Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I both have very public jobs and I know that we have both been told that our Facebook pages are reflections of us and our employers.

Well last year I found my husband complaining on Facebook ... About his boss. I immediately told him to take it down! He did, reluctantly.
I rarely get on there and post but last night I noticed that he was in a verbal spat with someone. The back and forth led to names being called, the President being called a "di&k" and my husband going off about how the state we live in is a "joke" and "full of lunatics".

I immediately asked him to take it down. I was nice but I told him I thought it was a very poor reflection on both of us. He was very angry at me and said that he deserves a voice and he is "sorry if he embarrasses me".

I told him this is job preservation above everything else! He is friends with former bosses, colleagues... You name it!

He did take it down but the problem is he won't LISTEN! He is listed as married to me... And I an worried about what he's done. Especially since he has done this repeatedly ...even after promising he wouldn't.

Am I too tough?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
ive said it once and i will say it again,

nothing good ever comes from using facebook, it is a cancer to society, you are better off without it, the entire world would be better off without facebook,

i would not touch it with a 100 foot pole, no thanks

its a shame most people can not realize that,
I agree, but it's a new world these days. I've been curious about how things will play out with all this new technology that keeps EVERYONE involved in others' lives at such intimate yet impersonal levels. So far I've seen a big jump in privacy controls, fewer people valuing their own privacy and security, and an overall drop in performance. The news yesterday had a story here about how text messaging is starting to trend downward for the first time in years, though. I'm interested to see if that continues.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People at my workplace have gotten fired for their Facebook rants and comments!

At the very least, I think he should avoid listing me as his wife. That way he can take himself down... Without me!

My husband and I both have very public jobs and I know that we have both been told that our Facebook pages are reflections of us and our employers.

Well last year I found my husband complaining on Facebook ... About his boss. I immediately told him to take it down! He did, reluctantly.
I rarely get on there and post but last night I noticed that he was in a verbal spat with someone. The back and forth led to names being called, the President being called a "di&k" and my husband going off about how the state we live in is a "joke" and "full of lunatics".

I immediately asked him to take it down. I was nice but I told him I thought it was a very poor reflection on both of us. He was very angry at me and said that he deserves a voice and he is "sorry if he embarrasses me".

I told him this is job preservation above everything else! He is friends with former bosses, colleagues... You name it!

He did take it down but the problem is he won't LISTEN! He is listed as married to me... And I an worried about what he's done. Especially since he has done this repeatedly ...even after promising he wouldn't.

Am I too tough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20,603 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It might be the way you handled the situation. Maybe not telling him to take it down in that way but explaining why you disagree with certain posts.

I understand where you are coming from though, there is a way to present yourself online especially when you have bosses and colleagues as friends. I would've approached my husband as well if he said inappropriate things on Facebook, but I wouldn't demand he take it down. He mostly networks and promotes his businesses plus he has minor relatives on there. I'm not saying to pretend to be someone else, but present your best self, as it is a reflection of you. I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about some people on FB.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Ridiculous. Facebook, to me, is a bit of fun, it's not a reflection of my husband, my family, or my employers, it's a reflection of me. It's being taken way too seriously, IMO. That being said, though, people should not rant about their employers on there, as it seems to be the equivalent CLM as running naked through the board room while the president is having his quarterly meeting.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
People at my workplace have gotten fired for their Facebook rants and comments!
I know enough about this subject (from my work) to know that anything you put on something like FB can possibly be seen by ANYONE until the end of time.

No, you can't control what your H writes on FB, but I sure as hell would sit him down and tell him that you are concerned about what he's doing, and how it could cause harm to your family...after he gets canned at work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
WE don't do 'Facebook' and have no desire to. Reading posts from this site and another I'm a member of where FB has brought nothing but disaster to relationships reinforces for me I want nothing to do with it.

It isolates people from relationships, it does not build them. We see it all the time. For ex: a restaurant where people USED to go and have dinner with family/friends to interact, talk, laugh, etc. Now, they still go to the restaurants but they're silent - all have an iphone in their faces.... I ask: Why bother going out when you can do that at home? Sad really!!!

One of our sons got a job working at a well know corporation with a boss who used to work for somewhere else. The first thing He was told when hired by his old boss: SHUT DOWN YOUR FACEBOOK!!!! Companies do use this to verify the character of the person they're considering to hire/promote.

My advice to you: close your FB account down; stop using it. Then you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know enough about this subject (from my work) to know that anything you put on something like FB can possibly be seen by ANYONE until the end of time.
very true,

and dont be fooled by the facebook "privacy controls" thinking you can hide things, YOU CAN NOT!....an experienced tech savy person can easily get a hold of ALL YOUR PICTURES AND EVERYTHING YOU WRITE!

i am in the IT field ;)

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually HAVE to use Facebook for work. It's part of my job. And my boss has rights to my page, as well.

I have NO choice. My husband does.

WE don't do 'Facebook' and have no desire to. Reading posts from this site and another I'm a member of where FB has brought nothing but disaster to relationships reinforces for me I want nothing to do with it.

It isolates people from relationships, it does not build them. We see it all the time. For ex: a restaurant where people USED to go and have dinner with family/friends to interact, talk, laugh, etc. Now, they still go to the restaurants but they're silent - all have an iphone in their faces.... I ask: Why bother going out when you can do that at home? Sad really!!!

One of our sons got a job working at a well know corporation with a boss who used to work for somewhere else. The first thing He was told when hired by his old boss: SHUT DOWN YOUR FACEBOOK!!!! Companies do use this to verify the character of the person they're considering to hire/promote.

My advice to you: close your FB account down; stop using it. Then you have nothing to worry about.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually HAVE to use Facebook for work. It's part of my job. And my boss has rights to my page, as well.

Posted via Mobile Device
now that is what i call scary....and dangerous

that is basically giving your boss an open window into your personal life....i would be looking for a new job....no way i would put up with that, i dont care how well it payed

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's just my line of work/business. But it's the same thing for my husband.... His bosses have told him to be careful too.

I just feel like he's a loose cannon!

now that is what i call scary....and dangerous

that is basically giving your boss an open window into your personal life....i would be looking for a new job....no way i would put up with that, i dont care how well it payed
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
At my company, Our new employee handbook (that everyone had to sign a confirmation page)..

Has a new section on social media. It does state that the company has a right to fire us based on our posts on any social media site. (dOES NOT MATTER if we have a "personal" page and a "work" page. They can fire based off of either page.)

If we mention the company, we have to put a disclaimer that these are the views of "myself only" and does not reflect the views of the company.

LOL... I so wanted to post to facebook the next day... that
"I love my job. I love the company I work for... Oh, by the way, these are the views of myself only and these opinions do not accurately reflect the views of the company."

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can't you just have a 'work' FB and one for personal? Honestly, my employers have no business dictating what I put on my personal page.
I feel the same. I'm getting my masters degree and one of the things that the professors and other students keep talking about is how employers are asking for FB access. I've also heard from my husbands business colleagues that they will look at your page before interviewing or hiring you.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Pfff...let them look, I say. They can look through all my 1000's of pics of my friends, family, kids...they can try to decipher my crazy cryptic GD related posts...and if they want to fire me for it, go for it, but expect to be taking to the highest courts in the land over it.

Once I posted, "Dear Bosses...do not wait until 5pm on a Friday to ask me to review something with you. Thank you.". I imagine the company could come back and fire me for daring to say something like that, but really...it's not quite the same thing as "I'm going to come in here on Monday with a rifle and shoot my manager because he made me stay late.".

Maybe a little common sense would go a long way on BOTH sides of the FB debate, with regards to employers and the FB pages of their employees.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.