing and walla, you have a panic buying crisis. Fking bastards.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Reporting in from the front lines here in AZ: I ran down to Albertsons (same corporate entity as Safeway) because I was in need of mayonnaise (my favorite condiment). The shelves were well stocked. Plenty of turkeys, although I didn't look at the weights. Also, an okay selection of toilet paper; read that to mean there was actually Charmin on the shelves. Bacon on sale for $2.99/lb.

My usual store (Safeway) has had far more shortages. My guess is it's because a large number of their customers are from Oro Valley area, which is basically a retirement community The higher risk population would logically tend to stockpile more when COVID numbers go up.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
So either:

• It's the end of the world where you live
  • You have a food shortage thanks to bloody hoarders (I hope they get what's coming to them :mad: )
  • Or the online store hasn't been updated because they laid off the staff who updated the store
  • Or Walmart is just incompetent, full stop.

What other grocery shops you got in the states? Don't tell me Walmart is a monopoly - where I live we have Coles/Woolworths/Aldi
Lol. I love to see the crazy USA from an outside perspective.

I live in a busy metro area on the east coast so we've got plenty of stores here. But yes, people really do hoard and panic buy when they believe it's the end of the world.

I visited my parents house yesterday for the first time in a month and was shown that they have an entire wall of their garage AND basement stacked to the ceiling with nothing but costco sized packages of toilet paper and paper towels. Now, my parents are elderly and not familiar with delivery services. They want to basically shut themselves in for the winter since the virus is so out of control where we live, so I give them a pass. But I also told them that they should hide the stash in the garage under blankets or something lest they be targets when the great TP famine raids begin.

Our governor does "press conferences" when things are about to go down. Last spring everytime there was a press conference there would be new lockdown measures in place. They had largely stopped for the entire summer and early fall but all of a sudden they're back on again. He's had one like every other day lately and they each introduce slightly more threatening terms. Basically, he's had it up to here with all of us and now he's gotta lock us down. Anytime a press conference is announced (usually only a few hours before they occur) the stores are slammed with people buying up whatever they can find, because there's always panic that he's gonna shut everything down again. I missed the memo on a press conference announcement once and found myself stuck in the grocery checkout line for an absurd amount of time with all of the panic buyers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Definitely hoarding. Here in SoCal, paper goods, some cleaning supplies, cheaper bottled water.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Yep, SA. We got told at lunchtime today that we go into stage 4 lockdown at midnight tonight. Wherever you are at midnight, you have to stay there until it's over. Not allowed to leave our homes except for essential services such as food/dr/vet/pharmacy or unless we're an essential worker.

And best part? None of us are complaining about it, we're just "righto, let's get cracking" lol.

S.A.? Here's hoping our contact tracing/hotel quarantine program that's worked for N.S.W. so far works for you guys, you don't want to be another Melbourne! Not to mention we are supposed to have open borders by Christmas. Bah!
As for panic buyers, some are just profiteering mother f----s, others want to hoard get their stocks up before others have the same idea and do the same thing and walla, you have a panic buying crisis. Fking bastards.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Take a look around.....No one is going to starve any time soon....:rolleyes:
It bugs the heck out of my wife. Since I haven't been feeling well, I eat one small meal a day. I just don't desire more. If I do this for 6 to 8 weeks I might loose half of my annual goal.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Update- I think I lucked out, y’all! I opened the dreaded confirmation substitution email for my order arriving in an hour and since they didn’t have the 12 pack of toilet paper I ordered, they substituted 20 single rolls for the same price! Wtf ! 😃 Yes, I like Scott’s and I don’t care! I’d rather it tear my butt up than leave those little pills of paper on my hoo ha.

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
Yep, SA. We got told at lunchtime today that we go into stage 4 lockdown at midnight tonight. Wherever you are at midnight, you have to stay there until it's over. Not allowed to leave our homes except for essential services such as food/dr/vet/pharmacy or unless we're an essential worker.

And best part? None of us are complaining about it, we're just "righto, let's get cracking" lol.
Lol damn!

Lets hope it lasts just the six days its meant to so you guys can get on top of things.

Otherwise your premier is gonna be the second Andrews...

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
Lol. I love to see the crazy USA from an outside perspective.

I live in a busy metro area on the east coast so we've got plenty of stores here. But yes, people really do hoard and panic buy when they believe it's the end of the world.

I visited my parents house yesterday for the first time in a month and was shown that they have an entire wall of their garage AND basement stacked to the ceiling with nothing but costco sized packages of toilet paper and paper towels. Now, my parents are elderly and not familiar with delivery services. They want to basically shut themselves in for the winter since the virus is so out of control where we live, so I give them a pass. But I also told them that they should hide the stash in the garage under blankets or something lest they be targets when the great TP famine raids begin.

Our governor does "press conferences" when things are about to go down. Last spring everytime there was a press conference there would be new lockdown measures in place. They had largely stopped for the entire summer and early fall but all of a sudden they're back on again. He's had one like every other day lately and they each introduce slightly more threatening terms. Basically, he's had it up to here with all of us and now he's gotta lock us down. Anytime a press conference is announced (usually only a few hours before they occur) the stores are slammed with people buying up whatever they can find, because there's always panic that he's gonna shut everything down again. I missed the memo on a press conference announcement once and found myself stuck in the grocery checkout line for an absurd amount of time with all of the panic buyers.

Argh... they are elderly so I can be slightly forgiving but ARGH... who needs that much bloody toilet paper? People don't buy for a month or even a year they buy as if it's the end of the world! :LOL:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Argh... they are elderly so I can be slightly forgiving but ARGH... who needs that much bloody toilet paper? People don't buy for a month or even a year they buy as if it's the end of the world! :LOL:
And if mice get into their garage they will waste all of it, but at least the mice have nice nesting material.

·
Premium Member
14,108 Posts
And if mice get into their garage they will waste all of it, but at least the mice have nice nesting material.
Heh should post a video of mice nesting on hoarded toilet paper the next time someone is forced to wipe their ass with their fingers.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Oh wow. First time this has happened with an online order from Walmart.

He brought all my stuff AND other stuff I didn’t order. He brought 2 cases of beer that I didn’t order. Eggs, bread, all kinds of stuff.

So what do I do? I tell him that they’re not mine as he’s trying to tell me that they are. Moral freaking dilemma. Too early in the morning for that.

I couldn’t keep the stuff. I just couldn’t. Then somebody else would be missing their stuff. Not to mention, I’m a firm believer in Karma.

Somebody tell me I did the right thing because I feel like kind of a pud. :( That beer was looking good too!

Nah, I know I did the right thing.

But this goes to show you that it’s not 100% guaranteed. I hope the next time, if someone gets my stuff, that they’ll return it as well. I still feel like kind of a pud though.

Edit- sorry if that was thread jacking. I thought it was kind of relevant.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Oh wow. First time this has happened with an online order from Walmart.

He brought all my stuff AND other stuff I didn’t order. He brought 2 cases of beer that I didn’t order. Eggs, bread, all kinds of stuff.

So what do I do? I tell him that they’re not mine as he’s trying to tell me that they are. Moral freaking dilemma. Too early in the morning for that.

I couldn’t keep the stuff. I just couldn’t. Then somebody else would be missing their stuff. Not to mention, I’m a firm believer in Karma.

Somebody tell me I did the right thing because I feel like kind of a pud. :( That beer was looking good too!

Nah, I know I did the right thing.

But this goes to show you that it’s not 100% guaranteed. I hope the next time, if someone gets my stuff, that they’ll return it as well. I still feel like kind of a pud though.

Edit- sorry if that was thread jacking. I thought it was kind of relevant.
I order almost all of my groceries for delivery but the same thing has happened to me 3x so far. Of course, once the groceries are on my doorstep there is no sending them back. I always get a new order for "free" (as does the other person who got my order) and I get to keep the other person's order. I always donate the food since we don't need it, but I'll admit, it's kind of like Christmas for adults when I look through it and see what I got :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well, if he wouldn’t have been standing there I would’ve had no choice but to keep it. 😂 But he was, so I had 3 seconds to decide if I felt like being a thief today. I didn’t.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
People are hoarding where I live again BUT I have always found this out of stock business to be an issue specifically with Walmart. I would bet that if you were to physically walk through the store you would find all of those items that are labeled as out of stock online. It is so frustrating trying to order anything from them. Their online system is never up to date.

All of these stores leave the most high demand items off of the online order list and I have written to all the politicians up to and including the governor about it because I can't imagine why they would let that go on when they're trying to have people isolate and be sanitized and all that crap. It's been very frustrating that the very people who are really trying to stay home and not have contact with people are denied sanitizing products and anything else that is high demand at the time. And my next door app which is my neighborhood app, people will come on there and say target has Lysol or whatever, but no one can get it unless they walk in there.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Delivery service of any kind in Tucson is beyond awful. I tried it way back in March, and no matter how many times I went online it was the same old sh. All the delivery times were taken. Try again later. Most of the items listed online were "out of stock." I just gave up and went to the store.

One really weird thing happened to me in early June. I came home to find bags of groceries from Sprouts (our local market) at my doorstep. I hadn't been in the store in months and I never ordered from them online. I called the delivery service to find out whose order I received. They couldn't care less. Told me they had no idea how the order arrived at my door. I called the closest Sprouts market. They couldn't care less either.

So I had all sorts of beverages (tangerine juice, seltzer water, milk) and some other odds and ends, like bread and eggs. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Ok, good info to have.

It's very normal for family members to have different tollerance for spicy food and to even have different likes/dislikes with food.

I live in New Mexico and we eat a lot of hot spicy food. With 5 of us in the household there is an issue with hot spicey food. My husband cannot tolerate hot chili. My son was loves very hot food. My 2 step children can sometimes tolerate the high chili. But my son love hot chili, the hotter the better. I used to love very hot food but in the last year it's starting to cause me heart burn. So when I make chili I use milder chili in the pan and then cook a batch of very hot reed chili sauce or green chili so each of us can add as much hot chili can we want. There are other foods that some in the family have issues with and we make similar accommodations.

This is normal. People who are sensitive to spices are sensitive because their body has a problem with the spices. For you to take offense to your wife letting you know that she (her body) cannot handle the level of spices you like is, well not cool at all. Why would you take offense at that? Your reaction to her letting you now that the food was too spicy for her is very odd. And now you are being passive aggressive about it.

I'm wondering if there is a bigger problem in your relationship and the spice issue just gives you a chance to act out your frustration. So... how's the rest of your relationship? What about your relationship with your wife is really bothering you besides her not being able to tolerate very spicy food?
Why don't you send your husband and two step kids out to scour all the markets?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts