Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is...three years ago today, the judge banged a gavel and ended my marriage.

It was not my choice.

Oddly enough the sun came up the next day just like it always did.:)
Funny that.

Little by little my life began to improve.
I got the things that I wanted and worked on myself to be a better person.
I attracted better people and personalized less.
I became a better man.

Now I am settled.
Life has given me all I need and I find i need less and less each day...In a good way.

I am 49 in 5 days.
I weigh in well, am reasonably fit, in a relationship with a wonderful gal.
My kids respect and love me and her as well.
I am 80% of my goal to have 6 figures in the bank and have recently completed an apartment renovation to be proud of.
This will pay 95% of my mortgage.

For those of you who need a little encouragement...this CAN be done.
You can succeed and come out even better than before.

While it may seem like it in the beginning, a divorce is NOT the end of your world...just that particular chapter.

Success to you all, my friends! :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Congrats. Good to hear a non horror story of divorce.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats. Good to hear a non horror story of divorce.
Oh it was a horror story... it's just that I was so used to the horror that it all seemed normal to me. :)

Reactions: FeministInPink

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
So good SamuraiJack!
People need to remember that there is a light at the end of the D tunnel. Life goes on, sometimes more bumpy that others, but it does progress. Happy happy happy for you.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
26 years ago I married this month. 11 years ago October I left. So much water under the bridge and life is better than ever before. I learned a lot from my marriage and even more from my divorce. Life is good. :) Glad so much is working out well for you!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you All.
My main purpose in this was to give some encouragement to folks who need it.
To those people I say:
"You CAN get through this. You WILL get through this...and after you have done it...You will come to the realization that you are MUCH more Awesome than you thought before."
"That part of you is gone, but it has been replaced with a much more efficient, flexible and wise model than before."
"You. Can. Do. This."

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Well done and all the best moving forward. There really is life after divorce.

I am happier than ever before, so yes it can be done.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Absolutely not. I refuse to settle. I was with a woman for a little over a year during and after my D with my xWW. She was beautiful, the sex was great, but that's literally all she could offer. I was single for over 1.5 years after she and I broke up, and it totally reset my lady picker. Good thing, because I met a great lady and things are going very well.

Never settle; that's Nice Guy behavior. Stop that. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now that is awesome... I cannot express how that is a great thing for everyone to understand. There is life after D... and plenty of it.

If the rule of thumb is, one month for every year married, I have six months to finish my rework, debt free, back in shape both mentally and physically. The world is out there and I know I will be good.

Congrats to all who have moved forward and are growing in a positive fashion. It does get better if you make it so.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Samuraijack, I consistently like your posts. They are positive and show strength. :)

I am still in process. We are about to file...I am just waiting on the final sign off on the agreement. It has been 18 months since my d day.

Life is good. So good right now. It is kind of scary really. I have found myself again. I have rediscovered just how fun and smart and pretty and switched on I am. After being married for 26 years to a man who whittled me down. I am calmer, more centered and focused on what is important.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Samuraijack, I consistently like your posts. They are positive and show strength. :)

I am still in process. We are about to file...I am just waiting on the final sign off on the agreement. It has been 18 months since my d day.

Life is good. So good right now. It is kind of scary really. I have found myself again. I have rediscovered just how fun and smart and pretty and switched on I am. After being married for 26 years to a man who whittled me down. I am calmer, more centered and focused on what is important.
Thanks Fenix, It truly is remarkable when your old self returns. To glimpse your core again after so long is a welcome sight.

The interesting thing is that I can barely remember who I was BEFORE the D.

The thing I remember most is that I was in a very dark space and it seemed that my entire world had united against me. Even my pets were acting weird.

From such a dark place I very slowly emerged over the course of months. I was scared, panicky and oddly calm all at once.
Pained at having been abandoned, but relieved that the immediate stress was over.

I would find out later she most likely had a MLC which led to an affair. Once that knowledge set in it explained everything.
Then I could box it up and set it away.
Havent spoken to ex about anything other than kids for many, many months now.

My old self resurfaced. The rascally grin that had been gone for so long was back.
I started to laugh at myself when I slid back.
I thought long and hard about "maturity" versus simply being who I was.
I began to play again. :)

Some things you dont get over so easily. Dont get me wrong, this was work to get over and I still have a little piece of me that will always wonder if we could have saved it.
Thats pretty normal for most people.

Oddly enough, it was coimg here and reading all the other stories that helped me out. It was very affirming for me that others had been through it.
It was sort of like getting washed ashore and finding out the island isnt deserted at all.
There's a whole colony of survivors. :)

I had been guiding myself so I was fairly okay by the time I got here but I see the other people in various states of exposure recovering slowly. Showing each other the tricks they have learned and helping each other.
Some with fervor.
Some with quiet words.
Others just sit next to you.

Still others are waiting on the beach for the next batch of lost souls to come in.
Thats sort of where I am right now.
I'll take watches on the high cliffs and patiently scan for newcomers, yell down when they come, suggest the best places to start.
I didnt know about TAM when it all went down for me.
Now that TAM has helped me smooth the edges, its time to give a little back.

Because, lets face it, you cant really understand about getting shipwrecked until it happens to you.

I think you should all be very proud of yourselves.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I agree!

As of two days ago, I have been divorced for one year. I was doing great on that day, and I didn't think it could get better than that... but every day, it does get better and brighter. I am continually getting closer to my true self, which I feel like I began to lose gradually when I got involved with my XH 12+ yrs ago.

Even so, I'm grateful for my XH because while much of my experiences were negative, I have learned and grown so much over the last two years. That would have never happened otherwise. And I'm still growing and learning because of it. And I'm really excited to know what the next year will bring, and to see where I am on December 9, 2015.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree!

As of two days ago, I have been divorced for one year. I was doing great on that day, and I didn't think it could get better than that... but every day, it does get better and brighter. I am continually getting closer to my true self, which I feel like I began to lose gradually when I got involved with my XH 12+ yrs ago.

Even so, I'm grateful for my XH because while much of my experiences were negative, I have learned and grown so much over the last two years. That would have never happened otherwise. And I'm still growing and learning because of it. And I'm really excited to know what the next year will bring, and to see where I am on December 9, 2015.
I definitely agree with how much we seemingly owe our exes.
My ex put me through the wringer in more ways than one.
She can never know the amount of growth and tempering I have developed...otherwise she would try to spin it as "she did something good".

We are all maleable.
Apply heat and the hammer and we can be reduced to shapeless lumps of metal.
But after the hammer is done, we emerge as a finely crafted item with more purpose and form than before.

Its the hammering process that removes a lot of impurities and gives us the strength to be pliable and the temper to hold the edge.

No one ever said the hammering is pleasant, but the end result really CAN be worth the experience.

Lets compare notes next year! :)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
SJ.......I've read your posts.... your comments are fvcking gold.

Forget the cap n gown, he!! you're a professor

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you! :)

I figure its not worth going through the hell I went through unless someone else can benefit from it.:)

Reactions: 3Xnocharm

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Thank you! :)

I figure its not worth going through the hell I went through unless someone else can benefit from it.:)
I said the exact thing in my last post in GtDoS and the first in LaD

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Wow. Thanks Chuck71.
I feel like I just got the nod from the Emperor.
:)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Wow. Thanks Chuck71.
I feel like I just got the nod from the Emperor.
:)
:rofl: when it's someone else...I can usually hit the nail on the head.

when it's my own.... I am sometimes clueless

Zillard, GutPunch, ReGroup all helped me through my nightmare

They told me things, I would eventually know but.... a good ways down

the road. To me.... my D was 11/30, the day we filed. I hit the

rabbit hole and the day after I came out, she came home every day after work.

I still would have entertained a talk...even a month after filing.

Then I stepped into the Tao. As a final way to see her hand,

I placed her in a choice....one way...leave the door cracked, the other

lock the door, throw away the key. The door was locked....

Her attempts after that....to me were futile.

Reactions: FeministInPink

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:rofl: when it's someone else...I can usually hit the nail on the head.

when it's my own.... I am sometimes clueless

Zillard, GutPunch, ReGroup all helped me through my nightmare

They told me things, I would eventually know but.... a good ways down

the road. To me.... my D was 11/30, the day we filed. I hit the

rabbit hole and the day after I came out, she came home every day after work.

I still would have entertained a talk...even a month after filing.

Then I stepped into the Tao. As a final way to see her hand,

I placed her in a choice....one way...leave the door cracked, the other

lock the door, throw away the key. The door was locked....

Her attempts after that....to me were futile.
I have the same problem, masters in Counseling Psychology and I couldnt see the forest for the trees when it came to what was going on. :)

I didnt figure out the affair until a few months ago. Spent two years wondering what the hell happened...;)

Reactions: Fenix
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.