Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for solutions to my marriage troubles I have read alot of the self help and marriage books everyone recommends just trying to find out what is wrong with me so I can fix it. I also do alot of research on personality disorders and addiction/substance abuse etc... I sometimes come across tests for these conditions. I just filed out one for borderline personality disorder.

As I was taking the quiz alot of the questions scarily seemed directed at someone like my wife!!! Not good huh? I keep trying to blame myself but maybe it isn't me?

Anyway the following is how I scored-

Disorder Rating Information
Paranoid: Low
Schizoid: Low
Schizotypal: Low
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Low
Histrionic: Moderate
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Low
Dependent: Low
Obsessive-Compulsive: Low

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I keep trying to blame myself but maybe it isn't me?
It always takes two to create marriage problems. You shouldn't try to take all the blame, nor should you try to blame her for everything.

Tests like that are sometimes useful and sometimes not. I don't think this one is all that useful, personally.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It always takes two to create marriage problems. You shouldn't try to take all the blame, nor should you try to blame her for everything.

Tests like that are sometimes useful and sometimes not. I don't think this one is all that useful, personally.
Let me rephrase that, "maybe it isn't ALL me". I know I have to be hard to deal with, I wouldn't want to be married to me. :p

·
Banned
5,402 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't take that test seriously. For one thing it relies on self perceptions and people with PDs have a distorted sense of self. Thats why it takes a professional to make a diagnosis. It's also a matter of degree. You might think that you worry too much about what other people think but in reality it's an average amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Both my husband and I have taken this test - I think we both scored accurately for self-reporting. As Diwali stated, it is no replacement for a professional diagnosis.

I thought I was BPD and/or Histrionic but when I began therapy I learned that I have PTSD - symptoms of which do mimic some personality disorders.

It's good that you're interested and engaged in pursuing betterment. As Kathy stated, it takes two... So focus on you and encourage your wife to pursue her betterment as well. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
411 Posts
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: High
Schizotypal: High
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Low
Histrionic: Moderate
Narcissistic: Low
Avoidant: Very High
Dependent: Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive: High
URL of the test: Personality Disorder Test - Personality Test
URL for more info: Personality Disorders - Advice, Books, Info and Help

fun times :D

These tests are just for fun. Scoring very high on borderline doesn't automatically mean you are borderline. If someone is truly borderline, you'll know. They are INSANE. The test saying a crazy person might have borderline personality might actually mean something; you already know there's a problem and the test is pointing you in the right direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.