Talk About Marriage banner

881 - 900 of 1023 Posts

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Wife has been making some masks.
She ran out of elastic so I braved Walmart for her to pick some up.

None to be had. Couldn’t believe it.

Rest are going to have to have ties.
Go to amazon.com and search for "elastic for sewing". They have it.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
When you get the pattern for those, could you post it? I'm thinking of making masks.

Two of my nieces work in hospitals. One is a nurse and the other is a PA. One here in NM and one in FL. They have each been issued one N95 mask and have been told that they have to use that one, over and over. I've very concerned.
Go to millionmaskchallenge.com

They have all the patterns and information about donating and who to contact in your area. If you still can't find it, let me know.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Go to amazon.com and search for "elastic for sewing". They have it.
A lot of the elastic on Amazon is backordered or out of stock. I was lucky I was able to get the elastic I have.
Wife has been making some masks.
She ran out of elastic so I braved Walmart for her to pick some up.

None to be had. Couldn’t believe it.

Rest are going to have to have ties.
Some doctors and nurses would rather have the ties. They're getting sores around the backs of their ears from the ear elastic.

(I'm using my elastic for around the neck and behind the head, instead of the ears.)

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
I didn't intend to ask for supplies on TAM, but if anyone wants to send me fabric, PM me and I'll tell you what to get and where to send it.

Or go to millionmaskchallenge.com to learn how to donate materials or volu teer in your area. :)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
A lot of the elastic on Amazon is backordered or out of stock. I was lucky I was able to get the elastic I have.Some doctors and nurses would rather have the ties. They're getting sores around the backs of their ears from the ear elastic.

(I'm using my elastic for around the neck and behind the head, instead of the ears.)

You can also search amazon for "shock cord", it's round elastic cord. Probably need to loop it and sew the loop in the corners or sew a channel and thread it through.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
A lot of the elastic on Amazon is backordered or out of stock. I was lucky I was able to get the elastic I have.Some doctors and nurses would rather have the ties. They're getting sores around the backs of their ears from the ear elastic.

Daughter said the elastic does get uncomfortable after a while, and does rub it raw.

Since they only have 8 days worth left at the hospital if they are careful, and the daughter has been exposed going to use the elastic ones for when she is at home and those living in the household. Tie ones will go to the hospitals she works in.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
My husband planned a 50 Year Old Men trip or something like for New Orleans in a couple of months from now. He's now questioning the wisdom of their destination.

Anybody have any suggestions for 5 50ish married men to hang out for a weekend?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Daughter said the elastic does get uncomfortable after a while, and does rub it raw.

Since they only have 8 days worth left at the hospital if they are careful, and the daughter has been exposed going to use the elastic ones for when she is at home and those living in the household. Tie ones will go to the hospitals she works in.
If you go with the rounded shock cord it would probably be worse, but needs must when the devil drives.

·
Premium Member
13,126 Posts
I didn't intend to ask for supplies on TAM, but if anyone wants to send me fabric, PM me and I'll tell you what to get and where to send it.

Or go to millionmaskchallenge.com to learn how to donate materials or volu teer in your area. :)

Wow, I normally only hear about the worst of humanity during this crisis
Good to see the opposite also coming out, the very best!

However, I question the effectiveness of these homemade masks, the medical ones aren't even foolproof. How many layers in each mask?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's really very easy. If you have thread, pop on a youtube tutorial and you'll be able to make a basic stitch in 5 minutes!
Not for everyone. My right-handed Grandma tried to teach me when I was little, I kept getting my hand stitched by the needle. Are there any machines made for lefties?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
My husband planned a 50 Year Old Men trip or something like for New Orleans in a couple of months from now. He's now questioning the wisdom of their destination.

Hell no, or Forrest would say: as stupid is, as stupid does.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
Not for everyone. My right-handed Grandma tried to teach me when I was little, I kept getting my hand stitched by the needle. Are there any machines made for lefties?
Yes you have to hunt for one but they do exist. There are also tutorials for lefties to safely use a righty machine.

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #895

How about Northern Greenland?

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
I heard Antarctica is safe.
I've always wanted to go there!

But much like the international space stations, the countries all actively engaged there will no longer permit anyone in or out, absent of a serious medical emergency!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've always wanted to go there!

But much like the international space stations, the countries all actively engaged there will no longer permit anyone in or out, absent of a serious medical emergency!
Me too but nobody's going to be going anywhere anytime soon. :frown2:

881 - 900 of 1023 Posts