Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! As this year draws to a close and a new one is about to begin you can't help but think of what you would like to do differently in the following year. I'm still young but not getting any younger and I'm getting to a point in my life where I feel "stuck". I don't want to be stuck I want to do something for me that truly makes me happy but at the same time what I want to do takes time, pays little, but very gratifying liberal arts (writing, acting etc). I did this years ago and had to stop I want to pick up where I left off.

The next issue I have is that at the moment I'm the Sole bread winner. It will take a year or two before my husband can work again. Barring nothing bad happens (recovering from a kidney transplant they deem you cured after 3 years.) I'm a dreamer but also a realists. So I figured to get my things together while he is recovering and go from there. I'm getting a plan together but I'm scared. For the first time in a long time I'm forced to focus on me and that scares me. I need to man up and do this but I'm afraid of failure but also afraid to try. My husband is very very very supportive so I have support.

So here I'am almost 30 and clue less. I don't want to work at the front desk forever. But I'm also trying to get over being a chicken S***. Have any of you been here or are here now? What did you do? Or didn't do? I feel sort of alone in this and wonder do I have the guts to break away from a traditional job into an non traditional line of work in this economy? Thanks in advance. For any advice, and or insight. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
So here I'am almost 30 and clue less. I don't want to work at the front desk forever. But I'm also trying to get over being a chicken S***. Have any of you been here or are here now? What did you do? Or didn't do? I feel sort of alone in this and wonder do I have the guts to break away from a traditional job into an non traditional line of work in this economy? Thanks in advance. For any advice, and or insight. Thanks for reading.
Is there something in-between, at least for now? Can you do something you love in your free time (writing a column for a small paper or joining a local theater group) to see if you would love doing that? It might give you a chance to see what it would be like while you wait until you are no longer the sole bread winner.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tall Thank you so much for reading and I love your suggestion I thought about doing something like that but I wanted to wait and see to make sure my husband was in the clear (for now). I think next year I'm going to start college again and take up a few courses and see where that takes me. I thought about the small theater group but the problem is a lot of times it conflicts with my shift I work early afternoon evenings. So I'm trying to find that balance. But for right now I think I'm going to do what you suggested. Thank you so much for reading.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
So your dream isn't a 8-5 white collar job with holidays and paid sick days off? Where when you get home from work you don't have to worry about work at all, you can just go to work, do your job and come home and enjoy your life at home?
Maybe thats just me.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
So your dream isn't a 8-5 white collar job with holidays and paid sick days off? Where when you get home from work you don't have to worry about work at all, you can just go to work, do your job and come home and enjoy your life at home?
Maybe thats just me.
:iagree:

That's me too. Go to work then come home and leave work at work.

I like my white collar job with the good health insurance, paid days off, steady 8-5 hours, perks like training in other states where they put me up in a hotel and pay for the airfare. I like not having to find clients or hustle for the next assignment. There are benefits to a white collar professional job. But I realize it's not for everyone. I feel thankful in this economy to even have a job!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ha ha no I have no benefits no healthcare I work 1-8 and its a small business. I don/'t get paid sick days none of that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no two weeks vacay. I really don't have vacation days either. This question is not for everyone obviously its geared toward those that are going through something similar.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I really feel for you. This is becoming more prevalent in today's crummy economy. You are working for someone who is giving you no benefits. The problem with small businesses are the owners are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Suggestion for you to ponder. Have you considered applying for jobs with the state or federal government? I'm not saying you need to be stuck there, but you would get decent benefits while you work towards your dream.

Do you know other people who are pursuing their dream by starting their own businesses? If so, how about getting their feedback and ideas on how you can go about it.

If you don't know people like this, seek them out. Knowledge is power. Research thoroughly. Network. We are living with a shaky economy. Lots of folks scrambling for whatever they can get, and it's not pretty in the work world.

Don't let go of your dreams, but gather as much info. and knowledge you can before you pursue them. I wish you the very best!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much Prodigal. And you are 100% correct. I'm not going to quit my current job and just jump right in and the city I live in they just had cut backs so jobs are really scarce. I'm doing some research now and I'm trying to figure out out to do both. I'm happy to have a job but I'm not happy at my job there is no where for me to go up I can't move up. And frankly I want something of MY Own.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will take time this I know. But thank you for understanding where I was coming from, I don't want to sound in grateful I really don't but i have been here three years and it's the same ol same ol day in and day out and I can't do this another 3-4 years. I just can't. But I stay positive and keep my head up.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I'm glad I was young and in my prime when this country hadn't gone to pot. Honestly, even though we had double-digit inflation under President Carter, I don't recall anyone being out of work, or working at these low-paying, no benefit crap jobs. We had loooonnnngggg gas lines, but heck ... we all got out of our cars, drank coffee, and joked around while waiting to fill up our cars.

One possibility would be to get on the usajobs.gov website. The federal government is still hiring. They may have agencies in your area. It doesn't hurt to go to their massive website and put in a search engine to see what is available.

I hope you can take some time off at Christmas to be with your family.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.