Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was separated from my wife, I dated a bit. One of the things I noticed was there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of, health care workers, teachers and horse owners.

I reasoned this was likely because, all three had a passion that came before a relationship in terms of importance and so contributed to previous relationship breakdowns.

Now obviously this was based on a limited sample size in my area. So im prepared to accept there is no correlation. However I was curious to know if others have observed this for any or all of the above.

Or have alternative theory to explain the disproportion

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I think it’s overly harsh and unreasonably judgemental to say that they are poor partners.

Both the health care field and educational fields are highly female dominated. There is simply a lot of women working in those fields and of course a number of them are going to be single and on the dating market at any given time.

But to say that they are poor partners is quite overreaching.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
I don't know any horse owners but know several teachers and healthcare workers in very good marriages. Can't think of any among the divorces I know of.
I believe the police have more than their fair share of divorces, as do airline pilots/ stewards/ stewardesses.

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
I think it’s overly harsh and unreasonably judgemental to say that they are poor partners.

Both the health care field and educational fields are highly female dominated. There is simply a lot of women working in those fields and of course a number of them are going to be single and on the dating market at any given time.

But to say that they are poor partners is quite overreaching.
Have you ever worked in healthcare?

More specifically, have you ever worked in a hospital setting?

Infidelity is rampant.

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
While I was separated from my wife, I dated a bit. One of the things I noticed was there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of, health care workers, teachers and horse owners.

I reasoned this was likely because, all three had a passion that came before a relationship in terms of importance and so contributed to previous relationship breakdowns.

Now obviously this was based on a limited sample size in my area. So im prepared to accept there is no correlation. However I was curious to know if others have observed this for any or all of the above.

You’re on the right track.

Reactions: Jamieboy

·
Registered
688 Posts
Have you ever worked in healthcare?

More specifically, have you ever worked in a hospital setting?

Infidelity is rampant.
I haven't worked in healthcare but when single did sleep with quite a few nurses after one short hospital stay. There were multiple that followed up personally, and a couple were regulars in my bed for months.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think any true career can engulf a person to the point of them being a detached spouse.

Now, risk of infidelity does seem to have some connection to occupation. Many affairs occur with someone from work, so occupations that create a lot of close proximity and time together can be a problem.

I read an article that provided some stats from Ashley Madison, the cheater's dating site, that said 29% of male cheaters on the site are in the trades, plumber, electrician, etc. making it the #1 profession for male cheaters. The #1 for female cheaters is medical/healthcare with 23% of women in those occupations. IT, Retail and hospitality were in the top 5 occupations.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clearly my experience was with females, but I wasn't specifically targeting my question about them. The Ashley madison stats seem to confirm a little of my experience, but I was wondering if any others had noticed a similar pattern in their experience. Not necessarily the professions I encountered as over represented

·
Registered
688 Posts
I saw @BigDaddyNY response, and get the concept that guys in the trades have high percentages of fooling around.

Working inside the electrical trade for a lot of years; there is a reality that puts good tradesmen in many environments in businesses that are like a revolving door of meeting different women constantly, that many of them inevitably want to bang the guy. That's a reality for sure.

·
Registered
452 Posts
..... health care workers, teachers and horse owners.
..... I was curious to know if others have observed this for any or all of the above.
Where I am teachers and health workers have easy access to government loans without the wage to repay them. They are always desperate for a way out of their debts, essentially they'll date anyone they think can help repay their debts.

Reactions: Numb26

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
My understanding is many healthcare workers work long hours but then have 3 days off lots of places.

Not sure what's up with the "horse owners," but I think it's funny. Everyone should have passions. It keeps them balanced. People I see on here with so many marital problems, it's often because they have nothing they're passionate about, no big interests or hobbies and just want to lock down their mate. That's not healthy, I'm sorry.

·
Banned
15,057 Posts
How many nurses have you dated? Perhaps an individual's nature gravitates toward certain occupations?
Honestly I never really paid much attention to their day jobs whether nurses or doctors or pharmacists as I found an individual's nature is not tied to them. I can get a bad vibe with anyone of any profession.

Even if 23% of women who cheat are in the medical field majority of people cheat in relationships anyway so 🤷‍♂️ rather rely on intuition than statistics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the tinder algorithm served up, teacher, nurse, woman on horse, other, with alarming regularity. I suspect horse ownership in the UK is less than 1 percent, yet there they were, and im not even in a particularly rural area.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts