Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what, most fathers seem to hate it whenever their daughters dates someone. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

I have also heard many fathers on the internet say that they hate the idea of their daughter dating someone someday, and are completely against it. So it seems to me that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to date and be in a romantic relationship with someone.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Some father's are like that and personally I find it creepy as ****. I absolutely want my daughter to find love and live a full life. I'm not here to control my daughter or to tell her how to live her life. I'm here to teach her and guide her. Hopefully I do a good enough job that she will know how to choose good relationships and will know when the right time to date, have sex, etc for HER is. And hopefully she will know that I'm always here to help her and support her, not criticize and control her for being a normal human.

Any of the men who say "My daughter can never date" or "She can't date until she's 30" or "she can't have sex until she's married" has some serious issues IMO.

I would never in a million years put my daughter in a shirt like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen those shirts and onesies, it's messed up. Some people think it's just cute or funny, but IMO, it's not.

Those shirts, along with the ones sexualizing infants (boys or girls) are creepy, not cute.
I agree.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
The worst part is that some of these shirts are made for girls who are still infants.
A lot of it is tongue in cheek humor that is a play on a father's protective feelings for his daughters.

A loving, involved and protective father is healthy and often needed to discourage predatory behavior.

I don't have daughters but I have been very firm with my sons in how they should treat and protect women.

I've seen a lot of girls go through some awful things because no one was watching out for them.

Mrs. Conan was a girl growing up in a bad situation without a father to watch out for her. Involved parents are important.

·
Registered
858 Posts
A loving, involved and protective father is healthy and often needed to discourage predatory behavior.
To bad this has been discouraged as "creepy". If this was more often the case there would be a lot less issues nowadays.

I am all these things with my daughters and I can tell you I am.not creepy nor weird. My daughters also do not have the problems that a lot of kids seem to have these days

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lot of it is tongue in cheek humor that is a play on a father's protective feelings for his daughters.

I don't have daughters but I have been very firm with my sons in how they should treat and protect women.

I've seen a lot of girls go through some awful things because no one was watching out for them.

Mrs. Conan was a girl growing up in a bad situation without a father to watch out for her. Involved parents are important.
I hope that (most of the time), it is just tongue in cheek humor that plays on a father's protective feelings for his daughters. But it does seem that there are a lot of fathers out there who don't ever want their daughters to find love. But I do agree with anything you just said.

·
Administrator
43,563 Posts
I hope that (most of the time), it is just tongue in cheek humor that plays on a father's protective feelings for his daughters. But it does seem that there are a lot of fathers out there who don't ever want their daughters to find love. But I do agree with anything you just said.
It is tongue and cheek... with a strain of reality to it. The reality is that the fathers know that there are guys out there who are just looking to use the girls/women they date. So the fathers making some fun of their desire to protect their daughters from those types of guys.

Some things are not meant to be taken literally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is tongue and cheek... with a strain of reality to it. The reality is that the fathers know that there are guys out there who are just looking to use the girls/women they date. So the fathers making some fun of their desire to protect their daughters from those types of guys.

Some things are not meant to be taken literally.
But do most fathers actually want their daughters to find love with the right guys (guys who are good guys)?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
But do most fathers actually want their daughters to find love with the right guys (guys who are good guys)?
Yes, of course and my SIL, is like my son, the only different is he earned that! And I believe would give his life before anything would happen to my daughter.

·
Administrator
43,563 Posts
Of course most fathers want their daughters to find love with the right guy. Most fathers are great people.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had some vague discussions with my daughters about dating. They are still in middle school so it isn't that big of an issue yet.

My oldest has said, "We're in middle school. What is it the point of 'dating' at this age, anyway?". I heard the air quotes. She wants to be an engineer and could quite possibly be asexual. She is also calm, mature, and level headed. I don't think dating is going to be a huge danger for her either in the people she decides to spend time with or the decisions she makes.

My youngest is passionate, opinionated / headstrong, and is sometimes impulsive. She worries me. A lot. I could definitely foresee her telling me that something had "just happened" because she was caught up in the moment. She should probably not be in an exclusive relationship until she is ready to be a parent.

I'm not going to lie, it is going to be weird as hell when my little girls are doing adult things like driving and forming adult relationships. Part of me is always going to see them as the baby struggling across the floor to their toy or the toddlers in princess dresses. If they are treated with violence or coercion by someone, I would very much want to rectify that, I think (if they haven't handled it themselves). I would probably let the authorities handle it, but I would want to. I think I feel more responsible for them and their safety than if they were sons. I don't have any sons so I'm not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Just grow with them and treat them like the age that they are. It will come to you. And because you are teaching them now will assist them in the future. But your head strong one is the one that may keep the others in line.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I don't really care about my daughter dating. I just want her to be informed enough to make smart decisions, and know the consequences of making dumb decisions.

My job is not to protect her from making dumb decisions. It's not to prevent her from getting pregnant. My job is to teach her how to make smart decisions and take care of herself so that she can live her life as she sees fit.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It isn't necessarily because they don't want them to find love because most do. But some fathers just don't feel that any other man would ever be a good fit for his daughter and while it may not be that she can't date, that's why some are just against dating in general.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts