Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
If this is one of your biggest clients, I would think it was tacky. If they're happy with your work, they'll recommend you to others as appropriate. A 'gift' of a t-shirt with your branding though (regardless if it was for her or for her husband/both), I wouldn't think highly of and if I were to wear it, it'd be while doing yard work or something (if it was worn at all). If you really value their business, best thing you can offer is something that would be useful to their business, or simply an unexpected 'thanks for your support' package which could include something subtle with your branding on it - such as just the ribbon it's wrapped with. That's more likely to capture my attention than feeling like I'm potentially a big client for this business - and yet they gave me (or us, it doesn't matter) a branded t-shirt. It wouldn't be something of value to me, and if anything, would be a negative. I'd rather receive nothing at all, than that.

Reactions: Affaircare

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
By the way, a little token that goes out with their orders I'd have no problem with.

Edited to add: it's always a classy move to include others who are part of that business, whether you speak with them or not. In the context of being an employee, I still remember when a supplier dropped in to thank us for our business and had a large box of chocolates for each member of my team. Even though he had predominantly interacted with me, the acknowledgement that we're a team effort was classy. Plus.. ya know.. chocolate.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I always ordered gifts that were monogrammed with my husbands clients initials on them.
Silver boxes, perpetual calendars and more professional desk items.
I would keep a list each time of what we had given them so as not to repeat any item over the many years gifts were sent.
This is about making the customer feel appreciated - not about having your logo seen more often.
It’s a way to say thank you for their business and can be done for under $100. It has been part of keeping the same customers for more than 40 years.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
It can be part of a larger gift. He should be included.

Reactions: Shutterbug2244

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always ordered gifts that were monogrammed with my husbands clients initials on them.
Silver boxes, perpetual calendars and more professional desk items.
I would keep a list each time of what we had given them so as not to repeat any item over the many years gifts were sent.
This is about making the customer feel appreciated - not about having your logo seen more often.
It’s a way to say thank you for their business and can be done for under $100. It has been part of keeping the same customers for more than 40 years.
I love those ideas! I’ve tried to explain this to him and given your ideas and your great point of not making it about our own brand but them. Luckily we haven’t acted on his idea but that’s what business is I guess is learning and evolving.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Business swag is throw away stuff (even when it's expensive like a shirt vs a pen). It's no more meaningful than the beer t-shirts I have been given in bars over the years. I suppose it would be nicer, especially if you are trying to foster the relationship, to ask what size her husband wears & give her 2 shirts: one for her & one for him. Presumably you have these around & didn't have them made for this customer which would be very inappropriate

As a spouse if my husband got something with another company's logo I would not assume that the woman who gave it to him was hitting on him. I would be upset if he wore somebody else's logo to work in our company but wouldn't care that he wore it out & about. That said I do use other people's pens, letter openers & stickie notes in my business.

Yesterday I was visiting a competitor & did her a favor. We're friends. She wanted to take me out to dinner say thank you but it was DH's birthday so I couldn't. She gives out lip balm with her logo & it's awesome. Seriously it's like the best lip balm.:cool: I'm practically obsessed so I swiped one out of the basket on the front desk & thanked her for my payment. She laughed.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I guess he should send them both a T-shirt but even he only sends one shirt for the wife, I doubt the husband would misconstrue that as some sort flirting with his wife.

I always felt that those company logo shirts are only good for fostering your team spirit at company events but are not something clients are going to wear around. Even if it’s a high quality shirt, it will end up being used for doing stuff around the house. Mowing the grass, cleaning the gutters, etc. I would not wear it out for an outing, like going to the park or the mall.

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
So, @Shutterbug2244, you've been down this road before--you agree and acknowledge you have some insecurity but also your husband has made googoo eyes at this specific client gefore. Now I get it, she is one of the best, if not your very best, client, and she has a vivacious personality, etc. etc. but clearly he wants to go "above and beyond" giving her gifts and giving her more than he does to other clients. In other words, if it were just "yet another client" he'd give her exactly the same gifts as he gives another other client and not be all smiley and singing to himself and hoping she comes by to pick up the presents.

So nope, it's not you being crazy or seeing things. This person should be treated 100% exactly the same as every other client on the planet. If you don't give out t-shirts with your logo on them to everyone else, ya shouldn't give one to her and thus you wouldn't need to give one to her husband either. Honestly, your husband has a little crush on her and is trying to stroke his own ego with this behavior, and it's unbecoming.

Finally, as a person who owned a successful business who had restaurants and very fancy hotels as clients, if we received a t-shirt with a restaurant logo on it "as a gift" or a hotel's logo "as a thank you" it wasn't that it wasn't appreciated, but in reality I used that shirt to garden or to work out. It's not like I wore the shirt and thought fondly about it as a gift and then thought about the person who gave it to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@Affaircare Yea I agree company shirts are only going to be used for yard work or pajamas etc.
I’m looking more towards the meaning behind the gift. My husband has always been faithful and loving but there’s still a part of him that enjoys attention or praise from the opposite sex and I believe that’s what he’s seeking. Just another way to boost his ego while maintaining his innocence and not necessarily seeking to spend time with this person if that makes sense. He hasn’t emailed her, messaged her or texted her or even looked her up since I have access to his phone.
I explained if it’s a husband and wife running a business you gift them both something and it looks more thoughtful even if it is something he may never wear or she may never wear it’s the thought.
He couldn’t argue with that and has since stopped bringing it up at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts