Talk About Marriage banner

741 - 760 of 1023 Posts

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Okay. Allow me a moment here to vent because I'm REALLY pissed at Amazon right now.

Have any of you tried to order food from them? I've given up again.

Selected my things. Put them in cart. Agreed to similar substitutions, if need be. Got to final window. Told to select a delivery day. All days are filled. Next told I cannot proceed with my order unless I select a delivery day. Again, no delivery days available.

Waste of time IMO. I understand delivery delays. No problem. But since Bezos bought Whole Foods, you'll be held hostage online with Amazon for food. Why? Because Whole Foods delivers the items. I'm sure there are other vendors who would like to exercise their free market privileges to take my order for beef and chicken stock. Meh!!!!

End of rant. Thank you.
Have you tried Walmart? What about the other grocery stores where you live?

What I have found these days is that Walmart has the same issue during the day... shows no delivery times available today or tomorrow. But if I wait until after midnight, I can get a delivery date/time. It will be 2 days … Monday at 12:30AM I got a pickup time today, Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
A bar (lounge) in Phoenix has found a way to stay in business. They have started home beer delievery, and they are throwing in a free roll of toilet paper with each order. Business is booming.. LOL

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-coronavirus-bar-closures

And this is why I don’t think we will fall apart as a nation if we just did this lockdown nationwide. Businesses will always find a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
@EleGirl - Thank you very much for that valuable information! I'll wait until midnight and see if I can get Walmart to deliver. I tried with Safeway last week and there were six days in advance to choose from - all reporting that none of those days were available. What a waste of time!

Here's what is concerning: Employees at grocery stores on now becoming infected; specifically, Trader Joe's. And Safeway and Albertson's sent me emails today to say they're hiring. Yeah, I bet they are. I guess it boils down to stay out of work and remain healthy and possibly living on the streets or take a chance on a paycheck and get unhealthy really fast.

If grocers end up with a sick workforce, then what?

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
And this is why I don’t think we will fall apart as a nation if we just did this lockdown nationwide. Businesses will always find a way.
Happily, pot stores ARE considered essential, and some of them are even doing drive by services during the stay home order. You pull up, they come to your car with a menu, you make your order, they go get it and ring you up and bring you back your goodies.

Some were already on delivery services here, I'm assume more will begin that, too.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Sure. Your expected hold time is 18 hours.
OMG - This was my laugh for today!!!

I'll give Amazon credit for having every item in the universe; well, almost every item. The thing is, if they ship you incorrect grocery items they can't be returned. Okay. Fair enough.

But here's the rub: Try finding the secret number to call in order to get credit for those items. I ordered several jars of recaito because my local grocer didn't carry it (odd, considering this is Arizona).

What did Amazon ship me? Three cans of vanilla cake icing. Hell, I don't even eat cake! And if I did eat cake, I'd scrape off the icing!

I practically had to go on the deep web (or is it dark web?) to find a number to call to get credit. Jeesh!!!

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
And strip clubs were considered non essential (odd, for Portland) so they were all shut down.

But the delivery strippers just jiggle at your doorstep and don't/can't touch anything/anyone.
Pot shops remain open in Washington. They are considered an essential service.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
And strip clubs were considered non essential (odd, for Portland) so they were all shut down.

But the delivery strippers just jiggle at your doorstep and don't/can't touch anything/anyone.
LOL! I'd love to have a stripper show up with my groceries. :grin2: I can only imagine the looks my neighbors would give me.:rofl: It would be such a hoot!

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
I'm just assuming the 50-60% of the entire US population will end up infected, just as some models predict.

Those are the models if we go about business as usual.

It is true, going out just to the store is still risky, one just has to do these simple exercises to lower ones statistical risk:

1. Wash your hands before you go to the store
2. Bring your own bags and bag your own groceries
3. Use a cc and do not handle cash.
4. When you get home wipe down the packaging of goods as you remove them from your bag
5. Finally, wash your hands thoroughly again.

Do these five steps and we reduce the chances of a model that says 50-60% infections, it’s all you can do.

Right after the first case was diagnosed in the US, epidemiology models said we would have at least one case in all 50 states by March 19. The models were off by two days, actual date March 17th. The same models suggested if we do nothing by mid April we could have up to 150million infected nationwide.

10-20% would need medical attention in hospital systems already at 85%. That would put hospitals needing to operate at over capacity and means all patients (COVID, heart, neurological, cancer, etc) would be triaged. By some estimates, in that world, if you triaged to be one that can wait, the wait time to see someone could be three days. The death toll directly and indirectly due to this virus could be unthinkable.

But, there are some who think our only preparation is to do nothing and not sacrifice the economy. At what cost?

I personally think the economy can rebound, but it may cause some fundamental and permanent changes. We all just need to be flexible to this new reality. History shows over and over, that epidemics/pandemics have changed societies. Adapt, adapt and adapt.

BTW @Faithful Wife, I’m not directing this rant at you in particular (I understand your concern). I’m just spouting with sputum only onto my phone and no one else, least violate all that I preach.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
I'm guessing this is where we are headed.

I hope not... simple solution, shutdown the entire country (essential workers exempt and let some industries be inventive and others work from home) until April 30th. Make an assessment at that time.

What we need is for communities to flatline (showing no new community spread). When it returns next season prepare and get ahead of it so we don’t have to go down this path again.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I sent some small bottles of hand sanitizer to family members. We don't live nearby. We have a big bottle which I used to fill up a few travel sized bottles to send them, as they couldn't locate any. I added a couple other little things, just to make it a bit more of a fun 'care package' to receive. For the most part, we're staying in and home. A couple of brief errands needed yesterday... but really, we're home as much as possible.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
I hope not... simple solution, shutdown the entire country (essential workers exempt and let some industries be inventive and others work from home) until April 30th. Make an assessment at that time.

What we need is for communities to flatline (showing no new community spread). When it returns next season prepare and get ahead of it so we don’t have to go down this path again.
Since they are not going to shut down the entire country before we end up like Italy, this is why I'm assuming the 150+million Americans number.

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
Since they are not going to shut down the entire country before we end up like Italy, this is why I'm assuming the 150+million Americans number.
This kind of neglect would be the nadir of gross ignorance and totally unacceptable!

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
@EleGirl - Thank you very much for that valuable information! I'll wait until midnight and see if I can get Walmart to deliver. I tried with Safeway last week and there were six days in advance to choose from - all reporting that none of those days were available. What a waste of time!

Here's what is concerning: Employees at grocery stores on now becoming infected; specifically, Trader Joe's. And Safeway and Albertson's sent me emails today to say they're hiring. Yeah, I bet they are. I guess it boils down to stay out of work and remain healthy and possibly living on the streets or take a chance on a paycheck and get unhealthy really fast.

If grocers end up with a sick workforce, then what?
Just to clarify. Walmart here is no longer delivering because they cannot keep up with it. Instead they still offer grocery pickup.

The way it works is that I drive to Walmart. They have a door on one side of the store for pickup. The parking spaces have signed with a number to call to tell them you are there. When I call, a few minutes later some really nice young person comes out, puts the groceries in my car. I then drive back home. I don't even have to get out of my car. They have a device to sign for your credit card, but with the pandemic, they will sign if for you with your permission.

741 - 760 of 1023 Posts