1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I will preface this all with a couple of things:

- I really do not like Trump
- I am pretty far left in the US

Now, there seems to be a consistent narrative about how the 'left' and the democrats are driving a panic. They are inflating the virus, blasting the president's response, calling him racist, and on and on it goes. They are being accused of 'politicizing' this thing for the 2020 election and doing so in a way that shows they want people to die, they want a pandemic, and they are rubbing their hands together with delight as America suffers. Anything to make Trump look bad, there is no price to high!

So, a few times these ideas have been presented here on this forum, in the other threads on the virus. However, when asked for examples of Dems calling Trump racist for blocking travel from China in February, none are provided. When asked for examples of the 'left' media driving panic, none are provided. I am not saying that outliers are not there, but there is not a consistent, fear based, panic inducing drive from any MSM that I have seen. Even places like WaPo and CNN are reporting stories and facts. There is nothing on there about how we are all going to die.

Yet, this morning, I was at Foxnews.com and came across this gem: https://video.foxnews.com/v/6141697994001/

So, in that clip, we have a complete politicization of this story, with a shot at the left. Just for good measure, lets thrown in a cut out clip of Biden from 10 years ago. WTF does that have to do with anything we are dealing with? What is the context, what is the point? The only point is to posture for the 2020 election (the evil thing that they accuse the left of doing).

To be fair, on the front page of CNN there is this clip: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/13/trump-coronavirus-press-conference-pbs-yamiche-alcindor-question-sot-vpx.cnn

However, there are two differences at least: 1 - it is topical to now and 2 - Trump's answer is ridiculous.

So, you can say that is the left politicizing it, but at least it is a question that matters now and makes sense to talk about in light of the current pandemic.

----

When this all blows over, we are going to get bombarded with the message that the Dems, Biden, the left, etc, all tried to make us panic and wanted a pandemic. People will believe it, just like they believe there is a message of panic being sent out right now.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
But those who are looking for someone to blame are quite foolish, but are still trying to point fingers I believe at this stage it truly irevelant. But because of political beliefs will point fingers at others to blame. But if we can forget our political ties/differences maybe we can work together. During this time of crisis.

And to those who don't really should apply their expertise to those in their parties to assist the one currently in power, to get quicker results for the masses.

It amazes me, those who act it's as if there it nothing more important at this time, but political alligences have it's time and place. Now is not the time for alienation, but to empower those who are in power to do and pass and support money to solve this delima we currently face.

But to those who disagree it's ok to believe what you want to believe, but it will not get the cure or resources for the average person to survive. But if they do have the answers contact your political party/ representative to put a fire under then.

This is my view, and no one may agree, now is the time to work together and not to divide or conquer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
But those who are looking for someone to blame are quite foolish, but are still trying to point fingers I believe at this stage it truly irevelant. But because of political beliefs will point fingers at others to blame. But if we can forget our political ties/differences maybe we can work together. During this time of crisis.

And to those who don't really should apply their expertise to those in their parties to assist the one currently in power, to get quicker results for the masses.

It amazes me, those who act it's as if there it nothing more important at this time, but political alligences have it's time and place. Now is not the time for alienation, but to empower those who are in power to do and pass and support money to solve this delima we currently face.

But to those who disagree it's ok to believe what you want to believe, but it will not get the cure or resources for the average person to survive. But if they do have the answers contact your political party/ representative to put a fire under then.

This is my view, and no one may agree, now is the time to work together and not to divide or conquer.
I actually do agree with you. I admit, I don’t have a lot of faith in our current leadership, but I am actually hoping to be surprised. This moment can make or break the Trump presidency. What he does at this moment will be what defines him in history. But as liberal as I am, I have very little tolerance for the posturing on either side when it comes to this crisis. On the other hand, I have a lot more forgiveness for sincere effort. We aren’t coming out on top of this. There will be damage no matter what, and it’s no one’s fault.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Unless China suddenly got Muslim, it isn't.
Also nothing to do with Covid-19.
Fantastic. It just go to show the travel ban to/from China is nothing more than mitigating the risk to the American public thats a serious health situation in China. I think the same can be be said of the travel ban imposed on other countries. Now,it will be cool if we can just stop some folks from claiming its racist and xenophobic to say the Wuhan virus began in China.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Quoting: "All over America, the coronavirus is revealing, or at least reminding us, just how much of contemporary American life is bull****, with power structures built on punishment and fear as opposed to our best interest."
Yup!! Exactly....

And so much other truths in the article.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I tend to agree. In respect to " People thrown in jail for minor offenses? San Antonio is one of many jurisdictions to announce that, to keep jails from being crowded with sick citizens, they’ll stop doing that. Why were they doing it in the first place?", I can say with confidence that in west Georgia, police arrest folks for any offense that will get them an appearance in Recorder's court, (initial appearance for arrestee before a judge) in order for the officer to collect court pay. Some officers collect several thousand a year in court pay. Its basically a sideline business.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I tend to agree. In respect to " People thrown in jail for minor offenses? San Antonio is one of many jurisdictions to announce that, to keep jails from being crowded with sick citizens, they’ll stop doing that. Why were they doing it in the first place?", I can say with confidence that in west Georgia, police arrest folks for any offense that will get them an appearance in Recorder's court, (initial appearance for arrestee before a judge) in order for the officer to collect court pay. Some officers collect several thousand a year in court pay. Its basically a sideline business.
Thanks to the political satire shows on Comedy Central I'm aware of this practice. The conspiracy theory is that this practice is created to show private companies that the police force has many revenue streams and should be attractive to a private company to buy the contract to perform the service ..... and get taxpayers' money for doing so.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Vlad, you must live near me! I live in NW Ga.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Speaking of left vs. right, why isn’t foxnews updating their coronavirus count on their online news site? For example, they still have Georgia at 42, we are at 99 according to the rest of the news. Little things like that are frustrating when it comes to believing what’s posted on news sites.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-us-state-by-state-breakdown

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/us-coronavirus-cases-state-by-state/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see 111 cases according to the Fox list for GA this morn.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Vlad, you must live near me! I live in NW Ga.
I live in NE Ga. Lots of GA residents here apparently.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I see 111 cases according to the Fox list for GA this morn.

lol.. not if you click the link I posted (and I just went directly to foxnews.com and the most current link to that is below)

“-Georgia: 42 cases, 1 death”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-us-state-by-state-breakdown

Share your link if you see something different please?

And this link from an entirely different site for Georgia has it at 99

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-georgia-atlanta-live-updates/85-3a6ff785-401f-47ef-83e1-adfee5a7f876

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
Thread Jack time.... Didn't realize there were so many people from the northern parts of Georgia on this forum..... I'm in Atlanta.

On to the subject of Coronavirus. My bff is a doctor. The Coronavirus is a having a huge impact on her practice but not the way one would assume. Her practice was busting at the seams busy last week. She saw 12 patients with flu symptoms. The rest were there for anxiety issues. She's handing out Xanex prescriptions like it's candy.

I think the government should use this time to legalize pot. It would benefit us two fold - keep people indoors (high but indoors), and anxiety would be at an all time low.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts