Talk About Marriage banner

161 - 180 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
School canceled for the next two weeks at least, so I'm bunkering at the house. Would love to go to the gym everyday but I'm not sure it's a good idea. :(

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
I would not go to an overcrowded store. One risk infection in these locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
I am doing absolutely nothing different than I would in everyday life... we were in Costco yesterday for 8 items and I was amazed to see people with multiple full carts.

Our schools have just closed for 6 weeks... oh my, how far the ripples unknowingly go when an action is dropped in the decision pond at the state level.

Wonder if my immunity booster inoculations they never admitted to (2 shots they gave me that never appeared on my shot record) from Desert Storm are still in force? :-/

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
My ladies tennis club has cancelled lunch and a Saturday night tennis party. I hope they don't cancel the week day meets.

My county tennis association has also cancelled games. I'm not sure if I should sign up the next session which in normal times would start at the end of this month.

My husband will start working from home this week.

Where I go for barre classes, you can no longer register yourself in since it's a touch screen.

My heart goes out to those who are going to be affected more substantially.

ETA: I'm in the high risk category ie over 60 and pre existing condition. So far I still feel fine.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
:Realized I was out of flashlight batteries so had to make a trip to town.

Except for tourists keeping the toilet paper shelves cleared everything is calm and collected.

Shelves still look good although shelves with water are a little bare.

Talked to a few more locals and still NONE are the least bit concerned.
As said many are thinking it will lead to a very large economic boom in tourism. :banghead:

Usually by end of next week it slows down until May. They hope/think this will keep traffic coming. :(
A very few of the older locals, and those with health conditions are starting to show some.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
There is a misconception that warm/hot weather kills viruses. The answer is not necessarily and for respiratory viruses like influenza, rhinovirus, general forms of coronavirus and other viruses that host on mucus membranes the answer is no, warm/hot weather does not kill off these viruses. Our core body temperature averages 37C which is pretty hot.

To be specific, you can’t really kill something that is hard to classify as living in the first place. It requires a host cell to metabolize and replicate.

So why do we classify fall and winter as flu season and we see cases reduced during spring and summer? It is not about the virus, it is about the activity of the vectors (us). During cooler and cold months we confine ourselves to the indoors which brings us in closer proximity to others, others who may be vectors. As the weather warms we open doors, windows and go outside. So, while these viruses aerosolize, they don’t have a musculoskeletal system or senses to direct toward their next target. In open air conditions winds disperse viruses and move them past or beyond their next target. The further a new target is located statistically lowers the opportunity for its ability to find a new host. All of our warm weather activities lowers our chances of infection. We naturally do social distancing in warm weather and open air wind eddies are a virus “enemy”.

People still catch a cold or flu in the summer, just less of us get it.

So, it is important to wash your hands, but just as important to simulate summer activity (social distancing).

This virus may follow the trend of influenza. Numbers of cases will go down as we do our spring/summer activities but may take another rise in the fall and winter as we confine ourselves indoors once again.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There is a misconception that warm/hot weather kills viruses. The answer is not necessarily and for respiratory viruses like influenza, rhinovirus, general forms of coronavirus and other viruses that host on mucus membranes the answer is no, warm/hot weather does not kill off these viruses. Our core body temperature averages 37C which is pretty hot.

To be specific, you can’t really kill something that is hard to classify as living in the first place. It requires a host cell to metabolize and replicate.

So why do we classify fall and winter as flu season and we see cases reduced during spring and summer? It is not about the virus, it is about the activity of the vectors (us). During cooler and cold months we confine ourselves to the indoors which brings us in closer proximity to others, others who may be vectors. As the weather warms we open doors, windows and go outside. So, while these viruses aerosolize, they don’t have a musculoskeletal system or senses to direct toward their next target. In open air conditions winds disperse viruses and move them past or beyond their next target. The further a new target is located statistically lowers the opportunity for its ability to find a new host. All of our warm weather activities lowers our chances of infection. We naturally do social distancing in warm weather and open air wind eddies are a virus “enemy”.

People still catch a cold or flu in the summer, just less of us get it.

So, it is important to wash your hands, but just as important to simulate summer activity (social distancing).

This virus may follow the trend of influenza. Numbers of cases will go down as we do our spring/summer activities but may take another rise in the fall and winter as we confine ourselves indoors once again.

Doesn’t the increased summer humidity: nose membranes staying moist instead of dry, “heavier” air of some climates making droplets travel shorter distance; also help decrease spread during summer months?

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
Doesn’t the increased summer humidity: nose membranes staying moist instead of dry, “heavier” air of some climates making droplets travel shorter distance; also help decrease spread during summer months?

Yes, that happens as well. But, the warmer/hotter weather does not kill the virus, it simply lowers the statistical chances.

So I agree changes in weather helps.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Reminds me of the mayor in Jaws who didn't want the beaches closed down.
Yep. Sad thing is if they did get sick while staying here and needed medical treatment there is nowhere here to really get it.

Local hospital only stabilizes IF they make it to the hospital instead being airlifted to bigger hospital as usually happens.

They have airlifted my mother enough times because of it.

Even vehicle accidents get airlifted straight from the scene.

ETA: I wish I was exaggerating. I’m probably understating local condition of hospital.

It has almost been closed at least 3 times in the past 10 yrs due to mismanagement, boilers and equipment is still under par yet no one takes it into consideration in this situation.

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
@arbitrator
What are your local officials telling y’all?

I’m Supposed to meet a potential new customer from your general vicinity tomorrow and I’m trying to get a better idea what’s going on before deciding to cancel or proceed.

ETA: Figured might be good for all to hear local recommendations from other areas so asking here instead of pm.
I’ll start new thread.
I'm in Burleson County and as of early yesterday morning, we were still all clear per my Constables Precinct, situated across the road! Haven't heard anything different today either!
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Grocery situation looks grim in my city. Produce, meat, dry goods, canned goods, paper goods, cleaners....all picked over and getting hard to find. I managed to make a pretty good haul of canned goods and medicine by stopping at a few Walgreens and CVS's yesterday, but by this afternoon they're all pretty much cleaned out of food also except snacks and candy.

The good news seems to be that cold meds, fever reducers etc seem to still be readily available, but once symptoms really start kicking in those will probably be cleaned out also.

I was at Home Depot yesterday, they had plenty of cleaning supplies left, but their paper stuff was gone as well. The guy ringing us up told us that they've actually had nurses coming in to Home Depot looking for toilet paper for the hospitals in town. These hoarders are going to end up getting people killed.

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Home from an arduous Saturday of ranch barbed-wire fence repair and grass cutting!

What's going on, y'all? Anything new that I need to know about?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Been mulling it over and decided I will be making phone calls and sending emails cancelling appointments.

Already touched base with one client in his 70’s and they understood.
He and his wife are going to hibernate he said.
They are both very healthy but not going to risk it.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
Enough with hoarding. State and federal governments all over the country and sending the wrong message. Yes, you should always have a 14 day food supply. The best are MREs and access to clean drinking water 3L/person/day.

What governments should be providing are clear instructions for how to self-quarantine in house with other members. You need to setup zones where the person who is sick will quarantine. Setup a buffer zone and when one enters that zone the provider of care will need basic PPE. In a house with multiple bathrooms, designate one bathroom for the sick person and everyone else has access to the other bathroom(s).

And also seek help from neighbors and friends to shop for you during quarantine times.

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
I just got back from picking up the Walmart order that I place 2 days ago.

10 items were substituted. For example instead of pinto beans, they gave me navy beans.

About 1/3 of the items were out of stock. This means that there was nothing to substitute for the item. So no dog food, no onions, no eggs, no Spam, no rice, no pasta of any kind.

Here's the list they sent me of things that were out of stock...…………….

Great Value Deluxe Stir-Fry Vegetables, 20 oz
Yellow Onions 3 lb Bag
Ginger Root, per lb
Great Value Diced Tomatoes In Tomato Juice, 14.5 Oz
Purina Dog Chow Dry Dog Food Complete Adult With Real Beef 50 lb. Bag
Spam Hickory Smoke, 12 oz can
Spam Classic, 12 Ounce Can
Quilted Northern Ultra Plush Toilet Paper, 18 Mega Rolls (= 72 Regular Rolls)
Clear Eyes Eye Drops Maximum Redness Relief, 0.5 fl oz
Culligan Distilled Water, 1 Gallon
Great Value Garbanzos Chick Peas, 16 oz
Casserole Pinto Beans, 64 oz
Great Value Lentils, 4 lb
Mahatma Whole Grain Brown Rice, 32-Ounce Bag
UNCLE BEN'S Whole Grain Brown Rice, 5lb
Great Value Extra Large White Eggs, 18 count, 40.5 oz
Great Value Fettuccine, 16 oz
Barilla Protein+ Grain & Legume Pasta Angel Hair, 14.5 oz
Barilla Classic Blue Box Pasta Penne 16 oz
Barilla Classic Blue Box Soup Pasta Orzo 16 oz
Kraft Thick and Creamy Mac and Cheese Dinner, 7.25 oz Box
Barilla Classic Blue Box Pasta Cellentani 16 oz
Firm Grip Vinyl Latex Free Disposable Gloves, 50-Count

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Now I'm online reordering from Walmart for pickup. Hopefully in a couple of days when they fill my order some of those things will be in stock.

Items like Spam and pasta are now limited to 2 per order.

161 - 180 of 1023 Posts