Talk About Marriage banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm a noob.. what is "D"?

The job is steady... doesn't pay well, barely staying afloat, but I'm looking. It's going to be a long road, but I truly believe it will sort out.

My therapist told me I was an odd duck... Not many can stay off what they are addicted to... but no way I go back to that ****, it killed my marriage, I'm not going to let it kill me.

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
I guess more info is a good thing... Adds perspective.

Here goes.... because there are two sides to every coin.

As I mentioned, my ex suffers from depression. She just divulged to me recently that while I was supporting her through her many diets (She is over-weight, but I loved her no matter how she felt about herself).. trying to eat the things she needed for her diet, she was secretly eating the food she wasn't supposed to.

During severe depressive episodes, she would blow off work... one time for almost two months. During these episodes she would frequently tell little white lies to her friends and family about not making it to get togethers or spending time with them...depression in her case makes her not want to see anyone.

My ex tends to quit before **** hits the fan. She's left numerous jobs because her depression almost catches up to her.. and she finds something better.

I've taken care of the kids.. the house (not to her satisfaction) (She is OCD...The plant could be off center on the kitchen table and it would bother her.).. I'm organizationally challenged when it comes to the house.. and I get it with both barrels. I have some college, but I was a home dad.. so as the sole supporter, I am sure there are hard feelings there.

Her libido is much higher than mine... until our interlude after our divorce...Therapy helped with that.

My therapist is exploring the possibility that this addiction I have may be an anxiety disorder. She wants me to participate in a study that tracks my phone and computer and undergo some testing because she feels at this point I should have at least had a relapse and I haven't looked at anything since we separated.
IMO get on with your life. Setting goals and working towards them is all the therapy you need.

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
As for my plans... I've always had a knack for the law. I've decided to enroll in college to become a paralegal and get a certification in Legal Investigation. I just recently became a member of the American Legion, and I'm working on getting certified as a shooting instructor...

And I'm having the time of my life with my kids... seeing them grow and watching them mature.
Why stop there? Get that as your financing and get into law school.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I guess it's never too late for anything. One of my downfalls is the stars I shoot for are closer than others. I use excuses like age (I'm in my fifties)... but you're right. Why should I stop at something when there is more? Becoming an attorney may seem daunting at this stage of my life, but I do have the rest of my life to work with.

I should have adopted this attitude years ago...water over the dam. Nothing is keeping me from me now, so why not shoot higher?

Thanks...

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
I guess it's never too late for anything. One of my downfalls is the stars I shoot for are closer than others. I use excuses like age (I'm in my fifties)... but you're right. Why should I stop at something when there is more? Becoming an attorney may seem daunting at this stage of my life, but I do have the rest of my life to work with.

I should have adopted this attitude years ago...water over the dam. Nothing is keeping me from me now, so why not shoot higher?

Thanks...
I could have used that same excuse at 23 years old with a stay at home wife and 3 young kids. It was hard but passed quickly because I had a goal in mind. Most that I started class with dropped out along the way.
I graduated when I was 30. Age doesn’t seem to matter as much now days.
Set one goal and when you get there set another if you want. You’re older which means you know more. I was a young naive kid. You don’t have that problem 😂

21 - 26 of 26 Posts