Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am having mixed feelings and I just need to know if I am being selfish or should I be there more for my husband.
To let you know a little, my husband and I have been married for 3 years now. I have 2 kids 19 and 16 he has 3 kids 19,18 and 16. My kids father is not in their lives but my step kids have their mother.
Okay... so about 8 months ago we decided the kids are getting older and he doesn't have a wonderful relationship with his which is another story, but w decided lets move out of state where we always have wanted to go.
We made this decision together, spoke to all the kids, they can come or stay etc. I got a job out of state 3 months later, which they are wonderful because they are letting me work from home until we move in December.
Just last month we bought our first home together where my new job is. I was so happy, I have never owned my own home before and we are now going to start somewhere new and fresh.
When he went to put his notice in at his job his boss offered him a wonderful amount of money and his CPA training which he has been wanting. (his boss could of offered this before as he has knows for 5 years now) He offered it now though since my husband works his ass off for this man. Now my husband wants to take it. I would have to go back in forth out of state to work on the home, and train someone to work my job before I leave. I feel bad to quit my new job as they have been wonderful working with me until we move out there. I will have to now make my new home that I feel like I cant be happy about anymore an Airbnb or a rental.
Yes we will be making a lot more money and my husband gets his dream, but why cant I feel happy for him? I just want to leave and take my 16 year old as my 19 year old has her own apartment with college. I am trying to be positive but I feel like I cry more than anything (and I am not a cryer) I just want to be happy.
What are your feelings?? or thoughts?? I just need some advise.

The confused one

·
Registered
46 Posts
How far away is "out of state." For me it's ten minutes. Are you talking about scores of miles or hundreds? Has your husband looked for a job in the new location?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
The reason you both decided to move was because you wanted to live somewhere you always wanted to live and have a fresh start.

That hasn't changed. Just his current job conditions changed. They don't want him to go, and offered him a sweet deal.

He chose the deal over his plans and commitment to you.

Since you are self supporting and already have a job and purchased a home, you should go....with or without him.

If you stay you will resent him.

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from. I'm not self supporting, so I have to go where my husband wants to go instead of going where I feel I need to go, in order to heal from the crap I've had to go through for the last 10 years with him. If I were self supporting, I'd go where I want to go, tell him to go where he wants to go (...maybe "to hell") and take it one month at a time. Eventually, if I wasn't ready to move where he is, or he didn't move to where I am, I'd file for divorce, if he didn't first.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
his boss offered him a wonderful amount of money and his CPA training which he has been wanting. (his boss could of offered this before as he has knows for 5 years now)

uuuummmmm......... setting up everything based on a man who didn't provide this to him before ..... risky ...

The boss may just as well change his mind again now that he has your husband nailed back down.

I've been in the same situation a couple times ...... I always left.

I gave the old company long and fair warning of what I wanted ....they had enough time

I told the new place I was going..so I went. I keep my word.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why can't your husband work remote? Our company's accountant works remote and travels in to the office several times a year. It works pretty well.

Why is your husbands dream more important than yours? Seems like you've had the rug pulled out from underneath you. Everything has been planned, and you bought a new home. If his current employer is offering him a lot to stay, then it's reasonable to believe he could find similar employment in CO. I still think he should talk to his boss about working remote. People do it all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, I asked him this yesterday as my brother even mentioned it. He hasn't even asked. He just states that it wont work as it will be too stressful and he wont be able to fix everything and problems etc.
So he wont ask and he told me he wants to take the offer and this should be happening tomorrow. I think if he just asked it would have made me feel better.

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Did he actually accept the job yet? I get that he wants this opportunity, but to go against all the planning that has been done... including the purchase of a new home!... I feel is selfish and wrong. If he takes the job, you should still make your move. Why does he feel that what he wants counts more than what you want? More than what you agreed to, planned, and are in the middle of implementing?? What terrible situation he has put you in.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Hello, I asked him this yesterday as my brother even mentioned it. He hasn't even asked. He just states that it wont work as it will be too stressful and he wont be able to fix everything and problems etc.
So he wont ask and he told me he wants to take the offer and this should be happening tomorrow. I think if he just asked it would have made me feel better.
Your husband is extremely conflict avoidant. If he hadn’t given his notice to quit his boss would never have offered him a raise or training. Now he’s afraid to even ask about working remotely because it will upset his boss.
Notice he has no compunction about upsetting you?
There’s an unwritten rule in business that goes along the lines of if you have a good man doing a good job then leave him doing it. This is what his boss was doing until he realized he was about to lose his work horse. Now just you wait and see how much extra work he will have to do to justify both the raise and the offer of training.
You touched on the subject of his poor relationship with his children, is this another case of him not wanting to man up?
I think you should move, with or without him.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
his boss offered him a wonderful amount of money and his cpa training which he has been wanting. (his boss could of offered this before as he has knows for 5 years now)

uuuummmmm......... Setting up everything based on a man who didn't provide this to him before ..... Risky ...

The boss may just as well change his mind again now that he has your husband nailed back down.

I've been in the same situation a couple times ...... I always left.

I gave the old company long and fair warning of what i wanted ....they had enough time

i told the new place i was going..so i went. I keep my word.
^^^^^^^ this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your feed back. Yep he took the job today and as he was walking out he asked me, Are you doing okay?
Serious... I just said please dont ask me that any more.

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Thank you for your feed back. Yep he took the job today and as he was walking out he asked me, Are you doing okay?
Serious... I just said please dont ask me that any more.
So, now what?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts