Talk About Marriage banner

Confused, hurt and scared

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  SunCMars 
#1 ·
My marriage is in shambles. My husband has cheated on me and has been wanting us to break up because he wants to single, date other people and do things without having to be accountable to anyone. He’s been distant, sometimes mean to me and angry. He’s still active on dating sites. Yes, I know a lot of people would say that I should let him go.
Deep in my heart, I can’t because I love him too much. I know that he has his demons but deep down inside, he has a good heart and that is the reason why I want to stay with him and fix this. He is my first serious boyfriend and has been with him for 5 years. Our 3rd wedding anniversary is coming up. I agreed to give him a 2 month hall pass but I don’t know how it will work out for us. I need some support and advice. My mind says leave but my heart and my faith says stay with him. I tried the 180 but I cannot stop telling and showing my husband that I love him. It is not in my nature.

#7 ·
I have been seeing one. I have also been taking care of myself by meditating, praying, exercising and all that. It is difficult especially for me because my family and friends are in my home country. I realize now that I am codependent in him. However, that does not change the fact that I stand by my vows to God and that I love him.

#4 ·
agreed to give him a 2 month hall pass
Terrible move.

My mind says leave but my heart and my faith says stay with him

You're letting your emotions overrule your rational thinking. Change your nature. Dump him. You know what needs to be done.

This relationship is already over. He will never change into the husband that you want. Set yourself free. You'll be happy in a year or so looking back. Squeeze him in the divorce. You have the upper hand.

#9 ·
deep down inside, he has a good heart and that is the reason why I want to stay with him and fix this.

...I agreed to give him a 2 month hall pass
He's a lying adulterer. They don't have good hearts, they have selfish hearts.

Why on earth would you agree to a hall pass???

However, that does not change the fact that I stand by my vows to God and that I love him.
That's just an excuse, you don't want to leave so you say it's religious. You didn't make any vows to God (who doesn't exist btw), you made them to your husband, but they're no longer there because HE broke them.

Where is your self respect?

#10 ·
I’ll give you this advice, learn to love yourself, because frankly, you don’t.

Ask yourself in all honesty, why do you love him and don’t make excuses. Don’t say he has a good heart when he is on dating sites and cheating. He does not have a good heart. He says mean things to you, again, he doesn’t have a good heart.

People who love themselves don’t accept this type of behavior or pain in their lives. And what exactly is a two-month hall pass, permission for him to be unfaithful to you? Loving yourself leads to respect for yourself, respect for yourself leads to confidence and confident people would not put up with one ounce of this bullsh*t. I commend you for your faith and your desire to make marriage work, but what you’re doing according to your post is self-destructive.

#12 ·
A 2 month hall pass - WTF are you doing! Please stop.

My friend, I am sorry to say this but you are projecting. No good person cheats twice and wants to date while they are married at least not while they are doing it.

You can't love someone enough that they love you, it just doesn't work that way.

Besides this guy is not good for you he is toxic.

You need to be honest with yourself. This is your first serious boyfriend so maybe you don't know any better, but believe me you can do better, and everyone on here is going to say better, if you go on reedit everyone there will say it too. You don't have any frame of reference to know that maybe but honestly you will be better off alone then with this asshole.

What faith are you talking about that makes you want to stay?

Bottom line never love someone enough to allow them to abuse you.

You are wasting your life.

The problem is not your nature it's his. You can do better.

#16 ·
Even God permits divorce for adultery. Learn to love yourself. He will lose any respect he has left for you if you give him a "hall pass." You can't kiss his butt and think it will make him be nice. It never works. Ever.

Please, start reading Chump Lady. Start at that link and read the whole site. Also, keep posting/reading here. Lots of good people who will try to help you.

#21 ·
you are only married for a 3 years and he is pulling this ****! Please do yourself a big favour and get rid of this good for nothing jerk. If he is doing this at this stage in your life, he will be doing it again at 10, 15 20 years down the road. You can do way better.
I know you love him, want to cling on to him, etc but get your self-respect girl and go scorched earth on his ass.
Get your ducks in a row,

Start doing a hard 180 on him, no contact, no crying weeping, no begging, nothing. Act as if you believe every word he says and you are moving on. This is to help you detach. You must do this. He is not lovable right now. This may sound counter intuitive but if you show strength now and refuse to be a doormat there is a better chance of saving the marriage. No hall passes. Tell him if he wants a break you are moving to divorce immediately.
Go see a lawyer, get the divorce papers and give them to him. He wants to go out and do a trial run and still have you as the back up plan. You are worth more than this, please please do not do this.
Tell all your families and friends about what is happening, expose, expose, expose his behavior, do NOT cover for him
See a counsellor or therapist to help you get through this mess
Get support from a close sibling or girlfriend.
Go and get STD tested, the SOB has cheated and he could have passed something nasty to you (let him know you are doing this)
Do not give him any hall passes cause if you do, it is sending the message that he can treat you any way he wants and you will be the willing door mat, hell no! If he comes back, it will only be worse the next time around, and there will be a next time.
Play your cards right now.

#23 ·
Nothing will change until you change. People will behave as badly as you let them, and your complete inability / unwillingness to set and maintain boundaries is perpetuating this hell that you’re in. You’re either willing to take strong action to improve your situation, or you’re not. If you’re ready to start acting in your best interest, people here can guide you. If not, good luck but most folks won’t be interested in commiserating with you while you do nothing to improve your situation.

#24 ·
My marriage is in shambles. My husband has cheated on me and has been wanting us to break up because he wants to single, date other people and do things without having to be accountable to anyone. He’s been distant, sometimes mean to me and angry. He’s still active on dating sites. Yes, I know a lot of people would say that I should let him go.
It's not that a lot of people would say that you should let him go. He's telling you HIMSELF that he wants to break up / divorce and be single. Re-read that last sentence for good measure. He's distant, sometimes mean to you and angry and active on dating sites.

You have no control over his actions.

You do have choice in how you proceed though.

I realize it must painfully sting, however, for your own benefit you need to face the reality. It doesn't matter whether you still perceive that you love him - he wants out - plain and simple. So one path could be for you to hold your head high and start looking out for yourself and facing the reality of the situation. Even if your family and friends are located elsewhere, you can still reach out to them for support and guidance. You need to decide what you need to do for you now, without consideration to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.