Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we are all on this forum because we have some sort of problem in our relationships/marriage. Do you ever get envious of other people's marriage/relationship?

I know I do. I remember bowling with my husband and son a few weeks back. The couple next to us(they were very young, compared to us who are 43 LOL). was so loving to each other. Now granted I do not know what their home life is like. WHat I observed is that, they hugged a couple of times, when one would walk by the other, they would give each other a light tap/pat on the back, or a light poke in the tummy..just very innocent, yet loving.I felt like such a stalker watching them. I get envious if I get out the car at the grocery store and see an older couple holding hands walking into the store. Its always so nice to see, yet, I get that pit in my stomach when I see it...

I get envious when people say they look forward to alone time with their spouse once the kids are in bed. I am not refering to sex, just cuddling on the sofa watching tv?

Am I the only one who gets like this?

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
I know we are all on this forum because we have some sort of problem in our relationships/marriage. Do you ever get envious of other people's marriage/relationship?
No because my wife and I are like the couple you described, we always hug, and kiss, touch each other lovingly and sopend time each day just cuddling.

I have heard many people say we are such a good couple that we make others sick/jealous etc.

draconis

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is what my wife and I had, but apparently it wasn't enough. My friends and their spouses were definitely jealous of us. We did cuddly, friendly, and fun very well. But my wife wanted danger and passion and potentially more freedom. I would say more than anything I am envious more of the older couple that still holds hands. It means that they have made it through the ups and downs and still have feelings for each other.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Envy makes me angry... I despise that people are jealous of things. You need to be happy for what you have in your own life because you made it that way. Evny is just a method of how you look at things, like a pair of glasses, you're wearing the envy glasses. Change your thinking to the positive, put on a different pair of glasses. If you see others all physically cuddly, take time to reflect on what is so great about your relationship. If you don't like it that way, do something about it.

Maybe I'm quite biased, as I have in law family that is super competitive and jealous of everything if they don't have the best, and it's created a shell around me. But I'm still turning it positive. So what I don't own all that crap they do... but I have a good relationship with my spouse that they don't. I have a good relationship with my child that they dont' have with their kids. I'm fortunate enough to have a measly part time job which allows me to be at home for my daughter, when they are out working their butts off to pay off the credit card bills for the last piece of junk they bought and didn't need, but had to have b/c they were trying to outdo someone.

It's all about perspective. Change the way you think about things. Instead of getting envious over the situation, think about how cute it is and how nice it is to see couples that still do that, then think about all the good things you have in your relationship... heck, the fact that you were out bowling together AS A FAMILY!!... that's good, isn't it??!!

Sorry for the rant... open nerves. =)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify that I think envy and jealousy are two different things.
Just because I envy cute and cuddly/loving couples I see, doesnt mean I am mad or competitive with them. Its quite the opposite for me, I have a sense of awe when I see that.I dont feel any negative feelings towards these people. When I see older couples holding hands I always think "how nice"

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
My husband and I are like that & we've had people we don't know ask us how long we've been married, wow you act like newlyweds, nice to see a happy couple, etc. Our kids get embarrassed when we hug/kiss in public though! My parents were not affectionate towards each other (or us kids for that matter) so it's something important to me and although my kids do get embarrassed, I hope some day they see it as a healthy thing and want the same for themselves :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.