Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A post about daughters/only children going off to college
talkaboutmarriage.com/.../29502-only-child-leaving-college-soon.html
reminded me of my wife's incessant questions around the time of the birth. Do I want a girl or boy? Don't I really want a boy? Should we have another if its a girl? After several failed pregnancies I kept saying I just wanted a healthy baby.

As my daughter grew sometimes she and mum would demand a family vote, eg for TV choice. That often meant the TV was on "So you think you can dance" or "Australias Greatest Chef", which I can't stand. Again my wife would ask if I would prefer to have a boy. But I introduced my daughter to "Dr Who" and won TV votes for it.

Before taking my daughter off to university she said to me that she is studying Architecture because I bought her Lego and played them with her. She asked why no Lego dolls? I bought one and it was rarely played with, she chose the toys. She asked did she ever want dolls or Barbie. No. And where did her love of make-up come from? Both my wife and I wonder this too. She ended saying that was very happy with her upbringing. She had been a tom-boy but was changing now. She was only sad that she couldn't take the Lego.

I said I was very happy too, I didn't set out to raise a tom-boy. And warned her not to remind mum or I would be answering questions for decades.

So do other dads care? Do they raise tom-boys as the 'next best'? Do they try for another child? Does living in a house-hold of females matter to the marriage?

Mums welcome to answer too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a father of two pre teen girls. Do I want a son? Well, yes and no. Having son has it challenges just as having daughter. From my observations, daughters tend to stay closer to their parents than sons do. At the end, all I want my kids to be healthy, successful and happy.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
We have two daughters. Did not matter to me if I had a son or not. Our girls are awesome and enjoy many things boys do. Fishing, cars, sports, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When I was pregnant, my SIL said my husband would be disappointed if he had a girl. My husband didn't care. Once our daughter was here, she was his. He took her everywhere, he would pack her bag and they would be off for the day. Father and daughter has the same outgoing personality. Very adventurous and she is always up to trying news things with dad. I just sit back and watch the two of them. He loves his girl, she does not let him get away with anything. I feel bad for the boy who is going to date her.

·
Banned
15,057 Posts
I have only one child, my daughter. Despite the 2:1 gender ratio when married with ex, daughter and I would still gang up on mum! :p lol

Yes I wanted a son, and got rather worried at how girly girly daughter has become. However over time, seeing her develop through the years, I can't ask for a more awesome child! She's not just cute and very sweet, she's got balls and she ain't shy of anything. Ex and I always have to keep an eye on her as she approaches anyone and would walk onto a stage without hesitation! She's not just brave, but very clever for her age too.

I wouldn't trade her for anything, and I no longer give a sh-t that she's a girl.

When I was pregnant, my SIL said my husband would be disappointed if he had a girl. My husband didn't care. Once our daughter was here, she was his. He took her everywhere, he would pack her bag and they would be off for the day. Father and daughter has the same outgoing personality. Very adventurous and she is always up to trying news things with dad. I just sit back and watch the two of them. He loves his girl, she does not let him get away with anything. I feel bad for the boy who is going to date her.
Haha sounds like your husband went through the same phases I did!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I have two daughters, The second one is here specifically because I wanted a son lol. I would have loved a bigger family and would have loved more kids. Unfortunately that didn't work out for me due to my divorce so all I will ever have is my two daughters. I'm a very alpha guy naturally so I try and temper things around them as best I can. I am hoping that this will balance itself out with the time they spend with their mother who is high drama. I take them on adventures. White water rafting, hiking, fishing, camping. A little Tom boy never hurt anyone. I can see in my oldest some of my traits which is very cool.

It was a personal and very hard thing for me to realize that I would never have a son. I have three nephews so that's as close as I will get I suppose. And I do hope for grandsons one day which would be awesome.

·
Banned
588 Posts
My brother only had a daughter, so it was incumbent upon me to have a son, thus our Y chromosome would continue into the next generation. Fortunately I had two, so another generation of meatheads has been ensured. I also had a daughter, so my ex-wife can feel secure that her mitochondrial DNA will pass into another generation.

My SO wants a girl, and I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have two sons and two daughters

Hard to imagine life without my girls

My sons are awesome doing things that make me and my wife (their mom)very proud

I will say this though

If God made anything better than girls.........He/she would have kept them to his/her self

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I was an only child.. my Mother told me yrs ago that my Father always wanted a girl.. I found it odd...He was never into sports, maybe that had something to do with it.. though he was very much into motorcycles.. still don't get it.. never asked him....

I'm a lot like my father, personality wise, how he reasons/thinks... my mother would always tell me "You are ALL your Father".. but still we've never been close.. only see him about 4 times a year... It's strange..

The relationship between my husband & our daughter is so much richer... deeper... those 2 are very very close...she adores her Dad, they laugh a lot, play games, watch movies, she comes to kiss him every night...She IS our only daughter ...she has , count them .. 5 brothers..

Why do we have so many kids... I wanted that little girl !!..(kinda the flip side to your question)..... I told my husband early on.. I wanted at least 3 kids.. if one wasn't a girl.. I'd want to keep trying.... My Mother wasn't in my life growing up, I had no sisters .... I really wanted that "Mother/ daughter thing" ...it's something I felt I missed in life....

I would have to say our daughter is closer to DAD.. and I am closer to our sons.. even though I prayed for that little darling for like 13 yrs .. oh she is the apple of my eye though....

Yet...I have found boys to be easier to deal with, so long as they don't do stupid things to hurt themselves & hang in a good circles of friends....plus they are so dang funny [email protected]# ..not to mention a lot less Emotional & Temperamental ..

We see this escalating a bit as she gets older....."attitude!".... Still love her to pieces though...

I don't spoil her.. though many would assume so... Dad is very thankful he has his precious daughter.. this I know.. even if it did take us 5 tries to get her...

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have girls and love them but I won't lie.... was very happy to hear my last was a boy.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
When my late (first) wife and I had our first child (two more came later), we weren't sure we wanted another one, considering that it was a difficult birth for my wife. Our child was a girl and I was (still am) happy to have been blessed with a healthy child, even if it had meant that there would be no more babies with my wife.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I was very happy raising my girls. I was a bit surprised at how much fun a son turned out to be. Someday I hope to try grandkids.
MN

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've got my boy, I would absolutely love to meet somebody with a daughter around his age... Always wanted a girl, I grew up in a house full of girls, I want to raise a girl like something fierce, and then hand her off to some very lucky man some day. I can only hope.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Only girls here. No regret at all. My girls play sports, do dance, play legos. Girls can do anything boys can any more. I have no regrets at all.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
So do other dads care? Do they raise tom-boys as the 'next best'? Do they try for another child? Does living in a house-hold of females matter to the marriage?
All three of mine are girls and they were a delight.

I didn't deliberately try to make them tom-boys, that seemed to happen all by itself.

For whatever reason, they preferred Lego, Hot Wheels, raising snakes from eggs and plinking with a .22 to more traditional stuff.

I got stuck with one of the damn pythons though and still have it - LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.