Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While we have another thread regarding Coronavirus, I thought that it would be insightful to see how the rest of our TAM community is preparing and what plans are being executed! Let's keep this strictly non political!

Out in the rural community I'm in, some 15 minutes from Aggieland(Bryan/College Station), there's no more than 500-600 sparsely situated folks.

I'm used to going to the population centers to referee football, but as of now, I'll just settle to ride this thing out with my golden compadre! And go out and check on and feed the cattle!

Got a pretty stable supply of goods and food, so I feel good about that. Will be praying for everybody's welfare as I know that y'all will be doing the same for us!

Friends and foes alike: I love you guys!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Err, buying more ammo!

But on the reality side of things, if you have done something for yourself and this you live get on the stick. It would not hurt and this way if you have to be remaining at home it will be of some comfort.

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
As a nomad, I'm trying to decide what to do.

I've been at this location for 3 months, and one of the owners returns home on Sunday.

I have 3 weeks before my next sit, so initially, I was going to drive up to Quebec and visit the major Canadian cities as I drove south.

But now I'm thinking I'll stay in the US, but still work my way to Texas.

Hopefully, the hotels will stay open, and I've read that I'll probably pay more for gas.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've been at this location for 3 months, and one of the owners returns home on Sunday.

I have 3 weeks before my next sit, so initially, I was going to drive up to Quebec and visit the major Canadian cities as I drove south.

Hopefully, the hotels will stay open, and I've read that I'll probably pay more for gas.
Market oil prices are way down at the moment, meaning that gasoline prices should be too!

·
Administrator
43,676 Posts

If you are going to stay in hotels, make sure you take a lot of disinfectant wipes with you so you can wipe down things in the hotel rooms.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

If you are going to stay in hotels, make sure you take a lot of disinfectant wipes with you so you can wipe down things in the hotel rooms.
Then lysol bomb the room!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Arb,

i am not far from you in Austin, and while i see people emptying shelves (apparently people with covad-19 crap more than others given that the shelves are empty of toilet paper), SSW cancelled and other upcoming events going in that same direction, i have not really alternated my life style...i still go out to eat, i go to work every morning, i wash my hands the same amount as i have in the past, and i am not afraid to shake someone hand. But i have refrain from licking door knob so there is that...LOL
Frankly there is more hype than there is concern....i am more likely to get killed crossing the streets (especially here) than catching the virus.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
I'll be hiding out at home until more is known. I'll really miss my Monday afternoon of cards; but, after seeing a playmate sneeze, blow her nose and go right back to fondling the cards - I'm out. She refuses to use hand sanitizer and claims "I wash my hands really good!".

A lot of good that does the rest of us so she can piss right the hell off. At least I won't be arrested for jumping across the table and strangling the life out of her old, selfish ass.

Yesterday, my ophthalmologist declared that he thinks it is a manufactured virus and is way overblown. Then he brought up the flu. Yep, cancelling all dr and dental appointments for the foreseeable future. I can only take so many idiots.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'll be hiding out at home until more is known. I'll really miss my Monday afternoon of cards; but, after seeing a playmate sneeze, blow her nose and go right back to fondling the cards - I'm out. She refuses to use hand sanitizer and claims "I wash my hands really good!".

A lot of good that does the rest of us so she can piss right the hell off. At least I won't be arrested for jumping across the table and strangling the life out of her old, selfish ass.

Yesterday, my ophthalmologist declared that he thinks it is a manufactured virus and is way overblown. Then he brought up the flu. Yep, cancelling all dr and dental appointments for the foreseeable future. I can only take so many idiots.
Hahaha. My daughter's PE teacher told all the kids it's all hype. So rest assured, all is well!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
so far in the county i live in there are 3.2 million people and 6 cases of COVID-19.

in other words, the chances of getting this thing are almost nil right now. about like winning the lottery.

of course the actual number of people who have COVID-19 in their bodies is probably several times higher because of the incubation period time and unreported cases.
so lets say the number of people who have the virus in their bodies is 10 X the number of cases reported so far; 3,200,000/60.
that means i have a 1 in 53,333 chance of getting the thing (so far). like i say, winning the lottery.

i worry so far much more about getting the good old fashioned flu which is horrible enough and probably in the magnitude of several hundred thousand cases in said county.

all the precautions for avoiding the flu (except vacinations obviously) hold true for the corona virus.

until the number of cases here reach in the thousands, i'm just not gonna get too worked up about it.

·
Administrator
43,676 Posts
I'm going to be staying home as much as possible. To keep from getting cabin fever I do things outside like gardening, yard work, walk by dog, etc.

When picking up prescriptions today, I'll use the drive-up window at Walgreens.

Will order groceries to be either delivered or to pick up at the store. Our local Walmart provides this. I think Smiths does as well.

I installed Hand Held Bidet Sprayers in both of my bathrooms. This is so that if this toilet paper shortage (hoarding) continues, we won't need as much TP. I've been meaning to install these things for a long time so it finally did it.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I started stocking up on food, not months worth, just enough of nonperishables so that if the stores are cleared out for a while we'll be ok.

I'm going to use telemed service that one of our local healthcare system/hospitals provides for things that come up.

I've wondered if I should get one of those big plastic containers that go in your tub to store water. I know some people in Florida who use them to prepare during hurricanes. But then again, I'm not sure if the city water will be impacted by people being too sick to go to work and keep the water running.

One of my friends is a prepper. She says that she has a year's worth of toilet paper, paper towels, food and water. Over the last few years she and her husband bought a lot of freeze dried food. I guess they might finally be able to use it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have done nothing to prepare, hopefully that doesn't end up being a "my bad" scenario. Truthfully I have very little in the way of stored goods here at home, maybe a weeks worth of food.

My son is visiting for a few days and he pointed out I would never starve or die of dehydration. Lots of deer, Turkey and squirrel on the property, and I have the needed ammo. I also have a sump pump that's running once a minute right now, so lots of water available in the basement if needed!

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the COVID doesn't kill us, the zombies will. I guess I'm prepared as I can be...
Hell, I don't even own a rifle!

Maybe I need to go talk to Negan or Chappelle about buying one of those bada$$ spiked zombie sticks!

·
Administrator
43,676 Posts
My brother who lives near LA went to the grocery store last night to get just a few things. He told me that it was crazy. People were buying a LOT. Many had two grocery carts full. The shelves were getting pretty empty. He said that he could hear a lot of people going on about "it's a pandemic".

People are scared. I guess not knowing what to do, buying tons of food and cleaning stuff makes people feel like they at least of control over something.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Just played tennis. We clapped our raquets at the end of the match. No special treatment of the ball but it's pretty dry. things are getting cancelled around me.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
We have a good supply of food, medicine, and other items. Our pharmacy also delivers if needed. We have neighbors who (if they're well) will get food and stuff for us if necessary (we'll do the same for them).

Aside from that, we're avoiding crowds and limiting shopping to necessary items only (we do a lot of shopping online, but boxes and such can have surviving virus on them for up to 24 hours). We wash our hands frequently, especially when out (alas, we'd normally have hand sanitizer in our car, but there is none to be found) and immediately upon getting home.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My brother who lives near LA went to the grocery store last night to get just a few things. He told me that it was crazy. People were buying a LOT. Many had two grocery carts full. The shelves were getting pretty empty. He said that he could hear a lot of people going on about "it's a pandemic".

People are scared. I guess not knowing what to do, buying tons of food and cleaning stuff makes people feel like they at least of control over something.
Greatly reminds me of all of the hoarding that goes on prior to a Gulf hurricane blowing in!

·
Administrator
43,676 Posts
We have a good supply of food, medicine, and other items. Our pharmacy also delivers if needed. We have neighbors who (if they're well) will get food and stuff for us if necessary (we'll do the same for them).

Aside from that, we're avoiding crowds and limiting shopping to necessary items only (we do a lot of shopping online, but boxes and such can have surviving virus on them for up to 24 hours). We wash our hands frequently, especially when out (alas, we'd normally have hand sanitizer in our car, but there is none to be found) and immediately upon getting home.
Yea, I have not been able to find hand sanitizer for over a week now. What I did find is that there are some those disinfectant wipes. All the other sanitizers (liquids) have been sold out for some time now. But for some reason the wipes are not. So I bought them and keep a container of them in the car now.

1 - 20 of 1140 Posts