Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was fun but abit embarrassing. I've let myself go a bit since seperation (I get skinny naturally when I laze about, while for my wife when she lazes she gets fat :p ) and I've realised my wife's strength is getting on par with mine, she's always been strong but... it was rather difficult to overpower her last night =/

The thing about me is that I have to eat 3 meals a day min lest I start losing weight, 5 meals to gain weight due to metabolism issues and during the day I can't always have time to eat 5 meals. I've resorted to protein shakes and tuna cans as well as just doing pushups/situps/pullups at work - no time for gym. It should take me a month to get back to standard.

Is there an easier way for fast metabolism folks like me?

·
Administrator
45,082 Posts
You sound like one of my sisters. She has always been slender. Her life long complaint is how much she was to eat to not look like a toothpick woman. She has had to even get up in the middle of the night to eat.

I only wish I was so cursed... :D

·
Administrator
45,082 Posts
Last night was fun but abit embarrassing. I've let myself go a bit since seperation (I get skinny naturally when I laze about, while for my wife when she lazes she gets fat :p ) and I've realised my wife's strength is getting on par with mine, she's always been strong but... it was rather difficult to overpower her last night =/

The thing about me is that I have to eat 3 meals a day min lest I start losing weight, 5 meals to gain weight due to metabolism issues and during the day I can't always have time to eat 5 meals. I've resorted to protein shakes and tuna cans as well as just doing pushups/situps/pullups at work - no time for gym. It should take me a month to get back to standard.

Is there an easier way for fast metabolism folks like me?
You have already started doing the right thing. Find healthy foods and keep a stock of them at home, at work, etc.

My high metabalism sister even has a stash of food she keeps in the car in a luch box. She does not leave it out in the car in hot weather but she can carry it with her when she drives around.

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect stargate, like myself, probably has to work *really* hard to stay at ideal weight and so has little sympathy for the challenges fast metabolism folks face :D
Hey, being naturally skinny ain't good either ya know! We have to work HARD to even maintain the darn bulk! And our body shifts very rapidly so I can't even have a week off before I start losing weight and my wife goes... ATTEN-HUT!!!:

You have already started doing the right thing. Find healthy foods and keep a stock of them at home, at work, etc.

My high metabalism sister even has a stash of food she keeps in the car in a luch box. She does not leave it out in the car in hot weather but she can carry it with her when she drives around.
That's all I can do? Is there a way to slow down the metabolism? My metabolism also justified my alcoholism as I needed the beer to increase my carb intake. Now since quitting it's a little harder.

·
Administrator
45,082 Posts
That's all I can do? Is there a way to slow down the metabolism? My metabolism also justified my alcoholism as I needed the beer to increase my carb intake. Now since quitting it's a little harder.
Oh yea there are ways to slow down and completely distroy your metabolism. You do not want to do that because once you do you will be fighting fat.

As you age your metabolism will slow on it's own. Then you will complain about that :)

Find healthy, high cal foods to eat. Avocados are a good one.

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
But if I can slow it down just a tad?
You know? So it can be more balanced? Is it possible? I have no idea lol

EDIT: I've never reached my prime weight for a while now, been fluctuating. Also, is it true that too many ejaculations depletes your body the protein it needs to heal and grow? I can never get a straight answer with that, because if it's true...

EDIT2:

Also, I wish I have a slower metabolism because no matter what I do, I can NEVER be this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UTRatjSZ_CM/SoLJwl60SLI/AAAAAAAABgU/Mnee_apEbgU/s1600/Muscle+men+633.jpg

I'm always like this at best:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vzBjkcne7qI/TtJYjXGxAlI/AAAAAAAADBs/bl5-Swc6ggM/s1600/+muscle+men5.jpg

IT SUCKS -.-

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
RandomDude,

Enjoy all the extra meals and energy shakes as unless you have a defined medical condition (such as an overactive thyroid) your metabolism will slow as you age.
From puberty through to my mid twenties I struggled to maintain my weight at one stage when my rugby coach wanted me to gain weight I was on a 5000 calorie a day diet. For me the ten years after that were stable but since then keeping weight of has been more of a problem.
I think many men have a similar problem we start out young and full of energy, playing sport, physically demanding work, struggling to keep weight on but by middle age we do not exercise as much, have sedentary occupations, struggling to keep weight off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
RandomDude,

Enjoy all the extra meals and energy shakes as unless you have a defined medical condition (such as an overactive thyroid) your metabolism will slow as you age.
From puberty through to my mid twenties I struggled to maintain my weight at one stage when my rugby coach wanted me to gain weight I was on a 5000 calorie a day diet. For me the ten years after that were stable but since then keeping weight of has been more of a problem.
I think many men have a similar problem we start out young and full of energy, playing sport, physically demanding work, struggling to keep weight on but by middle age we do not exercise as much, have sedentary occupations, struggling to keep weight off.
I agree with this ^. How old are you btw?

I noticed at around 30 my metabolism has slowed, so I need to adjust how I eat accordingly now.

I dont think there is anything you can take to slow your metabolism, but to bulk up you need to eat alot of protein do gym (not cardio) and steroids helps aswell!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Erm, no thanks to steroids lol
I second that (unless under doctors orders).
I saw two guys I used to play rugby with go down that slippery slope. One had a heart attack at 30 and the other became so muscle bound he could no longer play.

I will have to look some of the guys from the team up. its been more than 15 years since I gave up playing and I do miss it (but not the injuries).

·
Banned
8,908 Posts
I'm with the others. Your metabolism will slow with age, although I know some people in their 40's that are still high metabolism.

My thoughts... Don't worry so much about lean protein. Worry about getting caloric-dense food, like nuts, fats, etc. Don't just eat a can of tuna, slap on some regular mayo, some cheese, and make a sandwich. Don't just have a protein shake, throw in a quarter cup of peanut butter. Nuts in general are a good choice, for that matter. Keep a container of almonds around, and snack at will. Keep meal replacement bars and drinks around.

C

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nuts in general are a good choice, for that matter. Keep a container of almonds around, and snack at will. Keep meal replacement bars and drinks around.

C
I have to agree with that my old coach used to tell us to eat as many nuts as we could though do go easy on the salted ones unless you are taking on loads of fluid.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
you are me in some ways.

You are fine, unless you are unhealthy. Nothing wrong with being trim. I am always surprised by the number of people that always conflate 'fit' with 'thin' however. No no no.

But I could always eat like a freight train. From the time I was 15 until I was about... I dont know...45, I could simply eat anything and everything and never gain a pound. I could wipe out a half a pan of lasagna and wash it down with a 6-pack of guiness... no effect. That said - I never drink soda and dont eat alot of junk or sweets - so I am not a total gluttinous goober.

solution: wait until you are 50. Then you will suddenly notice you have put on 10 Lbs - and the idea of changing your diet will seem totally alien. I know I was stunned.

My downfall is crackers and cheese. aybe some summer sausage with it. I snack on this maybe 3-4 times+ a week - I get home late and always wind up eating/snacking from when I get home almost until the time I go to bed. I need to cut back.

anyway - just eat healthy. You're fine. Screw the protein shakes and the like - thats all nonsense to me. 'breakfast bars' they are more candy than healthy. Have a steak and a salad and enjoy your cullinary freedom - not everyone is so lucky.

Seriosusly - look at the ingredients of all the prepared-insta-food suppliments. Fillers, flours, whey, sugars and some ground up 'vitamins' to make it look good. Eat real food. Have an orange for crissakes. ;)

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I used to be like you. I used to drink 1,000 calorie milkshakes trying to gain weight (never worked btw). My husband too was stick thin. And now my son is the same - can eat anything and looks like a toothpick.

Now my husband and I are 46 and we have to count calories to stay thin. We both still have high metabolisms so dieting isn't hard. We just can't eat anything like we once could. Moderation is key.

So my advice to you is this. LET IT GO. Forget the shakes, forget trying to lower your metabolism, just enjoy your youth because I PROMISE you it won't last. Focus on your health and don't worry so much about your size.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
solution: wait until you are 50. Then you will suddenly notice you have put on 10 Lbs - and the idea of changing your diet will seem totally alien. I know I was stunned.
This made me laugh out loud because it's so true. Except for me it hit earlier because I had babies in my 30's. For the first time ever I had to diet and I just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I was stunned too. LOL

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.