Talk About Marriage banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
There are ways to deal with thelse situations.
Right, such as providing proof positive ID to register to vote, purging the voter registration rolls frequently, comparing voter registration rolls to death databases and change of address databases (USPS), and cross comparing voter registrations across all the different jurisdictions around the country.

·
Premium Member
24,430 Posts
The tax I want is for citizens to have enough desire to educate themselves and drag themselves from their couch to go to the polling place. Voting should not be so easy that voters put no more thought into it than whether to have one or two spoons of sugar in their coffee.
Sure, that sounds great but our democracy is based on full participation of all of our citizens and not just those who you deem smart enough to vote. It is not your determination and no where in the constitution does it state a persons specific IQ or education prior to casting a vote.

·
Premium Member
24,430 Posts
Right, such as providing proof positive ID to register to vote, purging the voter registration rolls frequently, comparing voter registration rolls to death databases and change of address databases (USPS), and cross comparing voter registrations across all the different jurisdictions around the country.
We were able to deal with this in our current census, I think we could do the same for mail in voting. If databases are not up to speed that is a state issue as voting is run by states and not the federal government. So, if a state chooses to have mail in votes, that is there right based on the 10th amendment.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
Sure, that sounds great but our democracy is based on full participation of all of our citizens and not just those who you deem smart enough to vote. It is not your determination and no where in the constitution does it state a persons specific IQ or education prior to casting a vote.
I'm not saying I want to be the person who sets some kind of intelligence test. I'm just saying voting is not something we should make so easy that every person can do it with zero effort. Why is that so hard to understand?

Uninformed voters do not add value to elections.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I'm not saying I want to be the person who sets some kind of intelligence test. I'm just saying voting is not something we should make so easy that every person can do it with zero effort. Why is that so hard to understand?
It isn't. It is also the most blatantly unconstitutional thing I have ever heard you say.

·
Premium Member
24,430 Posts

Uninformed voters do not add value to elections.
We should absolutely make voting easy to all US citizens, that is how democracy works. Otherwise we only allow special interest voting and that is not democracy.

·
Premium Member
24,430 Posts
Right after I see hard evidence that Voter ID is purely for voter suppression.
It not that voter ID is built around voter suppression, it is access and acceptable forms of ID that is of issue.
I actually favor voter ID, but then I also think it should not be complicated or difficult for a US citizen to acquire an acceptable ID. There are some districts where getting an ID is difficult.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I don't think "almost " was quite the thinking on the dawn of election day.

View attachment 69476 View attachment 69476
My impression was that Hilary Clinton was and is unpopular. A few of you appear to disagree and are arguing that Clinton was popular, that the Republicans were unpopular and therefore Trump scrapping an election win was a triumph.
Who is to say which is right.

·
Premium Member
24,430 Posts
My impression was that Hilary Clinton was and is unpopular. A few of you appear to disagree and are arguing that Clinton was popular, that the Republicans were unpopular and therefore Trump scrapping an election win was a triumph.
She is unpopular and thus her political career is over and she know it.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
She is unpopular and thus her political career is over and she know it.
This is a point of disagreement. If Trump is an electoral asset, it makes no sense that he would lose the popular vote to an unpopular Democrat nominee when the Republicans were the more popular party.
So, it is one of these two:
- Clinton was unpopular in 2016 and Trump was an electoral liability. In 2016, people found the candidate uninspiring.
or
- Clinton was hugely popular and would have been the overwhelming choice for an enthused populace, were Trump not even more popular. People were hugely impressed by the candidates in 2016.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If only voters had some way to register their preference . . .

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
This is a point of disagreement. If Trump is an electoral asset, it makes no sense that he would lose the popular vote to an unpopular Democrat nominee when the Republicans were the more popular party.
So, it is one of these two:
- Clinton was unpopular in 2016 and Trump was an electoral liability. In 2016, people found the candidate uninspiring.
or
- Clinton was hugely popular and would have been the overwhelming choice for an enthused populace, were Trump not even more popular. People were hugely impressed by the candidates in 2016.
Clinton won the popular vote ONLY because of California and New York. The Electoral College worked as intended, hence the reason Dems want to abolish it.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts