Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
So, does anyone have anything on the psychology of it or those who reject it?

The conspiracies that childhood vaccines cause autism or that vaccines in general are toxic such that the risk of being vaccinated outweighs any benefits.

Both are baseless claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Considering most people don’t know it exists;
Vaccine injury compensation fund: Total compensation paid over the life of the program is approximately $4.2 billion.
That’s a lot of money taxpayers are on the hook for.
So where's the conspiracy?

This information is freely available on the CDC website. It is not hidden. It is peanuts compared to the cost in lives and illness to the alternative.

Perhaps you never met anyone with polio. My uncle had it, spent significant time in an iron lung, and never walked pain free in his life thereafter.

If there's a conspiracy here, they're doing a **** job of covering it up.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So where's the conspiracy?

This information is freely available on the CDC website. It is not hidden. It is peanuts compared to the cost in lives and illness to the alternative.

Perhaps you never met anyone with polio. My uncle had it, spent significant time in an iron lung, and never walked pain free in his life thereafter.

If there's a conspiracy here, they're doing a **** job of covering it up.
The second conspiracy "theory" mentioned was vaccines.

I just posted some data, which despite main propaganda, shows there is some validity to the "theory."

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
The second conspiracy "theory" mentioned was vaccines.

I just posted some data, which despite main propaganda, shows there is some validity to the "theory."
Not to be too obtuse, but I still don't see the conspiracy. No one at the CDC ever said that vaccines were 100% effective nor 100% safe, only that they are much better than having no vaccines - which is undeniably true. The only conspiracy in this case was that damned British doctor who fabricated evidence that vaccines caused autism. So I guess I'm not sure to which theory you're referring. I don't know of any theory about vaccines that is not either fully and publicly disclosed or just as thoroughly debunked.

I mean, it's not like we're talking shooter on the grassy knoll here.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Not to be too obtuse, but I still don't see the conspiracy. No one at the CDC ever said that vaccines were 100% effective nor 100% safe, only that they are much better than having no vaccines - which is undeniably true. The only conspiracy in this case was that damned British doctor who fabricated evidence that vaccines caused autism. So I guess I'm not sure to which theory you're referring. I don't know of any theory about vaccines that is not either fully and publicly disclosed or just as thoroughly debunked.

I mean, it's not like we're talking shooter on the grassy knoll here.

X-Rays come at a higher risk than do vaccines, so one wonders if the conspiracy theorists would like to add that to their list.

I agree, there is no conspiracy here and look at the issues happening in American Samoa due to anti-vaxers propaganda.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Trump embodies many of the conspiracies you listed earlier and even more.

If he were at slightly curious about serious issues both domestic and foreign I could tolerate his bombastic tone. But the man is our “crazy uncle” spewing conspiracy after conspiracy and also telling us how great he is. I don’t care how great he is, I would rather he demonstrate how he will work for all Americans (not just those who voted for him).

Strong economy and low unemployment for all Americans....not just those who voted for him.

Pretty sure he has demonstrated this.

Anyone who denies this likely has a psychological disorder not yet classified...hmm, let's see...how about we call it TDS?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Trump embodies many of the conspiracies you listed earlier and even more.

If he were at slightly curious about serious issues both domestic and foreign I could tolerate his bombastic tone. But the man is our “crazy uncle” spewing conspiracy after conspiracy and also telling us how great he is. I don’t care how great he is, I would rather he demonstrate how he will work for all Americans (not just those who voted for him).

How can you possibly say trump doesn't work for ALL Americans? Do you not see the record low unemployment, best in over 50 years? Do you not think the USMCA is a good idea, which would bring more jobs to Mexico, our neighbor, instead of COMMUNIST CHINA? Do you not understand if we have less ILLEGAL immigration, over time, the pay for unskilled labor will improve? Do you not believe in putting AMERICA first before we use OUR TAX DOLLARS to go to other corrupt countries? Personally, I hope we stop all money going to other countries all together. Do you not believe DJT loves America? Trump was wealthy before getting into politics. Most other politicians were broke and became rich while being in politics. Where did their money come from? what about the 14 amendment? Should that be abolished? I can go on....

Trump isn't the "crazy uncle" that would be Uncle Joe who enjoys sniffing women's hair and little kids touching his hairy legs and sitting on his lap.

Our Political system is corrupt. The SWAMP! Republicans and Democrats alike. DJT has to fight them all. Trump will drain the swamp

oh... BTW, Epstein didn't kill himself.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How can you possibly say trump doesn't work for ALL Americans? Do you not see the record low unemployment, best in over 50 years? Do you not think the USMCA is a good idea, which would bring more jobs to Mexico, our neighbor, instead of COMMUNIST CHINA? Do you not understand if we have less ILLEGAL immigration, over time, the pay for unskilled labor will improve? Do you not believe in putting AMERICA first before we use OUR TAX DOLLARS to go to other corrupt countries? Personally, I hope we stop all money going to other countries all together. Do you not believe DJT loves America? Trump was wealthy before getting into politics. Most other politicians were broke and became rich while being in politics. Where did their money come from? what about the 14 amendment? Should that be abolished? I can go on....

Trump isn't the "crazy uncle" that would be Uncle Joe who enjoys sniffing women's hair and little kids touching his hairy legs and sitting on his lap.

Our Political system is corrupt. The SWAMP! Republicans and Democrats alike. DJT has to fight them all. Trump will drain the swamp

oh... BTW, Epstein didn't kill himself.
https://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/05/donald-trump-and-bill-clinton-chatted-by-phone-before-trump-announced-candidacy/

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I suspect there is a reasonable chance that one will be true. My thinking is swayed by the Hillsborough disaster, which was shown on TV and involved many spectators being crushed to death. Following the disaster, The Sun in co-operation with the Government and polics published that what was on TV did not happen and instead it was completely different. I thought this was a conspiracy, but most who believe in climate change being a hoax held with the version published in The Sun.

It also seems to be associated with being male and politically with right wing populism. She mentions the function of blaming a few bad apples, which fits with there being a natural proper way to the world and it is those conspriacy people who are ruining it. System justification does explain why it is associated with the right.
I remember watching OKC federal building incident on live tv.
The official version later was totally different much like your Hillsborough mention.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Anyone else catch the last Frontline on Alex Jones? There was nothing new there for anyone who has been following him for a while now, but it laid out the road he paved to his own ruination.

But his audience. The number of people who take him seriously! I remember the good ol' days of the internet where the conspiracists were confined to the dark corners of the web and got laughed out of polite society. Now it's all gone mainstream.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
So, does anyone have anything on the psychology of it or those who reject it?
It's really interesting, isn't it? (I mean apart from any specific example and whether it's true or false or partly true.....)

I guess some people feel that there "must be" someone who's in control of everything; that things "just can't" be random. So they either become religious, or they believe in some secret conspiracy of those who are keeping the truth from the rest of us. In a way it's a comforting belief that someone out there actually has a plan.

Plus, also, they often don't have a well-developed way of evaluating whether something makes sense, even on its own terms. I remember Joe Rogan talking about how the moon landing was faked (he's since changed his public position on that, and I am not sure he was ever sincere about it), and the question he would never address was "so how many people are in on it?" (Plus I guess also "how come the russians didn't expose it?"). People who go for this kind of stuff instead focus on some tiny detail, like it looks like there's something wrong with this one photograph or something, and just pretend not to hear those two bigger questions. In this respect it seems like it could be related to problems of intrusive thoughts.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Plus, also, they often don't have a well-developed way of evaluating whether something makes sense, even on its own terms.
Yes. You can watch this playing out daily in our own forums on the Corona virus. People who through some combination of personality, upbringing, education, and exposure have a poorly calibrated B.S. detector when it comes to evidence.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes. You can watch this playing out daily in our own forums on the Corona virus. People who through some combination of personality, upbringing, education, and exposure have a poorly calibrated B.S. detector when it comes to evidence.
I don't care for the implication of your comment here.

I guess, please forgive those of us with "faulty BS detectors" (although, mine is going off pretty well after reading YOUR post, so maybe it's NOT actually faulty??)...that we don't recognize how far above our own intelligence YOUR awesomeness resides...!!!

I DO appreciate you explaining my "shortcomings" through your ever-present ELITIST view, instead of believing that people like me could actually disagree with you AND have access to the same levels of intelligence (and working BS detectors)...Lol!!!

I guess this is YOUR BIAS stopping you from seeing me as an equal, yet different-thinking human being...?? Or is it just gross condescension...??

Just don't despise yourself for thinking exactly like those YOU despise...

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I don't care for the implication of your comment here.

I guess, please forgive those of us with "faulty BS detectors" (although, mine is going off pretty well after reading YOUR post, so maybe it's NOT actually faulty??)...that we don't recognize how far above our own intelligence YOUR awesomeness resides...!!!

I DO appreciate you explaining my "shortcomings" through your ever-present ELITIST view, instead of believing that people like me could actually disagree with you AND have access to the same levels of intelligence (and working BS detectors)...Lol!!!

I guess this is YOUR BIAS stopping you from seeing me as an equal, yet different-thinking human being...?? Or is it just gross condescension...??

Just don't despise yourself for thinking exactly like those YOU despise...
Never once did I think of you when I wrote that post. Nor most of the fine people here. But I won't take it back, and I won't name names, because it is also manifestly true. I can't say more without being offensive to any particular member here, which is against the forum rules. But I am not wrong.

Let's put it this way. If you ever listened to an Alex Jones broadcast and thought "Hey, there's something to this", your BS detector is broken.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Never once did I think of you when I wrote that post. Nor most of the fine people here. But I won't take it back, and I won't name names, because it is also manifestly true. I can't say more without being offensive to any particular member here, which is against the forum rules. But I am not wrong.

Let's put it this way. If you ever listened to an Alex Jones broadcast and thought "Hey, there's something to this", your BS detector is broken.
Ok, I'll cautiously accept your explanation, because as someone who disagrees with almost EVERY political stance you post (and yet I still believe YOU are intelligent), I definitely FIT into what you said, whether it was intended for ME or not.

AND...can you not hear how biased, condescending, and smug what you wrote sounds...? You are judging other people (who ARE smart too!) in a way that you call THEM out for judging you and others...you lose credibility for that with people who might be trying to listen to you as someone with an opinion worth hearing, whether agreed with or not.

And the people who BELIEVE Alex Jones (I don't) (I'm not sure who he is), think YOUR BS detector is broken, and THEY are just as right FOR THEM as you are for you...

21 - 40 of 66 Posts