Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the site because there have to be several threads about my question....but I didn't find one.

How does one go about selecting a therapist/counselor?

And I have been referred to those who are LMFTs and those who are Licensed Clinical Social Workers.

Is there a preference?

I have a benefit through my employer that allows 6 visits and at $100/$120 per hour, I don't want to waste any of them on a counselor or therapist that isn't right.

Thoughts/recommendations? I am separated from my wife of 26 years...hoping to reconcile but need to be ready for either outcome.

And we are not in the same area now...I am in the Mid-Atlantic and she's in FL...I moved out and here in June.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Conrad...

So, I guess the answer is hit or miss...

How would one know if he's to be challenged until he's challenged?

And at the same rates I charge for tax work seems to be quite the dice roll...at least in the end, I hand over a completed tax return that can be reviewed for accuracy and completeness based on established rules and laws. Can't say that for a therapist.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are all kids of certifications and just as many therapists/counselors. I suggest finding one that has lots of experience, and the more certifications, the better, i.e., marriage and family therapist is nice, but if they are also a professionally trained Sexologist, in addition to their LMFT , et al., then so much the better.

Here's a friend of mine's link. I think she covers all the bases:

Sexologist - Melissa Jones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.