Talk About Marriage banner

61 - 80 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey squirrels taste great. I know they are cute, but the taste great. Rabbits are great as well.

So if you had too, it is an option. They are kind of a nuisance where I live so it might be good to have few less than we do now...
I would have to be really hungry to eat a squirrel. They are nothing but rats with bushy tails. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I'm going to be staying home as much as possible. To keep from getting cabin fever I do things outside like gardening, yard work, walk by dog, etc.

When picking up prescriptions today, I'll use the drive-up window at Walgreens.

Will order groceries to be either delivered or to pick up at the store. Our local Walmart provides this. I think Smiths does as well.

I installed Hand Held Bidet Sprayers in both of my bathrooms. This is so that if this toilet paper shortage (hoarding) continues, we won't need as much TP. I've been meaning to install these things for a long time so it finally did it.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I started stocking up on food, not months worth, just enough of nonperishables so that if the stores are cleared out for a while we'll be ok.

I'm going to use telemed service that one of our local healthcare system/hospitals provides for things that come up.

I've wondered if I should get one of those big plastic containers that go in your tub to store water. I know some people in Florida who use them to prepare during hurricanes. But then again, I'm not sure if the city water will be impacted by people being too sick to go to work and keep the water running.

One of my friends is a prepper. She says that she has a year's worth of toilet paper, paper towels, food and water. Over the last few years she and her husband bought a lot of freeze dried food. I guess they might finally be able to use it.
Who knows if there are going to be problems with the city water where you live? I don't, but I would take precautions like the plastic water holder if I were in your situation. I don't think they are too expensive and water is really important.

I would also consider getting a really good water filter and running all drinking, cooking, etc., water through it. Even if the water is running the treatment plant may not be performing as it should be.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I returned from a tropical vacation way back in 1987 to be faced the following day with a blizzard. Over 2 feet of snow, two Lean Cuisines in my freezer, and no way to get to the grocery store since the roads in my neighborhood hadn't been plowed. After that, and ever since, I've always had three week's worth of food in my freezer and pantry. I live in the desert southwest - we don't get snow here - but I still stay stocked.

I only go out if necessary, but that is because I'm in the high-risk category for the virus.
My wife and I are also in a high-risk category because we're over 70.
Other than that we are in good health but I don't want to take unnecessary chances.
So we're not leaving the house unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Squirrels and other rodents when the grocery stores run out of food... :)

I'm going to plant edible weeds. That way my neighbors just think they are weeds and won't steal them. {I actually saw a video that suggested people do this. LOL}
Hell, in Kentucky those squirrels and rodents are considered a delicacy. Nothing like fried squirrel brains and polk greens.:)
I prefer breaded possum in buttery garlic sauce. Squirrel is ok for a snack. Possum is more substantial.

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes! My husband's mother used to gather and cook it. She blanched it and then saute'd it, then scrambled an egg in it. Served it with a splash of vinegar. I do not really care for the greens, but my husband like them. My mom would cut up, bread and fry the stalks. They taste similar to fried okra. Not quite as good as okra though.
My dear old Mom would gather up a mess of that stuff from my Grandpa's Pasture fence line, bring it home and fastidiously boil the poison out of it by a constant boil and drain process; fry it up, then scramble eggs in with it in bacon grease; then make up a mess of hot water corn bread to go with it! And while I absolutely love fried okra, I'd take the fried Polk Salad anyday!

Lord I'm making myself hungry for something that I can't have anymore!

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I prefer breaded possum in buttery garlic sauce. Squirrel is ok for a snack. Possum is more substantial.
What in the hell does possum taste like? I remember my mom saying that they ate possum, rabbits, and squirrels when she was being raised up in Northern Louisiana.

I'd as soon eat rattlesnake steaks like they do out in West Texas! Which I ain't gonna do either!

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
What in the hell does possum taste like? I remember my mom saying that they ate possum, rabbits, and squirrels when she was being raised up in Northern Louisiana.

I'd as soon eat rattlesnake steaks like they do out in West Texas! Which I ain't gonna do either!
Chicken. All meat, except beef and pork, taste like chicken.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I would have to be really hungry to eat a squirrel. They are nothing but rats with bushy tails. Ugh!
My French teacher told me and then a French guy as well, that it was during the Franco Prussian War's Siege of Paris in which French cuisine developed the nice creamy sauces ...... to cover up the rat meat that they were eating.

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
I have a friend who feeds the bunnies in her yard. I know where to go if we get low on food.
Good idea. I used a method to figure out what to grow in my front yard. Planted a variety of plants. After I saw what the rabbits would not eat, I got more of those things and planted them. Rabbits do not like iris, gladiola, lilies, the spring flowers, and most evergreens.

I guess I'll need to plant more things that they will eat now so that I can have rabbit stew.

(sick)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Because you have to plant the edible ones. Most of the weeds in my yard are not edible. Of course there dandelions. I think I have enough of those. :)
Canna lilly's.
I don't guess you have henbit, chickweed, or plantain out there do you?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I do have a box.
I use them for work so much I bought 4 before they disappeared.

I'll swap you one glove for a roll of toilet paper. >:)>:)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Canna lilly's.
I don't guess you have henbit, chickweed, or plantain out there do you?
We don't have plantain or canna lilies. Well we can grow them in the summer and bring them in during the winter.

We do have chickweed and henbit.

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
I use them for work so much I bought 4 before they disappeared.

I'll swap you one glove for a roll of toilet paper. >:)>:)
I have double roll that I'll swap you for two gloves.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
On a serious note I think I am going to send clients emails asking the remaining holdouts to go paperless on $$.

Tell the one I am to meet this weekend I will meet but no handshakes, and as usual I won't work with anyone there, and work alone.

As long as possible I will continue to do outside repairs, and mowing as it's coming up, but inside work will be dependent on previous tenants, and thoroughness of their cleaners.

Probably pick some more acorns this weekend and if not raining hook the dogs to the rig and scout out a few more good wild foraging plots which I would do anyway.

There are greens aplenty outside now, but I am getting a little more meat because I don't like the wormy summer meat of wild game.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
We don't have plantain or canna lilies. Well we can grow them in the summer and bring them in during the winter.

We do have chickweed and henbit.
I know you probably have thistle in new mexico. They are all good eats, but one type makes a lovely sweet saute with butter. Makes for some really good noodle replacement in lasagna recipes.

Making my mouth water thinking about it.

61 - 80 of 1023 Posts