Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Leace what unlocked?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Wow, I had no idea Honolulu was high crime. That's sad.

Everybody should lock their doors. All it takes is one addict or one drunk or one mentally ill person who just happens to be where you are living. It's happened to me more than once and I locked mine. one time he kicked the entire door frame out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I grew up surrounded by violence and insecurity in a third world country. I'm not that paranoid anymore but I always lock my doors and windows. I try to always be aware of my surroundings.

When I was in HS one time my friend and I made a mistake and walked through the middle of a park (during day time) and we ended up surrounded by 3 thieves that put a machete to my neck. I got money in my pocket and my friend had some change. They took the change and run because we were close to a police station. We were scared but this kind of things happened every day so we were happy they didn't kill us!
My sister was almost kidnapped at gun point while driving home. It was a vehicle with 2 or 3 people in it. She purposely crashed into their vehicle because they blocked her way. They shot at her, they rammed into her vehicle, I don't know how she got away! It was crazy!!

Things like this happen every day in other parts of the world and people are so used to it!! It's sad to become desensitized to some of the violent acts!

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I live outside the city limits of Tucson, which has a very high crime rate. I worked with a gal at my last job who left a friend's apartment around 9 p.m. She was grabbed from behind, choked, and mugged. She was happy to be alive. She lost her purse in the ambush, but she got away with a few bruises and the attacker didn't rape her.

Drugs are a big problem here, as is gang warfare. Car break-ins are also huge. I live in a very safe neighborhood, and I don't go out after dark (except on a rare occasion). Actually, I think the biggest crime in the greater Tucson area is the insane driving. Hit-and-run accidents are rather common. Pedestrians being mowed down in crosswalks is also a frequent occurrence.

·
Premium Member
25,838 Posts
Wow, I had no idea Honolulu was high crime. That's sad.

Everybody should lock their doors. All it takes is one addict or one drunk or one mentally ill person who just happens to be where you are living. It's happened to me more than once and I locked mine. one time he kicked the entire door frame out.
The 2018 crime rate in Honolulu, HI is 229 (City-Data.com crime index), which is about the average for the U.S. cities. It was higher than in 73.3% U.S. cities. The 2018 Honolulu crime rate rose by 6% compared to 2017. The number of homicides stood at 25 - a decrease of 7 compared to 2017. In the last 5 years Honolulu has seen increasing violent crime and decline of property crime

It is all skewed by theft and auto thefts. But Honolulu is still lower than nearly 75% of all US cities for crime. A large part crime in downtown Honolulu is among the homeless population

Move outside Honolulu area, and crime drops dramatically.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Pasta sauce, that sounds so scary. Only advice I can give people is get up and walk out of there if you have to, to a better place if you can. I get that third world countries there probably isn't a better place to go. But there are people living in the worst areas of the United States that could walk 10 miles and be out of it.

Prodigal, I didn't realize Tucson had gotten that bad. I guess the only person I knew who lived there was living out in the country kind of.

·
Banned
1,457 Posts
And, that is a few high profile, other than that, I leave my door unlocked when I walk my dog, etc.
I do and my windows are open, others this time of year it is way too hot.
You never know if someone could be watching you. Just knowing you have a dog, they know you're going to walk him at some point. Please consider that everyone has a false sense of security until something happens to them. It happened to us when I was 5 or 6 years old. We lived in what my parents thought was a safe area, and they really thought they were safe because they were well-known in the community. That is, until a bunch of guys (I dont know how many, to a little kid it seemed like a lot of them) invaded our home through our unlocked door to rob us. They made us all lie down on the bed while they rampaged our house and took whatever they wanted. I'll never forget my mom becoming stretch armstrong trying to stretch her arms and legs across us to protect me and my sisters. She yelled at them "DON'T YOU HURT MY BABIES!" One of the guys told her "I would never harm anything that belongs to you." That let us know they knew us and that they liked my mom, not romantically necessarily (can't really know what he meant by that), but my mom was beautiful and friendly - everybody liked her. Based on his comment, it doesn't take an enemy to do you wrong.

I was robbed at gunpoint by two guys on a busy street in the early afternoon hours and was robbed by three guys around 10:00 at night. Each time, I was doing what I normally do. The three guys had followed me home to find out where I live. That night, they weren't looking for someone to rob. They were specifically waiting for me.

I've known that to happen with other women too, and your dog gives you away and makes you vulnerable. There's always a bad element everywhere you go. Because nothing has ever happened doesn't mean it never will.

·
Premium Member
25,838 Posts
You never know if someone could be watching you. Just knowing you have a dog, they know you're going to walk him at some point. Please consider that everyone has a false sense of security until something happens to them. It happened to us when I was 5 or 6 years old. We lived in what my parents thought was a safe area, and they really thought they were safe because they were well-known in the community. That is, until a bunch of guys (I dont know how many, to a little kid it seemed like a lot of them) invaded our home through our unlocked door to rob us. They made us all lie down on the bed while they rampaged our house and took whatever they wanted. I'll never forget my mom becoming stretch armstrong trying to stretch her arms and legs across us to protect me and my sisters. She yelled at them "DON'T YOU HURT MY BABIES!" One of the guys told her "I would never harm anything that belongs to you." That let us know they knew us and that they liked my mom, not romatically necessarily (can't really know what he meant by that), but my mom was beautiful and friendly - everybody liked her. Based on his comment, it doesn't take an enemy to do you wrong.

I was robbed at gunpoint by two guys on a busy street in the early afternoon hours and was robbed by three guys around 10:00 at night. Each time, I was doing what I normally do. The three guys had followed me home to find out where I live. That night, they weren't looking for someone to rob. They were specifically waiting for me.

I've known that to happen with other women too, and your dog gives you away and makes you vulnerable. There's always a bad element everywhere you go. Because nothing has ever happened doesn't mean it never will.
I know all of my neighbors, some are my relatives and if you were a stranger in my neighborhood, everyone who is home, which would be about half of the neighborhood, would know.

Again, I don’t live in a congested city, I live in the countryside.

Our bigger threat, are the feral pigs that come in our yard after a big rain and why I have a crossbow.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
If you live in a large city, you deal with crime. That’s just unfortunate reality. If you live in the suburbs of a large city, you may or may not deal with it.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You never know if someone could be watching you. Just knowing you have a dog, they know you're going to walk him at some point. Please consider that everyone has a false sense of security until something happens to them. It happened to us when I was 5 or 6 years old. We lived in what my parents thought was a safe area, and they really thought they were safe because they were well-known in the community. That is, until a bunch of guys (I dont know how many, to a little kid it seemed like a lot of them) invaded our home through our unlocked door to rob us. They made us all lie down on the bed while they rampaged our house and took whatever they wanted. I'll never forget my mom becoming stretch armstrong trying to stretch her arms and legs across us to protect me and my sisters. She yelled at them "DON'T YOU HURT MY BABIES!" One of the guys told her "I would never harm anything that belongs to you." That let us know they knew us and that they liked my mom, not romantically necessarily (can't really know what he meant by that), but my mom was beautiful and friendly - everybody liked her. Based on his comment, it doesn't take an enemy to do you wrong.

it's important not to have a visible routine such as walking your dog at a certain time. What happened to you was awful and certainly they knew your mother. I'm surprised she didn't recognize their voices or something. Sometimes even a relative is behind something like that. Probably an ex. And if someone is able to see your routine, that also means they are right nearby. Could be a neighbor or neighbor's son. Could be a friend of one of the older children. but they are either nearby or they have inside information.

Sorry all of that happened to you. it's a terrible feeling and one that you never get over.

I hope everyone realizes by now that you must never leave your door or window open. most vandalisms come from someone who lives very near you and can easily see when you have done something like that. they wait for you to leave and then crawl in through a window or if there are real creep they go ahead and crawl in while you're there and that's what's dangerous.
It isn't usually someone who just randomly comes into your neighborhood and does that although it happens once in awhile, but these are crimes of opportunity if you're leaving your door or window open.

when you have a family it's hard to get them all to close their doors and windows and pay attention to all that but whoever the adult in the household is has to see to it that it's done and that everyone knows to do it.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
30+ years in the same rural home, and we still don't lock the doors. None of our immediate neighbors have ever been victimized either.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I follow all the crime in my extended neighborhood. It's worse around apartments, but living in Texas, there are a lot of transient Hispanics just looking for anything like lawn equipment or anything at all, so we have pretty much daily petty theft and especially of cars left outside but also sheds, people looking in from the alley, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Unfortunately, someone who has decided you're not home and is going to rob you won't care if it's open or not, though. 40% of residential homes that are robbed are corner lots. That's a couple of reasons. One is because a lucid thief will look for a side that's not up against something, a blind spot while they break in. The other reason is sometimes being on a corner, you are by a bus stop where it won't be reported if someone is standing out there casing your house.

My last rent home was both. And it was enclosed on the side porch, and that is where he took the time to batter the door frame completely off the house. He was seen jumping across the fence right there by that with my top-of-the-line jambox (portable stereo), which still makes me sick because you can't get good ones like that anymore. Fortunately, a neighbor saw him take it to a truck with a horizontally halved licence plate, very distinctive.

When I came home, I had my favorite old dog there on that semi-busy corner and walked in, saw the kitchen door on the floor, saw my old binoculars my dad had given me as a kid on the kitchen counter, grabbed my dog, and went a few blocks to where my sister lived to call police (before cellphones). They beat me there. Because it looked like he was still in progress when I walked in, though I never saw him.

My dog's nose turned white. He had pepper-sprayed her. Honestly, my first thought was just relief he had not let her out, gratitude, even. Until I found out he pepper-sprayed her. That old girl didn't need any more trauma. I'm honestly surprised she didn't tear him up. I'd like to think she had, but I guess first thing he sprayed her. She was probably just scared.

They picked him up right away because of the half of a license plate. He was some random junkie out on parole. So I knew he'd be going right back to jail and I also knew he was probably stayed so f'd up he had no idea where I lived and that it was random. I asked the police to dust for prints (they will skip this unless you insist on robberies, I found out) and were also able to match him that way. I was lucky it was resolved. Most aren't, but I had a witness across the street who was paying attention -- although I did fault her for not calling 911 when she first saw him jump over the fence with my stereo. She was afraid it was someone I knew or something I guess. As if.

I'll tell you about my other break in separately.

·
Banned
1,457 Posts
Unfortunately, someone who has decided you're not home and is going to rob you won't care if it's open or not, though. 40% of residential homes that are robbed are corner lots. That's a couple of reasons. One is because a lucid thief will look for a side that's not up against something, a blind spot while they break in. The other reason is sometimes being on a corner, you are by a bus stop where it won't be reported if someone is standing out there casing your house.

My last rent home was both. And it was enclosed on the side porch, and that is where he took the time to batter the door frame completely off the house. He was seen jumping across the fence right there by that with my top-of-the-line jambox (portable stereo), which still makes me sick because you can't get good ones like that anymore. Fortunately, a neighbor saw him take it to a truck with a horizontally halved licence plate, very distinctive.

When I came home, I had my favorite old dog there on that semi-busy corner and walked in, saw the kitchen door on the floor, saw my old binoculars my dad had given me as a kid on the kitchen counter, grabbed my dog, and went a few blocks to where my sister lived to call police (before cellphones). They beat me there. Because it looked like he was still in progress when I walked in, though I never saw him.

My dog's nose turned white. He had pepper-sprayed her. Honestly, my first thought was just relief he had not let her out, gratitude, even. Until I found out he pepper-sprayed her. That old girl didn't need any more trauma. I'm honestly surprised she didn't tear him up. I'd like to think she had, but I guess first thing he sprayed her. She was probably just scared.

They picked him up right away because of the half of a license plate. He was some random junkie out on parole. So I knew he'd be going right back to jail and I also knew he was probably stayed so f'd up he had no idea where I lived and that it was random. I asked the police to dust for prints (they will skip this unless you insist on robberies, I found out) and were also able to match him that way. I was lucky it was resolved. Most aren't, but I had a witness across the street who was paying attention -- although I did fault her for not calling 911 when she first saw him jump over the fence with my stereo. She was afraid it was someone I knew or something I guess. As if.

I'll tell you about my other break in separately.
Aww he pepper sprayed your doggie. Poor old girl.

Losing your stereo reminds me of a break-in, where I came home and found the big dining room window wide open. I'd lived there for about 2 months and never thought to check the windows, just assumed they were locked (stupid 20-something year old that I was). I immediately turned right around and left out of the house and called my boyfriend. His restaurant was only a mile away, so I knew he would get there way before the police. After he went through the house, I came in and checked to see what was missing. The only thing the guy took was an old VCR. It was sitting on top of a newer one, so I guess he heard me come into the driveway and made a mad dash down the stairs and back out the window with just that one. When I discovered the VCR missing, I burst out laughing "AHA it was broken anyway." LOL

After the home invasion when I was little, I have no idea what the took. I only remember my dad saying "And they tried to take the TV" because it had been moved from its spot. This was the mid-60s if you can imagine how big and heavy those floor model color TVs were back then, full of glass tubes and that great big picture tube. I guess they couldn't get it down the stairs or didn't want to be seen struggling with it. Whatever the reason, I was glad we still had it so I could watch Disney on Sundays.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts