Talk About Marriage banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
16,578 Posts
The London Marathon has been postponed. Makes sense to me. People travel there in packed trains and buses.
Wouldn't doubt that the next chips to fall in sports cancellations will be golf's The British Open, and tennis' The French Open as well as Wimbledon!

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Maybe the track will be drier? Maybe my chosen nag won't still be running at midnight.

Folks, if you want to know which horse to NOT bet on - just ask which one I'm betting on and bet accordingly. The only time I won any money on the Derby, is the time my husband placed the bet on the wrong horse. Boy, was he embarrassed and I laughed all the way to the bank.
Ask me. My trainer has a Horse that is in the top 25 that may be in it.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Trump assembled a Corona Virus Task Force back in January, when the Democrats were doing nothing but Impeachment. The Democrats and the Republicans need to cut out the crap and work together to help the American people and stop the finger pointing and name calling.
karole, your correct. But those who are looking for someone to blame are quite foolish, but are still trying to point fingers I believe at this stage it truly irevelant. But because of political beliefs will point fingers at others to blame. But if we can forget our political ties/differences maybe we can work together. During this time of crisis.

And to those who don't really should apply their expertise to those in their parties to assist the one currently in power, to get quicker results for the masses.

It amazes me, those who act it's as if there it nothing more important at this time, but political alligences have it's time and place. Now is not the time for alienation, but to empower those who are in power to do and pass and support money to solve this delima we currently face.

But to those who disagree it's ok to believe what you want to believe, but it will not get the cure or resources for the average person to survive. But if they do have the answers contact your political party/ representative to put a fire under then.

This is my view, and no one may agree, now is the time to work together and not to divide or conquer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We've never had this particular virus before, so we can't compare the # it has killed to those of the flu. All we can do is project based on what has happened in other countries

Social distancing was enacted during the Spanish Flu of 1918.

We are not living in the same manner as a society as they were living in 1918.

We live in 2020, and our population has erupted, we have different means of socialization, the economy has changed dramatically and we have made medical advancements that make anything in 1918 totally incomparable to modern times.

Things like this did not happen during “bird flu”, “swine flu” or any of the flu virus that happen in recent years.

Governments are reacting differently towards this than any of the afore mentioned incidents.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

We live in 2020, and our population has erupted, we have different means of socialization, the economy has changed dramatically and we have made medical advancements that make anything in 1918 totally incomparable to modern times.
Sure, a lot has changed since 1918, but the way the 2 illnesses transmit is similar and so is one of our means of checking its spread. That was all I was saying.
Things like this did not happen during “bird flu”, “swine flu” or any of the flu virus that happen in recent years.

Governments are reacting differently towards this than any of the afore mentioned incidents.
Not sure why the difference, but I don't think those had the impact here that the current is expected to.

·
Registered
13,414 Posts
My fellow nurses and I were discussing this yesterday. We're going to be VERY busy 9 months from now because everyone is so busy buying toilet paper that they've forgotten to buy condoms and get their birth control pills refilled.

I'm so tired just thinking of how hard I'm going to be working in the next few weeks...can't think about Nov/Dec yet but that will suck too. Sigh.
Good luck, but you never know. OK, we are beyond making babies, but “it” just ain’t happening for us. We do manage to make it to the bedroom, with reduced frequency, but just can’t get into the right headspace. Very similar to post 9/11 and post her dad dying youngish.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Swine flu was 100x less deadly. Bird flu was very deadly but never spread very far (thank god).

This has a 0.5-3.5% death rate. If we don't stop it a huge number of people are going to die. (so we stop it - but that takes action)

Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sure, a lot has changed since 1918, but the way the 2 illnesses transmit is similar and so is one of our means of checking its spread. That was all I was saying.

Not sure why the difference, but I don't think those had the impact here that the current is expected to.

A similar means of transmission is not relevant really, because with similar issues, they mostly have the same means of transmission. Example HIV. Transmission is primarily through blood, so those that are most likely to contract it do through IV drug usage with “dirty needles”, unprotected sex and passage via an infected mother to a child during birth.

Other things, such as bi-polar, chronic depression, ADHA, Schizophrenia, and ASD are linked generically.

Many others, such as Down’s Syndrome have been linked to genetic alterations through DNA.

Our immune system is a beautiful thing.
Our bodies can be exposed to many things, but a previous mild exposure allows it to create cells so we can fight off a virus so we do not become ill. Immune response.

That is the science behind flu shots. We receive an injection that has a “dead” form of the virus, so that our immune systems can create the antibodies to fight off when we are exposed to the “live” virus. Immune response.

This new virus is different, it originated “apparently” from animals (chickens) that were in un-hygienic environments, and then transmitted into a foreign environment.... people.

There has been a lot of illness and death because it is “new”. It is not the Spanish flu of 1918 or whatever and governments get that and see how it is travelling and are trying to protect people until this can be brought under control.

Just because the transmission is the same does not mean that the genetic makeup of the viruses are the same and it does not mean that the symptoms are the same and that the remedy is the same.

The governments of the world are treating this in a manner that is far more harsh than almost anything in modern times.

There are 3 types of groups, basically, that are paying attention.

1. The group that says it is a load of crap and are laughing at everyone.

2. The group that is overreacting, thus making group 1 laugh.

3. The group that are looking at the science behind it, evaluating governmental response around the globe and then making rational decisions based on that.

It is “new”, we have no “known” protection, countries are quarantining themselves and the global economy is being flushed down the loo. Play it safe. You can either laugh, over react or be rational. Being rational is the smart thing to do right now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good luck, but you never know. OK, we are beyond making babies, but “it” just ain’t happening for us. We do manage to make it to the bedroom, with reduced frequency, but just can’t get into the right headspace. Very similar to post 9/11 and post her dad dying youngish.

What does that mean?

Statistics show that there was an influx of birth after WW2 and after the blackout in the Summer of 2003 when the electrical grid that supports probably more than 50% of North American’s went into the crapper for a few days.

This will probably have the same effect, but on a larger scale due to global factors and population changes and how the governments of the world are pushing us into self-isolation.

People are going to get bored with the same memes on facebook, no new movies out, the same old stuff on Netflix and no NBA, NHL, MLS or concerts and such to go to.

There will be a lot more babies. Human behaviour can tell you that.

Hopefully the hydro stays on so everyone can access the internet. That would be catastrophic.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Sun, Obama declared H1N1 a public health emergency before anyone in the US died. There were only 20 cases. Two days later he requested over 7 Billion dollars in funds to work on it.

6 months later, he declared it a national emergency.

To say that his response was worse, slower, or the same as Trump's is a flat out lie. As recently as a week ago, Trump was down playing this whole thing.
The media response was completely different. Yet this virus is being perceived by the populace (because of the media) as worse even though it is far less deadly. Its fanned the hysteria to mass proportions and an earlier healthy economy will likely end up in a global recession. Hope the media brings comfort to people as they are being laid off.

You don't think Democrats would take advantage of this for political gain do you?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The media response was completely different. Yet this virus is being perceived by the populace (because of the media) as worse even though it is far less deadly. Its fanned the hysteria to mass proportions and an earlier healthy economy will likely end up in a global recession. Hope the media brings comfort to people as they are being laid off.

You don't think Democrats would take advantage of this for political gain do you?

North America had a “head start” on dealing with things.

Look at the impact it had in Asian countries. The Middle East and Europe. Establish how quickly it moved through them, their infection rates and population density and the timing of governmental response. Then compare the same factors to North America.

Facebook and Insurance companies use mathematical stats for a reason. “People you may know” and your insurance rate are algorithms. Statistical facts computed into a risk factor.

·
Registered
16,578 Posts
Understanding from a late night report over at ESPN, that Ron Silver and the NBA may well be reconsidering their plan of starting back up in June!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Several states are enacting shut downs of restaurants, bars and other social gathering places as well as limiting groups that gather to 50 or less.

The response to this virus is scaring me a lot more than the virus itself.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Several states are enacting shut downs of restaurants, bars and other social gathering places as well as limiting groups that gather to 50 or less.

They closed restaurants here for inside dining (pickup, delivery and drive thru still available). I think all this is an overreaction

·
Premium Member
13,132 Posts

When people assault each other and commit armed robberies over toilet paper... yup, humanity's worst sides coming out. More worrisome than the virus itself.

Wish nature was more discriminate in who it decides to kill *sigh*

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
I have spent the last two days enjoying HRTV and watching the ponies from all over the country. Not the same as being at the track, but with my TwinSpires account I can have a little fun.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So, a couple problems with the last few posts.

If it is over-reaction, you will never know. How will you decide if it goes away because it was never a threat, or because we proactively isolated? If the isolation works, then you will just say 'see no big deal, you idiots'. If it doesn't work, or if we don't do it, and it goes bad, people will die.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I am curious how others who are sports fans are coping. I also wonder if the media is not fanning the flames of fear. I refuse to stay isolated. You have to live your life.
How are sports fans "coping?" I was recently in a group conversation about the philosophy. It seems like that is the attitude of our current culture. No matter what happens, everybody has to "live their life." I get that to a degree, but not to the point it throws all common sense out the window. I see nothing wrong with taking precautions and following guidelines. I haven't heard any suggestions that sound crazy to me. Sure, it doesn't seem like things are that bad here now, but the countries who are on lock-down didn't do anything until it got out of hand, and now they are having to play catch-up. Hopefully, if we take these precautions now, it won't get out of hand in the U.S.

I've been in contact with people who are going to lose their mind if they have to step outside their comfort zone a bit before this thing is over. I think that's a big difference in today's culture and the generation during the depression and other tough times in our history. If anybody had to drink tap water instead of bottled water or use newspaper instead of toilet paper during an emergency, I'm sure they would think their life was over.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts