Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
44,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now I've been using Walmart's online grocery shopping, lately using their home delivery. For the last few weeks more and more items are listed as out of stock. For the last week the only eggs available are the very high cost ones, $5.75 a dozen. Only the most expensive butter is available.. 2 breads. Most cuts of meat are not available. It now takes days before an order can be delivered and by then about half of the items I order are not is stock.

Is anyone else finding this?

·
Premium Member
6,452 Posts
Groceries in my area have been normal. Last week, jumbo eggs were $2.39 per dozen at Publix.

The store does still have the 'two' limit on lots of items, but I haven't noticed empty shelves like we had in March.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I went to Kroger a couple weeks ago. Their shelves are not fully stocked and the frozen vegetables were scarce. Went to Publix last night and their shelves were reasonably stocked, but they had very little available in the frozen vegetable section.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I think it must depend on your area. I don't have a Walmart in my area so no personal experience, but this is in NJ.

And lots of checkout times as early as tomorrow:

·
Registered
238 Posts
COVID upswing has created another hoarding issue. T-paper all but gone again. My state appears to be going to phase 1 again.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I've noticed throughout that many less expensive items are taken off of the online order menu, and I just think they're doing it on purpose, but in some cases, like store generic brands, could be the manufacturers who have something in high demand just couldn't continue also manufacturing the generics and just put all effort into their brand.

Also, I notice that the order pullers often substitute (even if I say NO substitutions) higher priced items or bigger packages of, for example, meat. 7 times out of 10, if I order regular sliced meat or bacon, they will send thin sliced instead, a huge package (it's $1 more a pound and useless for my purposes) and then thick bacon.

I ordered a small pumpkin and they found the largest one. Each time I order 1 onion, they either send a whole bag full (this is another store, not Walmart) or the hugest onion they can find in the bin. I'm vocal and where I usually shop, the managers of the drive-up all know my name by now because I call ahead if they send me what is being filled right before I go and make them fix it instead of waiting until I get there and accepting it. I called last week and said, "Look in my bad and be sure I only got one onion because it said they were 75 cents each and I'm being billed a buck and a half. " It was one onion, one huge f'ing onion.

Kroger, I quit using but had to use this week because my regular one didn't have proper pork chops, of all things. Kroger doesn't show you the fill until it's too late. They show anything out or substituted and pay no attention to the fact I said no substitutions. They're too hard to deal with once the mistake is made, so I got out of the car and looked through the bags before I let the drive-up guy leave. I hated it because he stood there right by me, which defeats the purpose of drive-up, but I am so tired of these pullers just putting anything in there they want to.

And you know, it's never something cheaper...

Reactions: ConanHub

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
People are hoarding where I live again BUT I have always found this out of stock business to be an issue specifically with Walmart. I would bet that if you were to physically walk through the store you would find all of those items that are labeled as out of stock online. It is so frustrating trying to order anything from them. Their online system is never up to date.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Yes, things are starting to go out of stock. Even canned soups, ramen noodles, paper products. Bare spaces.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Thus far, I haven't seen a shortage as far as fresh food is concerned. However, frozen veggies are often in short supply. I think that has been the case for months. Paper towels are very scarce at my local Safeway store. The toilet paper panic is once again evident. Cleaning supplies are also scarce. Forget finding Clorox or Lysol products.

I'll be heading to the grocery store later this week. I'll check to see how the inventory looks in the meat and dairy departments and report back.

One thing I know for sure: Prices have gone up significantly since this whole thing started. Yikes!

Reactions: ConanHub

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
With the covid numbers rising, and talk of more shutdowns, people are starting to hoard again for sure. I also know quite a few people who are stocking up now because they don't want to be going out when the Christmas rush starts.

There are a few random items I haven't been able to find lately (english muffins, egg noodles, etc) but I haven't noticed anything crazy, yet. Granted I order almost all of my groceries for delivery because I'm lazy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just put in a pretty big order to be delivered tomorrow morning. I did notice a lot of the paper products were out of stock. They had eggs though. Sometimes they’ll say out of stock but a lot of times it doesn’t say this until they send you that dreaded email an hour before delivery time that they don’t have something.

When I first started ordering though, it was right when Covid broke out and they were out of almost everything I ordered, even though it said ‘in stock‘ at the time. I haven’t seen any Lysol around here for months and months still.

Hopefully it won’t be be like that again with the shortages, but I’m getting worried now after reading the responses lol. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

All in all, I’ve been loving the online ordering though! No crowds to wade through. Just a few clicks and BAM someone else has to climb the stairs with my groceries. It’s usually pretty seamless. If they substitute, it’s always been something better. So far, so good. * knock on wood *

Except last week I ordered some iceberg lettuce. They didn’t have it for some reason, but then they substituted 2 packages of romaine lettuce instead. I should’ve been happy but then I saw where there was a recall on romaine lettuce at Walmart and even though it was a different wrapper, I’m not taking any chances lol.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We got all our Thanksgiving stuff we could buy ahead in late October, figuring that there would be a huge jump in households putting a Thanksgiving on. Lots of people putting on a Thanksgiving for the first time in their lives most likely.

Already it seems to be lotsa luck if you want a 10-12 lb turkey for a nuclear family Thanksgiving, so fully expecting there to be a huge buying panic this week / weekend. If you don't have your stuff already, I'd hit the stores no later than Friday night.

Otherwise, there's some minor shortages and lack of shelf stocking, but no different than it's been for months on end now.

We do a lot of shopping at Aldi and eggs were 89c a dozen this week.

·
Administrator
44,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to Kroger a couple weeks ago. Their shelves are not fully stocked and the frozen vegetables were scarce. Went to Publix last night and their shelves were reasonably stocked, but they had very little available in the frozen vegetable section.
A couple of weeks ago things were not too bad here. It's gotten much worse in the last week.

A bit ago, I read a news story that reported that about 20 states are experiencing runs on their grocery stores. The showed rows of empty shelves.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
There are not any shortages here as far as I can tell, and all but a couple of specialty items were in stock yesterday.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Thus far, I haven't seen a shortage as far as fresh food is concerned. However, frozen veggies are often in short supply. I think that has been the case for months. Paper towels are very scarce at my local Safeway store. The toilet paper panic is once again evident. Cleaning supplies are also scarce. Forget finding Clorox or Lysol products.

I'll be heading to the grocery store later this week. I'll check to see how the inventory looks in the meat and dairy departments and report back.

One thing I know for sure: Prices have gone up significantly since this whole thing started. Yikes!

Agree! A pound of bacon is about the same price as a fillet steak is per pound! I paid $8.99 for a pack of bacon last night - not even a pound package anymore, it's 12 ounces!

·
Super Moderator
8,349 Posts
Here in NE Florida I haven't noticed anything unusual. Governor DeSantis has already said he's not shutting anything down so that's probably a big reason.

And he shouldn't. Most of Florida's covid issues have been in the Miami Dade area with all of the bars and partying that goes on down there.

Florida maintains a covid by county page and while there has been some case spiking there have been very few additional deaths.

Things are pretty quiet here.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Back in early April, I stocked up on jarred spaghetti sauce, dry pasta, dry beans, and rice. Not my idea of glamor dining, but I'm prepared for any panic that may break out. As long as I can get my weekly dose of fresh veggies, I'm okay. And toilet paper ... I ordered from Amazon back at the beginning of the hysteria and have enough tp to last me at least until June '21.

It seems that panic buying is firing up in states where the governors are putting lockdowns back in place.

Reactions: Ragnar Ragnasson

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Have not noticed many empty shelves here.

Costco last Friday morning was the busiest I’ve seen it since this all began, but seemed fully stocked (except didn’t notice Clorox brand wipes, though I apparently don’t know where to look, judging by other another shpper’s cart). Sunday was a close second.

Recently, Target seemed more full of cleaning supplies than in months past; their paper products shelves were a bit barer though than the last several visits.

Aldi’s seemed well stocked.

Geez, sounds like all I do is visit grocery stores. I even left a couple out of my report, lol.

Midwest US.

Reactions: Blondilocks

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Has started in my state here too, we're having another outbreak. We've had restrictions put back, and lockdown appears likely, but I still don't get why people panic buy?? Even during the last lockdown supermarkets remained open?? It doesn't make sense?

·
Premium Member
14,119 Posts
So either:

• It's the end of the world where you live
  • You have a food shortage thanks to bloody hoarders (I hope they get what's coming to them :mad: )
  • Or the online store hasn't been updated because they laid off the staff who updated the store
  • Or Walmart is just incompetent, full stop.

What other grocery shops you got in the states? Don't tell me Walmart is a monopoly - where I live we have Coles/Woolworths/Aldi

1 - 20 of 41 Posts