Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies, I know this isn't about a man lol, but its a relationship that I have had difficulty with for a loooong time. (I noticed my posts are always long, I'll TRY to keep this condensed but can't promise haha)

I've known this friend since I was in the 5th grade! She is 3 years older, and we were VERY close as teens. My mom never liked her, and said she always got a bad vibe from her, but we remained friends. She has always called me her "best friend" and gets extremely jealous when others call me that too. Has always been very possessive of me.

The first time I cut her off was 3 years ago. I was getting to know a guy at that time. I saw him in the parking lot, and I was on the phone with her, so I asked her if I could call her later. She sent me an email some time later saying:

"Why the hell do you not answer my phone calls? You have time for boys like "O" and the damn "insert ethnicity" guy but you seem to not have time for your best friend to just say hi. What a true friend you are!"

I replied with "wtf", followed by, "I was working/studying all day yesterday" She answers with "first of all, dont curse at me! in fact, im very chill...second of all, no Azure , you always make an excuse and this time im not letting it go"

I replied telling her all the things I am busy with followed by " I cannot devote myself to anyone. If you cant understand that and be considerate then Im sorry."

Anyway, I cut her out for three months, and then somehow we resumed our friendship. She knew I was upset, and she knew why.

Okay so most recently, I had a picture of myself and a friend as my profile pic on FB, and she expressed her jealousy! Then, after I separated from my STBXH my car broke down. She kept calling asking me when we can hang out, and I would tell her I'm sorry I have no transportation. She lives 15 minutes away from me, but has always (since she started driving, and I still couldnt drive) complained about how it costs her gas $$ to come see me (blows my mind really, I hate cheap people, esp when you're cheap with the people you claim to love) She started texting me DAILY asking "When are you gonna get a car?" Which ticked me offfff.

Anyway she finally came to see me on a weekend when I had the flu, bringing soup with her. She asked me for something, I said I'll go grab it, and she insists on coming inside with me! and I equally resist and ask her to stay in the living room. Then she went to use the bathroom, which was clean but not spotless, comes out and says "why don't you clean around here Azure?" REALLY! ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME! GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY HOME!
I should have said something but just said "well clearly I am sick, can't be cleaning now can I"

The STRAW that broke the camels back was when I posted a status on FB saying how I was floored by some friends' generosity and kindness and how grateful I am for what they did.

She calls to chit chat, then says "So who's this friend you posted about? Has someone been coming to see you everyday?" I sensed that it wasn't an innocent question, and it was laced with jealousy, so I was like no, its really none of your concern. She's like "It was a guy wasn't it!" WOW, at this point I simply said, No, I'm still married! and a few other things. She's like well I just called to check up on you and you're being weird so bye!

So, I've decided that I cannot deal with her anymore. I am not even myself when around her and don't share exciting things in my life with her because I never sense that she's happy for me so I simply don't tell her anything, and it's usually her that does the talking. I constantly sense her jealousy and it creeps me out. She's been around for so long, and we run in the same circles, so I really don't know how to cut her out! I'd like to email her explaining to her why I am not going to hang out with her anymore. If I don't, she will find a way back into my life. Is this a good idea? How should I go about it? HELP!

·
Administrator
45,100 Posts
Not sure that emailing her is a good idea. She will not get anything you say and will just think you are being weird.

Why not just stop answering her phone calls, txt and just be very busy?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It sounds like she has some serious mental health issues. If I were you I would inform her personally in person, preferably in a public place, about about your intention to sever the relationship, follow up with a notarized letter from an attorney, obtain in advance anti-stalking forms from the courthouse, and also let the local police know about the situation as an FYI. Then, watch your back for a while. If you're lucky she will try to call you or leave messages, you can go to the court and you can get a restraining order, if she persists she will be arrested. It sounds like this is really for the best. Because of the length of time you've known each other it sounds like her boundaries are really poor. Even if she has mental health issues, this will be for the best. If she is arrested for violating a restraining order (given that you get one) she will be forced to accept or seek mental health services. You'll be doing her a favor, it seems that she hasn't had anyone in her life to show her about boundaries and allowing people to have normal freedoms in their relationships.

I've had to do this with family, also some woman that my ex-H knew. Who was nuts, other people had complained about her, when i called the police they knew exactly who I was calling about. :-o

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with telling her how you feel in person or don't say it all. I understand how you feel, but you've known her for so long that I think she deserves to hear what went wrong, and you deserve to be able get it off your chest (in a non confrontational manner)

How old is she? She also sounds a bit immature.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elegirl, I did that throughout college. We went to different schools. I stopped picking up/answering her texts, but she persists!

Homemaker, I really am starting to think she has mental issues. From what she tells me about her mom, it sounds that her mom is bipolar. I'm not sure if she is as well, but I can tell that she's not healthy at all. I don't think I can take such drastic measures. I can't even cut her off lol, let alone file a restraining order and all that. I'm just too much of a softie. I'd rather just cut her off and not have to deal with all the legal measures. I feel that it would be a betrayal.

TrustInUs. She's 27, and she is really immature.

How would I say it in person? I talked to another good friend about it and they said that jealousy is a very gray area, and is not something I should bring up at all. I should however let her know I was hurt she would think I'm already involved with another man considering I just got out of a relationship/ am still married. That she should think of me more highly than that. I'm just not sure what to tell her in person!

Can I just cut her off without an explanation? I know so many other friends who have cut her off, and she's always at a loss as to why. I feel like she deserves an explanation from someone.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey, Azure-girl!

This one sounds not too difficult (unpleasant, yes, but not too difficult.)

Since she tends to be volatile and unpredictable, I would either telephone her, or write her (via mail or email) as opposed to a face-to-face meeting. On the phone, you can always hang up if she becomes too unpleasant. Via mail/email, you can always ignore future written interactions with her since you have made YOUR intent clear (whether she accepts/understands or not.)

Your convo or letter could go something like this:

"[Name], it is the start of the new year and the start of a new phase of my life as you know. I have been doing a lot of thinking and planning. I am calling/writing to let you know that, although we had been friends for a number of years, I have felt our friendship growing apart for the last couple of years. I believe that this relationship does not fit into the new life that I am building for myself and am, therefore, ending our friendship/social contact.

Thank you for your past kindnesses, and I wish you happiness and peace in your future, however you design it.

[Azure]

It has the advantages of being succinct and honest.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, however you do it I wouldn't bring up the jealousy part. And when I meant in person, I should have added or by phone. Maybe not as personal, but better than an email or text IMO.

Of course, you should do it however you feel most comfortable. I had to let a friend go years ago, and I wish I had just been honest about why. I did the whole not answering the phone/text thing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would tell her, look we need to talk asap. I've been thinking about our friendship and the truth is I sense a jealousy coming from you and it creeps me out. I love you, but I find you overbearing and I do not wish to continue a friendship. I hope that you can work on this issue and find new friends. I wish you nothing but the best in life. I will bj longer be answering phone calls. Take care and goodbye.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I like SlowlyGettingWiser's sample letter. I would only add one line to it. "Please don't contact me from this point on."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow i had a childhood friend just like this! Always was jealous of me, was a competition for her, our grades, who was more trendy, who had a boyfriend or whos boyfriend was better, etc. and i was only allowed to have her as a friend pretty much. Absolutley the same personality. we fell out of contact but she always found a way to contact me and make me the person to blame, that i wasnt the good friend. I had to break it off with her too but she finally got a steady boyfriend and married him and we havent talked since. such a relief.

Prolly the best thing to do is stop reponding to her. always worked for me even with obsessed ex boyfriends. as long as you say something back they will always pursue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.

SGW, I love your sample email. If I decide to go that route, I will definitely use it.

But some are saying I should do it in person/on the phone, so I'm giving this more thought before I make a decision.

Animal2011 LOL I laughed when I read bj.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Azure:

You should DEFINITELY do what feels best for YOU. I would add that you should NOT do it in person IF YOU DON'T WANT TO.

When I was very young, I had a VERY manipulative and emotionally abusive bf that I wanted to dump over the phone. My best friend told me how I 'couldn't' dump him over the phone (it was rude, immature, blah, blah, blah), so I gave into her urgings and talked to him in person. Need I tell you that he manipulated me into staying with him, worming his way in with (false) promises to change, etc.

I put up with at least another 9 months of his abuse before I broke it off with him (transferred from FL to CA for business). Once in CA, I was extremely curt on the phone and told him I didn't want to hear from him again. I WISH I HAD NOT ALLOWED MYSELF TO BE PERSUADED (AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT) by my gf and the 'correct', 'polite' societal expectations. I don't blame HER, she didn't know how bad he was. I blame me because I KNEW what a nut-job this guy was. I should have stood firm and did it MY way.

You should stand firm, too, and do it YOUR WAY (whichever way that is). We don't know her, we don't know the dynamics of your interactions with her. Do what makes YOU feel comfortable. You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Can I just cut her off without an explanation? I know so many other friends who have cut her off, and she's always at a loss as to why. I feel like she deserves an explanation from someone.
Yes you can just cut her off without an explanation. I went through this recently with a friend that was flat out just taking too much of my time despite me trying over and over and over again to get her to stop. I can't block her on my phone so I gave her a 'mute' ring tone. I no longer hear when she calls or texts (and yes she still does and it's been 6 months now).

And like your friend mine has been cut off from others too and is at a loss why as well.

You can't fix broken people but you can take care of YOU. FWIW this was hard to do. I started by backing away slowly answering less and less calls until I stopped all together.

I got to the point in my life where I REFUSE to hang out or talk to people I don't like. Life is too short.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I've had acquaintances like this in the past.
They can be very emotionally demanding and drain you.

But I had developed a method to deal with their histrionics.

What I had found is that they can sometimes be good company, so what I used to do was simply ignore them when they go off on a tantrum / tangent.
I let them know politely before they go off [ when they are " normal ."], that I value their company , and believe that they are a good person deep down inside.
Then I tell them that I would not be responding to their " bad " behaviour , because I never treat them like that , and they wouldn't like it if I did.
So basically, anytime they act like that ,they should expect me to ignore them.

It worked well enough for me. They either changed their behaviour or simply stopped hanging around.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Maybe, but it doesn't have to come from YOU.

a. she won't want to hear it
b. she won't believe it
c. she will spend the whole time TELLING YOU that YOU'RE WRONG ("but I don't act like that", "I never X", "that's not true", etc.)

Just take about 10 seconds NOW to close your eyes and picture option c.....yeah, that's NOT gonna go well.

If she wants answers, she can see a professional who can help her see herself as others see her AND help her make changes that will make her life more satisfying.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Seems to me if you blocked her from FB and your phone she would have quite a clear idea of what was going on with no explanation needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So she'd called and me and texted me several times this weekend and I haven't responded. Now she sent a message saying "Where are you?? I'm worried about you" and that's when the softie in me feels guilty :/

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
So she'd called and me and texted me several times this weekend and I haven't responded. Now she sent a message saying "Where are you?? I'm worried about you" and that's when the softie in me feels guilty :/
Guilty for what exactly? For choosing who you want to spend your time with?

People like her are skilled at inducing guilt. It gets them what they want. You!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.