Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of people across the country are wanting the economy to open back up even if it means more deaths. The economy seems to outweigh lives to some.

I thought of it like this, what if we could somehow speed up the process and just go ahead and trade some family member’s lives so we could get back to work. Personally I would not give up a child, parent, and sibling to get back to normal. I would rather face some hard times with all my family than to give up half of them so I could get back to normal.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I certainly don't have a magic right answer.

It's like schrodinger's cat.

Some folks will die, be killed in some manner in this new CVID19 timeline that wouldn't have and to some extent vice versa.

·
Administrator
43,630 Posts
I notice a lot of people across the country are wanting the economy to open back up even if it means more deaths. The economy seems to outweigh lives to some.

I thought of it like this, what if we could somehow speed up the process and just go ahead and trade some family member’s lives so we could get back to work. Personally I would not give up a child, parent, and sibling to get back to normal. I would rather face some hard times with all my family than to give up half of them so I could get back to normal.
But what about people who cannot pay rent and/or cannot buy food? Are you ok with them being put on the street and/or dying from that?

Something like 80-90% of those who get COVID-19 have no or non-life-threatening symptoms.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But what about people who cannot pay rent and/or cannot buy food? Are you ok with them being put on the street and/or dying from that?

Something like 80-90% of those who get COVID-19 have no or non-life-threatening symptoms.
Those are good points too. It’s a tough situation. It just seems like some are so casual about deaths. I wonder how many would actually die due to losing a job. I don’t personally know or even know of anyone in that kind of shape. Everyone is drawing unemployment.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
We are headed for massive permanent job loss.

You’ve got a nation of 325 million people on hold for a virus.

I get the quarantine upfront. Now there needs to be some common sense. However, common sense is not so common.

We‘re locking a hairdresser who’s a mom up but putting criminals out on the streets?

Ive seen some stupidity in my time but it’s totally absurd at this point.

Not everyone can sit at home draw a paycheck and eat premium ice cream.

·
Administrator
43,630 Posts
Those are good points too. It’s a tough situation. It just seems like some are so casual about deaths. I wonder how many would actually die due to losing a job. I don’t personally know or even know of anyone in that kind of shape. Everyone is drawing unemployment.
Everyone know might be drawing unemployment. But not all those who are out of work are on unemployment.

A lot of people in this country work on contract. I don't think that they can get unemployment.

Have you seen the miles long lines to get food from food banks?

I think that few, if anyone, is casual about deaths cause by COVID-19. But like you say it's a tough situation. I agree with the idea of everyone get back to work. Anyone is a high risk group can still get unemployment if needed. And all high risk folks should self quarantine.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It is funny how in normal times, society expects families to remortgage the house, sell the cars (but how will they get to work) and ignore the other children in the family in order to spare no expense on the sick child.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
Who's going to support all of these vulnerable elderly that stay home and collect retirement if people can't work? I assume their retirement checks won't be cut.

And why can't said vulnerable people make their own decision to stay home if that's what they feel like they need to do? Or wear masks when they go out? If you don't feel safe stay home and wear a mask if you must go out.

This isn't the government's job and it's starting to violate our constitution.

·
Super Moderator
8,080 Posts
Everyone know might be drawing unemployment. But not all those who are out of work are on unemployment.

A lot of people in this country work on contract. I don't think that they can get unemployment.

Have you seen the miles long lines to get food from food banks?

I think that few, if anyone, is casual about deaths cause by COVID-19. But like you say it's a tough situation. I agree with the idea of everyone get back to work. Anyone is a high risk group can still get unemployment if needed. And all high risk folks should self quarantine.
Let's not forget that essential workers are still at work. Why are others more worthy of protection?

I fear that we've wrecked a lot of lives and accomplished very little, but we'll never really know.

·
Administrator
43,630 Posts
Who's going to support all of these vulnerable elderly that stay home and collect retirement if people can't work? I assume their retirement checks won't be cut.

And why can't said vulnerable people make their own decision to stay home if that's what they feel like they need to do? Or wear masks when they go out? If you don't feel safe stay home and wear a mask if you must go out.

I agree with you.

I'm one of those vulnerable elderly. I'm staying home (on my property) most of the time. I order groceries from local stores and pick it up. They put the groceries in my car so I don't have to even get out of my car. If I go anywhere that there are people (like stores) I self distance and wear a mask. I also have rules in my house that when one of use comes back in the house after going to a store, etc., they have to remove their shoes, wash their hands, whipe down anything they being into the house. My one doc appointment was over the phone.

I do walk by dog every day in the neighborhood, but few people are outside and those that are we just wave and nod from a distance.

If I need more help, there are senior services in the area . I've never used them but they are there.

·
Administrator
43,630 Posts
Let's not forget that essential workers are still at work. Why are others more worthy of protection?

I fear that we've wrecked a lot of lives and accomplished very little, but we'll never really know.
Yep, we will never know what would have happened had travel from China not been stopped early on and all the rest that has been done. But we know a lot more and our healthcare sector can handle the those who have bad cases of the virus.

It's time to get back to some semblance of normal life and with some social distancing, etc.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have read that private equity has bought up about 75% of the nursing homes in the US. You know what that means. Squeeze the staff members and the supplies employed so that they can leech as much cash as possible. And they do take Medicaid and Medicare.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Everything has an element of risk. 38,000 people die in the US every year in automobile accidents and yet we think nothing of jumping into the car and traveling everyday. There needs to be a mix of medical personnel and economists advising our leaders. You can't make good decisions by looking at just one side of the issue.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
Everything has an element of risk. 38,000 people die in the US every year in automobile accidents and yet we think nothing of jumping into the car and traveling everyday. There needs to be a mix of medical personnel and economists advising our leaders. You can't make good decisions by looking at just one side of the issue.
To be fair, this is entirely true. We always accept some risk as a trade-off. Cars are a good example of this in terms of risk/reward.

Where the example breaks down is that if cars get out of control, the number of cars don't increase geometrically.

I agree it's time to start reopening. I just hope everybody's smart about it, so there's no second wave or geometric progression.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts

The point of the lockdown isn't to prevent any one individual from getting Covid (except perhaps the truly vulnerable).

The point was always to keep too many people from getting it at the same time so that we didn't overwhelm the health care system. It's not just a choice that the vulnerable can make. If it happens, it happens to all of us.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree it's time to start reopening. I just hope everybody's smart about it, so there's no second wave or geometric progression.
Thats true. When we hear “reopen,” that doesn’t mean everything is all at once back to like it was. I hope it will be done correctly so there is not a second wave. I’m satisfied with our governor. Some of the governor’s I see just seem a little itchy and wild-eyed.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
There’s a lot of hype too. My neighbors son (medical military) was riffed to Dallas and told to prepare for a 6 month stay. They had turned a hotel into a hospital. They had 3 patients. They’ve already closed it up.
It wasn't hype. Did you see what happened to Italy and parts of NYC? The low patient count was precisely because we took reasonable steps early.

As is typical, the quarantine is a victim of its own success.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wasn't hype. Did you see what happened to Italy and parts of NYC? The low patient count was precisely because we took reasonable steps early.

As is typical, the quarantine is a victim of its own success.
I feel the same way. Some are saying we should have acted even sooner, but if we had, and our cases had been even lower, some people would be losing their minds saying it’s not necessary because it’s not that bad here.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts