Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching sex&love around the world on Netflix, and I just finished the tokoyo episode and I am blown away.

Why do you think there are still cultures where women allow such bad treatment and focus on doing whatever makes the man happy? These are places where women can work and have some freedoms.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I lived there for 2 years and just visited a couple years ago. It’s fairly straight in your face. Hiding that fact is surely not of interest to them 🤷🏻

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
You said the keyword. It's cultural. People believe and do according to what is traditional for their cultures. As far as some, if not many, Asian cultures, men have always been the valued gender.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Oh, you said "still." It's still that way because the cultural beliefs that started the traditions haven't changed. When there's a doctrine behind something, change seldom occurs. We here in the US, for example, don't have a societal doctrine and instead have many ideas and ideals because we are of many cultures from many different places, so we have changed frequently. East and West Asian countries are home to their people, at least for hundreds of years some of them and from nearly the beginning of time for others. Each of those countries have "a people" in a lot of ways of one mind, whereas we are many people.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Sounds like an interesting documentary so I'll look it up.

I've never wondered why some form of women's lib never got started in certain parts of the world. But I am adamant that any refugee allowed to stay in the west needs to accept the equal position that women hold next to men.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lived there for 2 years and just visited a couple years ago. It’s fairly straight in your face. Hiding that fact is surely not of interest to them
This show basically exposed the fact that marriages are sexless, and affectionateless and everyone has a side piece.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like an interesting documentary so I'll look it up.

I've never wondered why some form of women's lib never got started in certain parts of the world. But I am adamant that any refugee allowed to stay in the west needs to accept the equal position that women hold next to men.
Yes it was a very sad episode, check it out and let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
Respect for cultural traditions that go back thousands of years is obviously still significant in some parts of the world. Just because women “can“ do something in those cultures doesn’t mean they “will“. Western European values don’t prevail.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Respect for cultural traditions that go back thousands of years is obviously still significant in some parts of the world. Just because women “can“ do something in those cultures doesn’t mean they “will“. Western European values don’t prevail.
I’m referencing this show because the women talk about how unhappy they are with the way things are. I would also add that most women I. These counties probably wish it wasn’t like this.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I’m referencing this show because the women talk about how unhappy they are with the way things are. I would also add that most women I. These counties probably wish it wasn’t like this.
They may be unhappy but that doesn’t mean they will go against their culture. Individualism isn’t valued.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Some girls and women do go against their culture and they end up dead.

In once read about how a father in Turkey buried his teenage daughter alive (because they found dirt in her lungs) because she was too friendly with the boys in her class...... whatever that means.

Even in the UK, the police have to litigate against "honor killings."

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
This show basically exposed the fact that marriages are sexless, and affectionateless and everyone has a side piece.
At one time marriage in many Western societies was about the money, family status and procreation. Recreational sex was about infidelity. There was a practical angle to it, in that losing sexual interest in your spouse was no reason to get divorced.

·
Administrator
44,321 Posts
I was just watching sex&love around the world on Netflix, and I just finished the tokoyo episode and I am blown away.

Why do you think there are still cultures where women allow such bad treatment and focus on doing whatever makes the man happy? These are places where women can work and have some freedoms.
For traditions, or social norms, like this to change the people who hold the power have to agree that there is good cause to give up some of their power/control. And there has to be a mechanism for change. The women cannot change it all on their own. They need men who also support the idea and will help to pass the laws that force the change on all of the society.

This is why western cultures have made the changes that have given women equal rights, because our laws and culture allows for evaluation and and change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts