Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
That was never my experience. My dad didn’t care if I dated, all he cared about was if I was happy and I was being treated right.

Some friends I grew up with had strict fathers who limited their dating and contact with boys. But it was because they don’t think they should date for fun, but date to get married. So dating in high school was out of the question. They all wanted them to find a good husband, but limit the number of frogs they went through.

Who on earth would ever REALLY want their child to never find a partner? I think that a parents perspective should be, that before they leave this earth they know their kids will be ok and happy and have a good life when they are gone. So the thought of a father wanting their daughter to be alone and without kids forever is strange to me.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
No matter what, most fathers seem to hate it whenever their daughters dates someone. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

I have also heard many fathers on the internet say that they hate the idea of their daughter dating someone someday, and are completely against it. So it seems to me that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to date and be in a romantic relationship with someone.
I do not own any t-shirt that states anything like this. Of course I want my daughters to find their happiness/love/romance.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
No matter what, most fathers seem to hate it whenever their daughters dates someone. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

I have also heard many fathers on the internet say that they hate the idea of their daughter dating someone someday, and are completely against it. So it seems to me that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to date and be in a romantic relationship with someone.
I have not one, but TWO of those D.A.D.D shirts because for some reason people in my extended family thought I'd love to have them (I have three daughters). I use them for painting and working on cars. They don't get worn out in public.

I have two reasons that I don't agree with the sentiment. Reason one is that I want my kids to be happy in life. Reason two is that I want to be happy in my older years, and that includes grandbabies and a house with no children in it.

I trust my girls to date. They're not going to make bad choices.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My husband and I have one daughter. She was married three years ago. I think my husband just wanted her to find someone that would be good to her. Thankfully, she has a wonderful husband. I must say that the day she was married was very difficult for my husband. He got choked up walking her down the aisle - he said giving her away was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My daughter is about to turn 20. She had a serious relationship at 17-18 that lasted about 15 months. We really liked her boyfriend and I was pretty pleased they were together (they have since broken up). But generally, I didn't want her going boy crazy too early (like 13-15 years old), or date some disrespectful loser. Other than that, I was fine with it.

Ultimately, I'd love it if all my kids found a spouse, had families, etc.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I had two hard-headed boys so Ol'Arb will never get to realize his lifelong dream of giving a daughters date or relationship the "third degree!" But if done, it should always be done in a friendly, teasing sort of way, of course!

A good father always wants what they feel is best for their child, daughter or son! A selfish or a grossly insecure one does not!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My husband and I have one daughter. She was married three years ago. I think my husband just wanted her to find someone that would be good to her. Thankfully, she has a wonderful husband. I must say that the day she was married was very difficult for my husband. He got choked up walking her down the aisle - he said giving her away was one of the hardest things he has ever had to do.
I don't understand in Western culture what "giving her away" means. In some cultures, once the bride marries she basically disowns her family, but I doubt that is what you mean.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Every father has soft spot for his daughter. Obviously some are over-protective but id definitely make sure my princess' grow up knowing their worth and having good standards.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts