Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your spouse/partner your bestfriend? I have heard this so many times, and it seems more then not people in relationships say "YES"...even when I considered my marriage good, I never considered my husband my best friend:scratchhead: I am pretty sure he doesnt consider me his bestfriend either.

Do you think you can have a good relationship/marriage if you dont consider your partner your bestfriend?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am totally prejudiced in this, but I can't imagine marrying anyone BUT your best friend. Taking two lives and making them one, facing all the trials and tribulations life can bring, trusting someone in extremely important and intimate areas; I wouldn't want to do any of that with anyone but my best friend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is your spouse/partner your bestfriend? I have heard this so many times, and it seems more then not people in relationships say "YES"...even when I considered my marriage good, I never considered my husband my best friend:scratchhead: I am pretty sure he doesnt consider me his bestfriend either.

Do you think you can have a good relationship/marriage if you dont consider your partner your bestfriend?
It depends on how you define " best friend"
In the context of an intimate relationship a friend is someone who can listen, dectect the emotion behind what is being said and showing true empathy towards the emotion.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I am totally prejudiced in this, but I can't imagine marrying anyone BUT your best friend. Taking two lives and making them one, facing all the trials and tribulations life can bring, trusting someone in extremely important and intimate areas; I wouldn't want to do any of that with anyone but my best friend.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I am the odd one in the situation, as why I even posted this topic. Of course I wouldnt judge this question with how my marriage is now...but even in the beginning when things were good, he just was never my bestfriend. I have some really close girlfriends, who I think I confide in more then him. It could be from yrs telling me, that its me with the problems.. meaning if I talked to him about something that was bothering me or whatever, he always made me feel like there was something wrongwith me... so in turn, I started shutting down.

I guess with my very good close girlfriends, I can tell them what is bothering me and they listen, and dont tell me I am the one with the problems.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
I don't think your SO has to be your best friend but they have to be way up on the list. Lets face it if you are married after a year of dating and 25 yet you have a friend since before school who really knows you better?

Over the years of marriage however that should change after all there are things you will share with your SO that would never be shared with any friend or even family.

Also unlike others you struggle together in ways and make choices with your SO that you would never have to or want to with friends.

draconis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.