Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been guilty of hiring PIs with my wife. It just didn't sit well with me to think a woman with a drive like hers could possibly be loyal, but, it is what it is.

She's always been transparent with her phone/email/outings, never once lied where she was, and hence I guess I wasted quite abit of money on PIs for this "peace of mind" trying to look for cracks on the otherwise solid wall. But the worst thing is that I have allowed my wife's privacy to become compromised to satisfy my own paranoia. Have you ever done something like this?

Do you feel guilty?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I never had the money to hire a PI. I would have though. I used to feel guilty when I thought about going through anything of my XW's, so I did not. I paid for that mistake. Feeling normal non-debilitating guilt is good. It shows I have feelings and am not a cold machine.

Privacy? What's that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm,I think I will feel so much guilt if I snoop and there was nothing to worry about!and feeling shameful will build some anxiety that I don't like to deal with.I don't know your story but it seem that your wife is agood girl.if I discovered that my husband is spying on me it will destroy the trust / relation between us.dont break something hard to fix later on.good luck

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
I've been guilty of hiring PIs with my wife. It just didn't sit well with me to think a woman with a drive like hers could possibly be loyal, but, it is what it is.

She's always been transparent with her phone/email/outings, never once lied where she was, and hence I guess I wasted quite abit of money on PIs for this "peace of mind" trying to look for cracks on the otherwise solid wall. But the worst thing is that I have allowed my wife's privacy to become compromised to satisfy my own paranoia. Have you ever done something like this?

Do you feel guilty?
How was your wife's privacy compromised? Did you hack her bank accounts?

I snooped and I'm gad I did. My fiance lied about the true nature of his "friendship" with his ex and I would have wasted my time with him.

I find it interesting the self-righteous in these situations. I did find a lot of information about her just by searching on her e-mail address. My fiancé called that creepy.

I pointed out to him that this was publicly available information and she knew for example, that the profiles she created of herself on meetup were public.

I contrasted that with the fact that she asked repeatedly about our sex life; she asked him what did he see in a 50 yo woman ........ and he fulfilled her information requests.

A woman asking about my sex life, now THAT's creepy and I told him that he should have at least given me a head's up that he was going to make our sex life publicly to anyone who asked about it. That shut him up real quick.

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
I have to investigate people at work. Not going to do it at home, too. If I can't trust her, I don't need her. If I aint enough to keep her around, I'll help her pack.

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, I guess I feel guilty because I found nothing. I guess I wouldn't if I found something after all when I snooped.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Heh, I guess I feel guilty because I found nothing. I guess I wouldn't if I found something after all when I snooped.
This topic has been brought up in a couple of threads now. To snoop or not to snoop. First it is a natural reaction when faced with a difficult situation with one's spouse/so. But that doesn't mean that it is a healthy or good reaction. I think to start you need to be honest with yourself about your motives. You, RandomDude, admitted that your wife did nothing wrong other than essentially being to good to be true. When you snoop you are essentially looking for a away to make yourself feel better about yourself by making her feel worse. In other words, your intent while snooping was to find her doing SOMETHING wrong and HOPING that she did so that you can take it to her! (Not to mention that you need to find something she did wrong to justify the guilt and betrayal.) It really is less about an invasion of privacy in the case of looking at her online activities (after all she has allowed you access to these places because she trusts you) But snooping of that kind inevitably leads to ramping up the surveillance. Because that what it becomes. Surveillance and monitering. You become obsessed with finding something out of place. Nothing on facebook? Hire a PI.

In your case you didn't find anything, right? How did it make you feel about yourself? Guilty? A little dirty? Like you let her down? Dissappointed in yourself? Realize all the time you wasted being suspicious? Hoping she doesn't find out because you know she's be rightfully ticked? Conflicted onto whether you should tell her what you did? So let me reiterate that when you snoop, and especially as you ramp up the methods of surveillance, it becomes necessary for you to find wrong doing on your spouses part to justify it all. What's worse, if you don't find something, you may convince yourself that the is duping you. You'll never be satisfied with the results because you know you did something wrong.

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
If I had no real reason to snoop I wouldn't just feel guilty I think I would feel foolish or that maybe I had some issues with insecurity coming from somewhere other than my spouse.

I have snooped when I had good reason to believe I was being lied to.And my husbands behavior was odd.Before that it just never would have occurred to me .And no I don't feel guilty.He lied to me.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
This topic has been brought up in a couple of threads now. To snoop or not to snoop. First it is a natural reaction when faced with a difficult situation with one's spouse/so. But that doesn't mean that it is a healthy or good reaction. I think to start you need to be honest with yourself about your motives. You, RandomDude, admitted that your wife did nothing wrong other than essentially being to good to be true. When you snoop you are essentially looking for a away to make yourself feel better about yourself by making her feel worse. In other words, your intent while snooping was to find her doing SOMETHING wrong and HOPING that she did so that you can take it to her! (Not to mention that you need to find something she did wrong to justify the guilt and betrayal.) It really is less about an invasion of privacy in the case of looking at her online activities (after all she has allowed you access to these places because she trusts you) But snooping of that kind inevitably leads to ramping up the surveillance. Because that what it becomes. Surveillance and monitering. You become obsessed with finding something out of place. Nothing on facebook? Hire a PI.

In your case you didn't find anything, right? How did it make you feel about yourself? Guilty? A little dirty? Like you let her down? Dissappointed in yourself? Realize all the time you wasted being suspicious? Hoping she doesn't find out because you know she's be rightfully ticked? Conflicted onto whether you should tell her what you did? So let me reiterate that when you snoop, and especially as you ramp up the methods of surveillance, it becomes necessary for you to find wrong doing on your spouses part to justify it all. What's worse, if you don't find something, you may convince yourself that the is duping you. You'll never be satisfied with the results because you know you did something wrong.
whatever.......

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I'm with unbelievable. I've been with my husband for 23 years and I've never snooped. The only reason I will ever snoop would be to prove something I already know and then my next move would be to exit. I can't live with someone I don't trust.

·
Banned
124 Posts
When I used to snoop I never felt guilty because at the end of the day it's my job to protect myself. Most people never volunteer what they're doing, until caught, and I just didn't want to be one of those dumb-b*tches, ykiwm?

I feel like it's totally within my right to snoop, regardless of what the relationship status is. I see it as a sort of "maintenance", and if anyone ever had a problem with me "snooping", there's the door and the world is outside of it.

Keep in mind that every single man I dated cheated on me, even when I was loyal, hard-working, attractive, good in bed, made my own money. So now I see that as my God-given right, and there's no shame in my game. Sometimes I even joke around that I'm going to do "surprise inspections", and my husband thinks it's cute, because he's a good guy and doesn't have anything to worry about, and he loves that I love him.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
RD, no, I don't feel guilty for having snooped. Had I not, I wouldn't have learned of the OW. I never had the desire to "ramp up" surveillance. Not even once.

For the "FamilyTherapist" who posted above... somehow, I REALLY don't think RD is gonna fly from AUSTRALIA to LAS VEGAS, so there really was no need to plug your site. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
When you marry someone, you agree to
1. to be sexually faithful
2. emotionally faithful
3. to negotiate financial matters
4. to negotiate how you spend your time both free time and work related.......

in other words, you are offering an awful lot to someone, aka in investment and quite frankly, I feel that I get some unscheduled inspection rights.......

An as triggerhappy suggests, if you don't like it, tell your date upfront on the first date that you won't tolerate that kind of access from your partner even when you two are married..... there's the door KABOOM!

Hey, I bet your boss does it.....

1. monitoring your online usage
2. asking other who work with you their opinion of you even though that person may be in direct competition with you for company resources.......
3. doing background checks with and without your permission

and no one is complaining about that....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm with unbelievable. I've been with my husband for 23 years and I've never snooped. The only reason I will ever snoop would be to prove something I already know and then my next move would be to exit. I can't live with someone I don't trust.
That's interesiting. Snoop to find out something you already know vs something that you THINK you know. The motives are clearly different there.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
If you are so against snooping, why do it all? If you already "know" something and are ready to leave, why go against your values to snoop "to prove" something? You already know it. Right?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think full transparency is the way to go. But if you are constantly snooping and not finding
anything you should back off. I think that creates another problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
This is pretty much my answer... If I had reason to suspect anything.. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty about snooping though, I'd be looking out for ME...and I'd have every right to... he's never given me a reason to distrust him....he'd say the same about me as well.

I feel this way about our kids too.. If they aren't talking to me/us, giving us a Bad attitude /shady friends , might be into something not good for them...so long as they live under our roof, I'll go through their room. This too has never been an issue in our family -as yet though.

richie33 said: I think full transparency is the way to go.
This has always been our way...long before we married even.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.