Talk About Marriage banner

Cohabitating while separated

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sad&confusedlady 
#1 · (Edited)
My husband and I are going through a very rough patch. We’ve together for almost 5 years and married for 3. It has not been an easy marriage because he has been active in dating sites. I found out that he has been cheating on me for over a year. Despite all this, I was willing to work with him and stay together. After a few weeks, nothing was changing. He was still active on dating sites. Now we are at point that he does not want to work on the marriage anymore and wants us to separate.

However, because we are financially unstable, we need to stay together until we both save enough money and go our separate ways. We both own a condo together. That being said, how do I act around him being that we are essentially not husband and wife anymore? He still kisses me and says I love you to me which makes it confusing. He says he still wants us to be friends and asks me to hang out with him. I am confused and I feel like I am being led on.

#2 ·
My husband and I are going through a very rough patch. We’ve together for almost 5 years and married for 3. It has not been an easy marriage because he has been active in dating sites. I found out that he has bedn cheating on me for over a year. Despite all this, I was willing to work with him and stay together. After a few weeks, nothing was changing. He was still active on dating sites. Now we are at point that he does not want to work on the marriage anymore and wants us to separate.

However, because we are financially unstable, we need to stay together until we both save enough money and go our separate ways. We both own a condo together. That being said, how do I act around him being that we are essentially not husband and wife anymore? He still kisses me and says I love you too me which makes it confusing. He says he still wants us to be friends and asks me to hang out with him. I am confused and I fee like I am being led on.
My advise is to sell the condo and separate. Even if you have to rent for now or stay with family. It's far better than him acting as if he cares when he doesn't. I know several.people who tried this in house separation and it doesn't work.

#3 ·
Your first real challenge is realising and accepting that he is a lying, cheating creep! Once you get that, you will know exactly what to do. Dump him, sell the condo and do not engage with him for ANYTHING.

#5 ·
You need to force the issue quickly. Finances be damned. The longer you wait for "stability" the worse off you will be. File for divorce and force the sale of the condo. Move in with parents or friends if you have to, but the environment at "home" is terribly unhealthy. You are learning how to live with huge disrespect and that will carry on into future relationships. Get. Out. Now.

#15 ·
He has the best of both worlds. You have to sell the condo & move on. It's the only way.

I do not know the law where you live but in many states in order to even file for divorce the parties have to prove that they lived separate & apart for some period of time, in some places that can be as long as 1.5 years so even if you filed for divorce tomorrow, the court could not even hear your case until 1.5 years after you moved.

The longer you stay in the same house the worse this will be for you. The housing market is hot right now in the 'burbs so you may be able to get top dollar. But if you are trying to sell in a high density area that people are fleeing, you may be stuck with a white elephant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.