Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We both work FT (sometimes overtime) in stressful jobs.

I try very hard to leave my work problems at work, and I would say I am largely successful in doing so. I try to make an effort to be happy and cheerful by the time I get home from work, because I realized quickly that a south attitude can really bring down the whole family pretty quick.

My husband is not so good with this. I try to give him time to unwind after work and let him come to me. The problem is that increasingly, when he comes to me, he starts immediately by saying something negative or snapping at me. "When's dinner going to be ready?" Or my favorite "What's wrong with you?" If I make any move towards him!

Its hard to describe...its just a negative attitude that hangs like a cloud in the house. I would like to ask him to stop behaving this way, but I fear that he will withdraw if I point it out and/or become defensive and angry.

I think it's OK to be stressed and have things on your mind...lord knows I do. But I also feel its important for us to make sure we shelter our children and our family time from some of that. Is that delusional? I know that might be hard to ask, and I have had trouble doing it myself until the last year or so. I am now taking Meds and starting IC to better handle my stress and keep my home life happy.

Anyhow...should I say something or just let it go? When he walks in and just starts snapping at me or the kids, its just...ew. It makes me cringe. And the kids don't understand why they are getting yelled at either.

He does calm down after dinner usually...but I could still do without the whole ordeal first thing upon getting home from my own crazy day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes, I'd definitely say something.

Let me ask... Is he diabetic? Or on any meds that would be wearing off about supper time?

I ask, because, sometimes when "its time to eat".. for me or hubby (both of us diabetic).. it's TIME to eat... Like NOW!. A lower blood sugar can make some people Extremely grouchy, touchy, grumpy, snappy... you pick the word. And they don't even know what is causing it. Sometimes don't even realize they are snappy.

Then, after they eat & blood sugar goes back up, they are back to a normal state of mind... (even sometimes if that normal state is stressed & not happy go lucky)..

There are many many a time, that after dinner either my hubby or myself has apologized & said "Sorry I snapped. I must have been hungry".

Not saying to use it as an excuse for him, but maybe he doesn't realize how bad it is getting, because he's sort of getting used to it as his normal attitude after work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.