Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most experts in the field agree that this (administration of oxytocin as a spray to males already engaged in a relationship to which they profess to be committed) is unlikely to work, for various reasons. This doesn't stop over eager scientists from hyping their work, or ill-informed reporters from mischaracterizing current work.

I agree though, any scientist claiming this should do a study that actually tests this before making wild claims. I don't know what can be done about reporters, or those selling these products, who misunderstand the research, deliberately or out of ignorance.

Rest assured, most of the people working in this field don't believe this hype either.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
The best way to get oxytocin is to have feelings for the spouse. Those feelings come from the spouse meeting the others needs.

I suspect this type of thing could be used to enable cheating by the female. Meaning spray the husband so that he trusts blindly. Or so that he is less likely to take a stand against the infidelity.

That said the article is so superficial it is hard to say what effects this drug really has. Maybe it increases paranoia. Or in general makes a man more passive in nature. They could market it as Eunuch for Men.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
If this was on the market, would've ordered one for my dad a while back.

Out of curiosity, why is it the men that we assume, always stray?
This forum leads me to believe that women cheat in just as large, if not greater than, numbers than men.
Seems like they marry beta, then affair with alpha.

But that is just my opinion.
It is the new sexism. Basically outdated thinking. Also is less politically correct to "control" women. This is controlling for sure. But indeed we have been providing controls to boys in schools for some time now. Ritalin for boys for example.

My daughter ( high school teacher ) tells me that she sees male traits in the classroom to be something that many wish to supress while female traits aare something encourage. This is something she volunteered as an observation to me.

So my point is that society feels they need to supress / control men's behavior with medication and programming. You just are not going to get the PC crowd to go along with spraying a wife with something to make her be more faithful.

I am trying not be an alarmist here but indeed this is a step towrds drug use to control men. What happened to those that say they own their own body? Would it be illegal for a wife to do this without her husbands knowledge?

And why do I need a wife if all I need is a nasal spray?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The best way to get oxytocin is to have feelings for the spouse. Those feelings come from the spouse meeting the other needs.

I suspect this type of thing could be used to enable cheating by the female. Meaning spray the husband so that he trusts blindly. Or so that he is less likely to take a stand against the infidelity.

That said the article is so superficial it is hard to say what effects this drug really has. Maybe it increases paranoia. Or in general makes a man more passive in nature. They could market it as Eunuch for Men.
Or Trust Spray? I can just see the ad for it:-

"Can't trust your spouse? Try Trust Spray. A spray a day keeps affairs at bay. Trust Spray. The spray that women trust!"

:rofl:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Or Trust Spray? I can just see the ad for it:-

"Can't trust your spouse? Try Trust Spray. A spray a day keeps affairs at bay. Trust Spray. The spray that women trust!"

:rofl:
We had a running joke at my workplace 15 years ago. They removed the water fountains and insisted we drink the supplied water in the vending machines. We called it "Trust In A Bottle".

Being an avid powerlifter I am very leary about messing with ones hormones too much. I am all for doing natural things to increase testosterone for example. BUT, often when one takes a supplement, they become dependent on the supplement. To the point where this drug could have the opposite effect once the person comes off of the hormone. Oxytocin is only one part of the equation. Dopamine is another.

I suspect the target group of guys would not willingly take such a thing while already overly beta guys would jump to please their mate and opt for using this making them even more beta. Ugh. Do we really need men being even more beta? If you have to take a drug to keep you from cheating is it really the right answer? I think not.

It is also odd as the article points out that the oxytocin did not make them trust these other women more. Something very odd going on there.
Then again this may be a hoax.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If it took a 'drug' to stop my partner from cheating, I think it would be time to call it a day.

I agree that it's possibly a hoax.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I prefer
men (they are more naturally Romantic!) ... so long as they are good looking physically, they win for me hands down ... I love too many things about those types to turn my nose.

I believe much of this has to do with another hormone not mentioned on this thread yet...vasopressin....it has been studied by scientists for over 25 yrs and much of their study comes down to Prairie voles and receptors...explained in these links further than I can do justice. I find all of these findings fascinating.

High on Fidelity » American Scientist

Some Men Lack Receptor for Snuggling, Scientists Say

If your husband doesn’t want to snuggle with you on Valentine’s Day, blame science – a Georgetown researcher says many men have a brain receptor that doesn’t bind well to the “snuggling hormone.”

He says some, but not all men, have a form of vasopressin receptor that makes them less likely to want to wrap their arms around their partner on the sofa, while others have a type that results in them enjoying a snuggle, “nest-building,” child-rearing and the like.
Prairie Versus Meadow

Researchers have looked at how vasopressin and oxytocin are distributed in the brains of male prairie versus meadow voles, Sherman explains.

Sherman says that the male prairie vole mates for life. The vole stays next to his mate after copulating and helps build their nest.

In contrast, the male meadow vole impregnates the female and never sees her again.

The scientist says the variable that matters most between the two types of male voles is how much vasopressin hormone they utilize.

Not surprisingly, he says, studies of brain anatomy show that the meadow voles have the “non-snuggling” receptors that use a lot of vasopressin.
EVOLUTION OF SEXUALITY
THE ELIXIR OF LOVE

a 2008 study by Swedish researchers who examined the vasopressin receptor genes in over 2,000 people. Having a particular vasopressin allele was inversely linked to the strength of a person's bond to his or her mate; men with two copies of this allele were more than twice as likely to report serious marital problems as men who did not carry the allele. Women married to men with one or two copies of the allele reported less satisfactory marriages.

The study supports previous findings that a single molecule can influence pairbonding, but in this study there was a surprising inverse relationship with the presence of an allele for the receptor.

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
The best way to get oxytocin is to have feelings for the spouse. Those feelings come from the spouse meeting the others needs.

I don't know. Me being a Beta did the trick for my wife. She didn't need the spray, just some extra cash, an ability to set her own work schedule and a few single/divorced friends for encouragement.

Add alcohol and a few alpha's and voila! Man, I gotta learn this Alpha thing. :smthumbup:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I prefer
men (they are more naturally Romantic!) ... so long as they are good looking physically, they win for me hands down ... I love too many things about those types to turn my nose.

I believe much of this has to do with another hormone not mentioned on this thread yet...vasopressin....it has been studied by scientists for over 25 yrs and much of their study comes down to Prairie voles and receptors...explained in these links further than I can't do justice. I find all of these findings fascinating.

High on Fidelity » American Scientist

Some Men Lack Receptor for Snuggling, Scientists Say

EVOLUTION OF SEXUALITY
THE ELIXIR OF LOVE
You are correct SA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.