Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've written here before about my husband's control issues. This morning, I thought I was going to come unglued. I bit my tongue...

He was ironing his clothes and I was getting our son ready for school. He started the pancakes for our son and I told him I would get the rest. He first told me that he didn't like the socks I put on our son. Then, He thought the second pair I picked didn't cover his ankle enough (uniform). So I changed it. Then I came down to get the pancake and started cutting it on the cutting board. He walked up and hovered over my shoulder as if he didn't like how I cut it up and said "ahhhh you got that????".

I said YES!

Geez. Isn't that more than normal?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he makes me feel like an idiot..: he thinks the socks I put on our son aren't good enough for unifor.

As for the pancakes... He apologized... But I have no idea how or why that happened.

Next time, " Really" ( do not change the socks ) or " I like these socks" or "what don't you like about them? " . Watching you cut a pancake, seriously ( ? ) -Controlling, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
He sounds a little clingy and smothering, but that's not the same as controlling, in my opinion. This example doesn't strike me as controlling.

Why did you choose to accommodate his egregious requests? He does seem to be trying to dominate the space by making his preferences the dominant ones, but you're not speaking up for yourself. You could have said that you were okay with your son's socks, but if he was interested in changing them, he could have change them himself. Instead, you behaved as if he needed to be pleased immediately and jumped through hoops to change the boy's socks not once but twice. When he hovered about the pancakes, you didn't just offer to step aside and have him do it himself or ask him to stop dictating and give you some space because you had it under control (you could do this gently).

What would happen if you resisted? If you objected or disagreed? If you simply chose not to change based on his mood? Do you guys fight horribly? Does he have a nasty temper? Does he yell at you or get violent or shut down emotionally or manipulate you?

I'm just trying to understand why you are enabling him to dominate you. Are you a people pleaser or is he a bit of a bully, or both?

Reactions: MrsOldNews

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Well he makes me feel like an idiot..: he thinks the socks I put on our son aren't good enough for unifor.
How does he "make" you "feel like an idiot"? Does he put you down or insult you for your choice? Or, are you feeling foolish simply because he has criticized and disagreed with your choice?

Can you please expand on this?

If you're not speaking up about the problem and breeding resentment instead of communicating, then it won't get better. You are in charge of your feelings and you are in charge of expressing what you will and won't tolerate. I think you should read up a little about boundaries and healthy ways to reinforce them, as well as ways to communicate about differences of opinion....maybe that would help a little?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is a ridiculous example, but last night I bathed our son and put him to bed with clean underwear and PJs. This morning my husband was mad because I didn't make sure he had different underwear on. I told him it was fine for today because we woke up late. He shook his head at me as if I was crazy.

How does he "make" you "feel like an idiot"? Does he put you down or insult you for your choice? Or, are you feeling foolish simply because he has criticized and disagreed with your choice?

Can you please expand on this?

If you're not speaking up about the problem and breeding resentment instead of communicating, then it won't get better. You are in charge of your feelings and you are in charge of expressing what you will and won't tolerate. I think you should read up a little about boundaries and healthy ways to reinforce them, as well as ways to communicate about differences of opinion....maybe that would help a little?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
928 Posts
Socks and Pancakes? Im not sure if your husband is controlling but he sounds a little OCD. There are much bigger things to worry about every day. Let your boy decide what to wear to school. My boys wear the lowest socks available. It doesn't mean a thing. Tell him to get a life.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Agree that this sounds more like a touch of OCD than controlling behavior. If so, your H will be aware of his compulsions & will occasionally apologize or try to check himself.

Compassion, patience, and therapy help a lot for OCD, if that's what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But this is him. This is what I deal with ... Day in and day out. And honestly I've become so accustomed to it... It takes a lot for me to realize how crazy it is.

I don't know what to do about it because HE won't change. I know this. It's up to me to learn how to react and deal with it. .

Socks and Pancakes? Im not sure if your husband is controlling but he sounds a little OCD. There are much bigger things to worry about every day. Let your boy decide what to wear to school. My boys wear the lowest socks available. It doesn't mean a thing. Tell him to get a life.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
But this is him. This is what I deal with ... Day in and day out. And honestly I've become so accustomed to it... It takes a lot for me to realize how crazy it is.

I don't know what to do about it because HE won't change. I know this. It's up to me to learn how to react and deal with it. .

Posted via Mobile Device
If he is diagnosed with OCD, though, there is actual therapy out there that can help him with his behavior. It can also help the people who love him learn how to respond to him so that their lives improve.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If he is diagnosed with OCD, though, there is actual therapy out there that can help him with his behavior. It can also help the people who love him learn how to respond to him so that their lives improve.
...might be a little bit of adhd mixed in with this also....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
But was he in therapy for OCD or for being controlling. There's a HUGE difference both in the issue as well as the therapy.

OCD is a really tough disease because many times people just get labeled "neatfreak" "controlling" "perfectionist" when in reality they don't WANT to be that way but can't help themselves. Everyone has SOME kind of OCD in them, with me it's picture frames...I know silly, but I HAVE to straighten them out. If they're crooked, I need to straighten them. I've been in a strangers house at a party and leaned against the wall to fix a picture frame while trying to avoid being seen because of how stupid it is.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
But was he in therapy for OCD or for being controlling. There's a HUGE difference both in the issue as well as the therapy.

OCD is a really tough disease because many times people just get labeled "neatfreak" "controlling" "perfectionist" when in reality they don't WANT to be that way but can't help themselves. Everyone has SOME kind of OCD in them, with me it's picture frames...I know silly, but I HAVE to straighten them out. If they're crooked, I need to straighten them. I've been in a strangers house at a party and leaned against the wall to fix a picture frame while trying to avoid being seen because of how stupid it is.
Agree completely. Also with the intersection of other issues like ADHD that oneMOreguy refers to. These diagnoses are usu. difficult and not straightforward, since they are not definitively understood.

With the magnitude of OCD that needs treatment, though, the behavior rules the person's life to his/her detriment in a material way. And, of course, the loved ones are ruled by it, too, in many ways. There is tremendous frustration and targeted coping on all fronts.

Don't know the degree to which your H is behaving this way - certainly, enough to drive you nuts - but whether it's OCD or not is for a professional to determine. If he won't be diagnosed, perhaps you can seek your own professional help to ease the effects on you. (Sorry if you've already mentioned this in the thread. If so, apologize for missing it.)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
He was ironing his clothes and I was getting our son ready for school. He started the pancakes for our son and I told him I would get the rest. He first told me that he didn't like the socks I put on our son. Then, He thought the second pair I picked didn't cover his ankle enough (uniform). So I changed it. Then I came down to get the pancake and started cutting it on the cutting board. He walked up and hovered over my shoulder as if he didn't like how I cut it up and said "ahhhh you got that????".
Posted via Mobile Device
Doesn't sound controlling to me but it sure does sound annoying

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I wouldn't change a thing. If he has a problem with how I did something, I'd tell him flatly...'YOU are more than welcome to change it. I think it's fine', and then go about my business.

The pancake thing? 'You want to do it? Here you go'... (knife gets placed down on the cutting board and I float away to make myself a cup of coffee and sit down)

He sounds like he doesn't have enough to do, so I would help him with that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Being criticized about cutting pancakes? I'd feel like an idiot too! Sometimes my boyfriend makes me feel like a total dumbbell but there are things I'm better at than he is, so when he makes ME feel like an idiot, I just wait for my chance. Then I nod, smile, raise an eyebrow and go "REVENGE AT LAST" inside.

Advice? "Don't like the socks? Change them. By the way your shirt looks like ****, so change that too."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.