Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off with sharing a bit of background. My husband and I have been married 12 years, since I was 23 years of age. We have two children, ages 10 and 8.

My husband cheated on me when I was pregnant with our younger child, and our sex life has suffered immensely.

Over the years, I realized that I can only get turned on, aroused and excited by imagining I AM someone else! Sometimes I imagine we are both other people, or he is himself and I am someone else. I never imagine him as someone else and me as who I really am.

It bothers me quite a lot that I can't have intimacy with him unless I think I am someone totally different.

I have to add in there, that when my husband an I separated for a year, I was involved with a man I'd known most of my life for about a month, and with him, I could be myself. Just not myself with my husband.

When he tells me he loves me and that I'm beautiful I get upset and annoyed. I have gained quite a bit of weight and can't lose it. (I am currently being tested to find out why.)

Any insight on why I have to fantasize I am someone else? I tried searching for similar stories, but couldnt' find anything like this.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward for your responses. I just want to be able to "be myself" when I am with my husband.

·
Administrator
45,167 Posts
When did this thing of imagining yourself as someone else start?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not a physchologist or anything like that, but it seems to me that you're not over the fact that your husband cheated on you.

Maybe, in some way, it is your coping mechanism while you are having sex with your husband, to guard yourself against the pain that you still feel due to him cheating years ago. Many people would not be able to have sex with their husbands/wives after they'd been with someone else! Maybe, you can't picture yourself having sex with him due to bottled up pain, so instead you picture someone else doing it? and if you're wanting to be you - then the guy you're having sex with cannot be your husband for the same reason.

Do you love yourself and have a good self esteem? or do you often wish that you were a different person or looked different/lost that extra weight, so that your husband would think that you were more beautiful and would only have eyes for you?

I don't know if it is a problem, but if you're worried about it, you could always go and chat to a professional about it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It started immediatly upon my husband and I deciding to work on our marriage and get back together. If I don't imagine myself as someone else, sex won't happen. I don't get in the mood at all, no matter what he tries, or I try.

I have not told him this, by the way. He has no idea that I have to pretend I'm another woman to be with him.

I've seen so many fantasize about their partner being somone else. I just find it so odd that I have to be someone else.

The other odd thing is that I can no longer go down on him. It repulses me because even now, I can only think about where else he has been. And I just can't get past that. I try to think about how his past girlfriends prior to me never mattered, but this does.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a physchologist or anything like that, but it seems to me that you're not over the fact that your husband cheated on you.

Maybe, in some way, it is your coping mechanism while you are having sex with your husband, to guard yourself against the pain that you still feel due to him cheating years ago. Many people would not be able to have sex with their husbands/wives after they'd been with someone else! Maybe, you can't picture yourself having sex with him due to bottled up pain, so instead you picture someone else doing it? and if you're wanting to be you - then the guy you're having sex with cannot be your husband for the same reason.

Do you love yourself and have a good self esteem? or do you often wish that you were a different person or looked different/lost that extra weight, so that your husband would think that you were more beautiful and would only have eyes for you?

I don't know if it is a problem, but if you're worried about it, you could always go and chat to a professional about it?
My self esteem is horrible! My weight is a big part of that. I can't accept that I am fat, and that all my attempts to lose it have failed.

There really isn't anything I like about myself anymore. Prior to marrying my husband, I felt attractive, could dress nice, got hit on, had fun. Now, I don't look good in anything, and people can't believe I am his wife. I'm actually embarrassed for him to be seen in public with me. :( I did tell him that, and he told me that he is proud to be with me and that is all that matters.

·
Administrator
45,167 Posts
I agree with surferchick. She posted what I was thinking so won't reapeat that part of it.

You are clearly not over his infidelity.

This thing of imagining yourself as someone else could actually be a bad sign as it sounds like you are detaching emotionally. I think you would benefit from some individual counseling on this.

What did the two of you do to repair your marriage? Did you go to counseling? What did he do to prove to you that you can trust him?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems to me that you need to start working on your self esteem and body issues. If you're embarassed for HIM to be seen with YOU in public, then deep down inside perhaps you also don't think you're good enough to be having sex with him! That is really sad (and very wrong). He cheated on you - not the other way around.

I strongly feel that you should go and speak to someone about this, to get the tools you need to work on your self image and to learn to love yourself again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went through several rounds of couples therapy and I have went to individual counseling frequently. My husband knows how badly I wanted a farm so he moved us to five acres in a small town and we built our coop and raised our chickens as a family. He has done things to give me happiness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I imagine myself as book or movie charaters usually. Sometimes I imagine myself as the girl he cheated on me with, which freaks me out. Other times I imagine myself as a very fit redhead who went through some.traumatic event and wind up in the arms of a compassionate loving man. It has varied over the years. Currently I imagine myself as one of the Game of Thrones" characters.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
422 Posts
I imagine myself as book or movie charaters usually. Sometimes I imagine myself as the girl he cheated on me with, which freaks me out. Other times I imagine myself as a very fit redhead who went through some.traumatic event and wind up in the arms of a compassionate loving man. It has varied over the years. Currently I imagine myself as one of the Game of Thrones" characters.
Posted via Mobile Device
It sounds to me like you maybe just have a rich imagination.

Not necessarily a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
The only reason I find it a problem is I can't be myself. If I am, sex literally does not happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100%. It's your way of avoiding intimacy while stilling getting turned on and being sexual. You have good reason to be worried.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Any advice on how to handle this?
Posted via Mobile Device
1. Recognise it's a problem. You've done that.
2. Search for why. You're doing that now on this thread but also I think
3. Marriage counciling.
4. And a book called "His Needs / Her needs". It's not specific to your thread but really explains how to build intimacy in marriage.

We know you have an emotional wall but don't feel like it's hopeless. Read up and see what you learn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.