Talk About Marriage banner

1821 - 1840 of 2301 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,821
@EleGirl Very few people from my area will drive 1.5-2 hours to get tested just to be told to go home and self-quarantine for at least 7++++days until their test comes back.

If a doctor referred them yes they might.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
Or just stay away from places where there are large groups of people jammed together, i.e. cities. Can't really social distance yourself when people are crammed together. Seems to me it's common sense that the best way to break the chain is to not put yourself in that situation.

True, it’s called social distancing in combination with good hygiene will break the chain. It is common sense, my point is that no one should have a sense of false security (city dweller vs rural resident). We should assume everyone is a vector.

This takes the cooperation of all of us in a way we are not used to cooperating. Know thy enemy to defeat thy enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
11,685 Posts
So they say.

If so why are clinics being told they are on indefinite backorder?

Why can medical workers not get tested?

Any idea how rural much of Oklahoma is?

Some from the east central portion of Oklahoma posted their story of having been sent to north west Arkansas as a designated testing center. A good 2 hour drive.

I think it’s just a way to keep the numbers down.
Because the kits are being denied to those locations so they can be sent to the designated testing centers.

I guess I need to qualify what I am saying. The county I live in has under 27,000, with the largest town (also the county seat) having around 3,800, which is an hour away from me. FTR, my county does not have a testing center.

So yes...I understand rural counties, and the challenges they face, as I not only reside in one, but also assist 19 others with planning as about 70% of my day-to-day duties.

As for testing center locations, there are many rural counties in Tennessee that do not have testing centers, but a neighboring county (or two over for some) will have one.

ETA: As for no testing of medical personnel, I have no idea. That is a Department of Health question.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
It is not the testing kits that are of issue in many places it comes down to the simplest of supplies:

Not enough PPE for those testing and those treating. And as such decisions/priorities have to be made.

And in some places there are not enough cotton swabs to get mucus samples from nasal cavity and or oral cavity.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
Most of the manufacturing of PPE and simple articles of medicine are produced in China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Puerto Rico. Some of these supply lines have been broken.

In the wake of this maybe we need to consider our national security from a health care perspective.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,826
Because the kits are being denied to those locations so they can be sent to the designated testing centers.

I guess I need to qualify what I am saying. The county I live in has under 27,000, with the largest town (also the county seat) having around 3,800, which is an hour away from me. FTR, my county does not have a testing center.

So yes...I understand rural counties, and the challenges they face, as I not only reside in one, but also assist 19 others with planning as about 70% of my day-to-day duties.

As for testing center locations, there are many rural counties in Tennessee that do not have testing centers, but a neighboring county (or two over for some) will have one.

ETA: As for no testing of medical personnel, I have no idea. That is a Department of Health question.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Question in medical personal not being tested shouldn’t have been there, as we found out and my brain forgot to update. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
How are children, the elderly and disabled supposed to rely on themselves for survival?

In this crisis some (regardless of these vulnerable groups, but especially these groups) will be dependent on others whether that is family, friends or the medical services.

Doomsday Preppers cannot prepare for this type of crisis.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
So you admit to hoarding toilet paper!!!! :banhim:

:laugh:
Mrs. NLLH was the proactive one on that angle. She saw this train wreck way before I did. She hit Costco pretty hard on my debit card LOL.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Well I just took stock of my provisions to ride this thing out: 28 bottles of assorted red and white wines, five bottles of Kentucky’s finest, three cases of Budweiser, plenty of paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, and plenty of food. While all of this goes on, I plan to barbecue a bunch of baby backed ribs. Deliver some to friends and family, and return to my house and spend time as I have been playing the guitar and singing my favorite Merle Haggard tunes that drive my wife nuts....my favorite is “Let’s Chase Each Other Round The Room Tonight”.

Now if my wife can figure out how to cut my hair I will be in business. If this thing gets worse, I am Just going to buzz my head like a recruit.
Keep asinging and as far as the cut bald men do it better.

Singing I mean...😎

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,831
@Ikaika your post on staying hydrated to preserve integrity of mucosal membranes:
When having whooping cough as a child I learned to keep a cloth or blanket over my nose while sleeping in cold winter months to soothe dry sinus, and still to this day do so even if visiting relatives who have central heat and air, because it dries out nose and throat.

It would seem for those who Are more prone to have difficulties keep membranes moist, wearing anything over ones face to preserve the moisture while in dry environments would help with inhibiting any virus whose preference is mucus membranes, even if what they used isn’t considered PPE.

Despite how hydrated I know folks whose membranes seem so thin they get nose bleeds in extremely dry environments.

·
Premium Member
23,410 Posts
@Ikaika your post on staying hydrated to preserve integrity of mucosal membranes:

When having whooping cough as a child I learned to keep a cloth or blanket over my nose while sleeping in cold winter months to soothe dry sinus, and still to this day do so even if visiting relatives who have central heat and air, because it dries out nose and throat.

It would seem for those who Are more prone to have difficulties keep membranes moist, wearing anything over ones face to preserve the moisture while in dry environments would help with inhibiting any virus whose preference is mucus membranes, even if what they used isn’t considered PPE.

Despite how hydrated I know folks whose membranes seem so thin they get nose bleeds in extremely dry environments.

If it works use it. The average person does not need PPE, unless:

They are sick (then they should wear a mask to reduce spread)
Or, treating someone who is sick to avoid contracting it

For the rest of us, reduce risk (probability) - keeping membranes moist is another strategy. However you do it, as long as there is no risk of added toxicity, by all means do it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,834

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
For those in rural areas:

Receiving a COVID-19 test is just as difficult in urban areas at the moment. In my city of 500 million, inside Los Angeles County, you are not tested unless you have all 3 symptoms of the virus (fever, dry cough, shortness of breath).

They tried a few drive-up testing locations here in Los Angeles and Orange Counties however they quickly became overwhelmed and shut down (within hours) because of demand and shortage of supplies and staff.

Apparently you must be an "important" person to get tested at the moment (sans symptoms) ... a politician, pro athlete or celebrity. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Perhaps this will change soon, but who knows?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Arm yourself with:

An in-home office (if possible)
Soap
Netflix, Hulu, etc subscription
Good health

You don’t need to arm yourself with:

Large quantities of toilet paper
Large quantities of canned soup
Guns and ammo

The enemy is a virus we are understanding more and more each day and not each (which I think we don’t understand).

·
Registered
450 Posts
OK I'm an idiot and have yet to figure out how to "quote" and add comment.

But my comment is would do/have all of this be OK ? IMHO is the smart thing to do.

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
OK I'm an idiot and have yet to figure out how to "quote" and add comment.

But my comment is would do/have all of this be OK ? IMHO is the smart thing to do.
There is a "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of each post. Click that button. It will open the quoted post in an advance edit window. Then just add your text below the quoted post.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,840
After 18 different healthcare groups got on the governors case he finally placed a “safer at home” order for counties with community spread.

In other words, the vulnerable can’t be fired for not going to work.

All non-essential businesses to be closed in those counties which has already been done by mayors of those places. His order will only effect the outlying areas.

Basically he ain’t done nothing.

He did state even though 106 are reported he believes there are 500 positives, and will soon be thousands Confirmed.

The more we see the more we are convinced they are holding test reporting back intentionally to keep numbers artificially low, since there are positive tests back in counties not yet reporting any on state data base or being reported in state totals.

1821 - 1840 of 2301 Posts