Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have conversations with their spouse regarding all of the things that you want to say, but you never actually tell them? Or is that just me?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
?? Conversation with myself.. sure.

But to bring it up later with spouse & say... "I wanted to say xxx to you when we were fighting last month". Not too much. but sometimes.

Edit:
(But my marriage isn't the best, so don't really read above as "advice" .
Just questioning wether you were talking about saying stuff after a conversation is over... Bringing it up again after you have thought of a good comeback??)

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I did that with an ex.

We slowly imploded. It was bad. Baaad.

Talk to your wife, man. Dang.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Just sit and look at her. Let her storm around you. Just stay calm and let her get it out.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
From experience....it doesn't end well.

Ex "thought" he knew me...he didn't. I always felt unheard...with good reason I think. I did put in a last ditch effort there at the end, my version of a rebuttal speech I think. Too late to be effective tho.

On the other hand... it led me to a new awesome life, with a new awesome man who HEARS me, and pretty much makes me tell him what I need to say. It took awhile to trust him to listen, and to trust myself and "us" to just let it out. It is definitely worth the effort.

Communication is everything. If you can't say what you think, or what you feel... to the one person who is supposed to be closest to you in the whole world.... then wtf are you doing? Ya, I know... been there, done that. Now I know the difference...and it MATTERS!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Yea, I learned that too.

I couldn't talk to my ex about anything. I was always worried about his reaction or being dismissed.

What a crappy existence. That's not a relationship!

My husband listens to me and I knwo I can say anything, no matter what. I like it.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I just wonder if there is anything of redeeming value in this relationship.

Sounds like the hell I was in with my ex. There is a life out here, without always feeling like shet.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I used to. Not so much now. Better to speak up and deal with it than let it fester into resentment or other bad feelings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
gBrad .... Listen to that_girl (she rocks) and talk. I know all about reactions being an absolute pain in the butt however, you truly put yourself in a no-win situation when you stuff it.

Here's the bottom line as I see it. You have to do one of two things:

1. Spit it out and deal with whatever the reaction is. Believe me, I know all about negative reactions - I have gotten SLAMMED multiple times for saying the most innocent things.

2. Let it go (as opposed to stuffing it) and never bring it up. If you stuff it, your opportunity to bring it up is gone. In reality it's not fair to her.

I spent most of my marriage being afraid to talk because I got slammed so often when I shared how I felt (yeah, that sucks - you shouldn't get slammed for saying how you feel). I was honestly afraid of losing the relationship. I've let go of that fear and I have no idea if my marriage will survive but at least I'm saying how I feel and giving her the opportunity to do something different in the future. If the marriage doesn't survive at least she won't be able to say, "Why didn't you tell me???????????"

You owe her this opportunity and the longer you wait and the more you stuff, the worse it gets.

Been there, done that, not doing it anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.