Talk About Marriage banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Perhaps it would be a shorter list to discuss occupations that DONT have much infidelity or broken marriages or promiscuity etc.

But since we have priests and clergy molesting kids and hooking up with parishioners throughout the globe and nuns getting knocked up in convents ( because contraception is forbidden dontcha know)

It may be challenging to even find occupations to make that short list.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The horse women: maybe selfishness?

I have met many horse women throughout my life. None of them seem to work a whole lot, and rely on their husband to fund the majority of horse expenses, which are HUGE. And the time suck is huge.

But they just have to have their horse.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Oh, I'm sure there are tons but these are some that come to mind.

Lawyers,
Traveling salesperson
Pilot,
flight attendant,
military on deployment
CEO,
stripper,
sex worker,
model
actor/actress,
musician
Certain healthcare fields
politician
Any job with a lot of travel
I agree with this, except more for men than women. Because they're more interested in extracurricular sex than most women (although I did share a story about a cheating wife I had to share a room with on a business trip on another thread). Traveling salesmen staying in hotels are probably the worst, and touring musicians. It's just more or less expected that a man going to a convention will cheat. There will be prostitutes everywhere. I mean, the salesmen meeting clients at conventions literally hire prostitutes for their clients a lot of times.

One time in the 70s, I walked into a radio and record convention into a big hotel lobby, and immediately, despite that I was wearing a three-piece conservative taupe wool suit at the time, a couple guys came up and grabbed my arm thinking I was the hooker they had ordered. Years later, they would have to be nice to me because I would become a big client of their company (I didn't forget who they were -- and they were obnoxious for sure, just in general in and out of conventions), but I always snubbed them, and I think they remembered why. They were both married, of course, longterm. The poor women. I can't even imagine. These guys were goons and really probably the most openly sexist ones I ever encountered.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Perhaps it would be a shorter list to discuss occupations that DONT have much infidelity or broken marriages or promiscuity etc.
@oldshirt, I also think it comes down to personal experiences. Not necessarily the occupations, but how one handles themselves within their occupation versus life outside of work. Then people can gauge going forward.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My XW was a teacher. 11-16 year olds. Whilst we were together c. 1970-1990 she taught at four schools. In every one there was a culture of sexual infidelity. In the first, all girls, the few males made hay (including at least one with a pupil), at the second she was befriended by a female colleague in an open marriage. The final two were co-ed, staff rooms probably 50-50 but both with mainly male senior staff. Female staff who didn't put out tended not to get the middle management jobs and income.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
There seems to be some skew toward likelihood of infidelity creeping in. I actually assumed that it was that they put their job/horse before their relationships. Though most anecdotes seem to point towards promiscuity in the professions.

That makes me worry about the horse owners 😬

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just my experience having over 20yrs around hair dressers. For anyone thinking I am "shaming" a profession, I am just sharing my experiences. I have probably known more than 50 hair dressers as co workers with my exes. Almost all have no education outside of high school. Almost all of them take "glam" seriously. Talking botox parties, eyebrow parties, nail parties, etc. Most wear too much of everything for my taste.....makeup, lipstick, etc.

What I concluded though is they are like unlicensed, unprepared therapists for their clients. They hear it ALL. Then I hear about it ALL.... There was only a small handful that were faithful, married, etc. I see a bunch of hairdressers on OLD. I think clients overshare and it gets right in the head of hairdressers. Maybe that drives them nuts?

What it seemed to me is hairdressers prioritize glamour and vanity. I will never seek a relationship with another one.

I think healthcare is a mixed stack. Lot of women in there that are true caregivers. However, seeing as how almost my entire family is in healthcare, I notice the younger ones are in no place to settle down until later as there are just too many options. Most seem to be interested in those doctors.

In all, it comes down to exposure to the opposite sex on a daily bases.

As for horse owners, I have known that as a "nope" for a long time! There is something about women and horses. At least in my area, there are mostly two types of owners. Ones that can barely afford to keep the lights on, yet own horses...And those that have them as a status symbol. One family I know has clydesdales and it costs them $10K/mo just to maintain them. I have nothing against owning horses but we were raised around working horses.

In all cases, I have learned to study the 'type' of woman that takes on certain professions. It's either a real passion, or other motives.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. That's an interesting detail.

I would surmise a woman who has her signficant attention and passion dominated by her job would be a "problem" or an "asset" depending on what you value. If you value public service and passion, for example, my teaching job is awesome and I love it. If you want my attention and time, however, it is true that it is taken up by worrying about my students and my son. And the pay is crappy. Then again I'm not on the dating market claiming I'm some paragon of female awesomeness lol. I guess it's good to get a dose of reality now and then :)

I will say a LOT of the horse owners have their time focused on their horse, so regardless of gender that might be an issue depending on how much time you're expecting someone to spend with you. My sister and her partner are both like this.

Healthcare workers...I can't really say. I would say the work hours make sustaining a relationship difficult but that could be said to be true of lawyers, doctors, any occupation with irregular or very long work hours.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The horse women: maybe selfishness?

I have met many horse women throughout my life. None of them seem to work a whole lot, and rely on their husband to fund the majority of horse expenses, which are HUGE. And the time suck is huge.

But they just have to have their horse.
.Agreed. It's not a cheap hobby that just anyone can get into. So as a group they are probably used to getting what they want.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Anyone that travels a lot for work is just a no for me. All the opportunity in the world right there. Traveling sales. And I see TONS of flight attendants on OLD.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
I liked it when an old bf of mine traveled, gave me time to breathe and have my usual social life with friends, but yes, he was messing around with someone. I didn't care. Just wasn't that serious for me.

Speaking of flight attendants, those poor people get hit on nonstop.

• Wow
Reactions: gaius

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
There seems to be some skew toward likelihood of infidelity creeping in. I actually assumed that it was that they put their job/horse before their relationships. Though most anecdotes seem to point towards promiscuity in the professions.

That makes me worry about the horse owners 😬
It's great when you have a job that you love that much. I guess there's such a thing as going overboard, though. I know when I had a job that was kind of night and day that I loved, really I only had time mainly for people who were doing something associated that kept us crossing paths. So if I had wanted to marry during that time, it would have had to be someone who was kind of doing the same thing and understood the pull of it. And indeed one of my Bfs and I were on a parallel career track for many years and even working together. He did want to get married and married twice in the time I was working with him. At least one of those times he got his wife a related job even though she had no prior experience at it. So maybe the problem comes in when someone starts a different career after you already have your marriage routine going and it upsets the apple cart.

Reactions: Jamieboy
41 - 60 of 77 Posts