Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through our phone bill and there are some numbers not recognized. What sites do you reccommend for checking who the number belongs to? I have found several phone numbers I don't recognize that are from out of state and even the country. How can I find out who they belong to. I called one-a woman answered and I hung up. I didn't know what to say. I blocked my number using *67. Any advice on how I can do this. I used a reverse look up app on my phone it doesn't seem accurate or work on Canadian numbers. Thank you so much.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
You can Google or Bing phone numbers, this works reasonably well if they are registered to a business. Or if they are scam numbers as these will be on scam number databases.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Were they calls he made or received? If received, spammers can spoof numbers.

Do you have reason to suspect anything beyond there being unrecognized numbers?

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
I went through our phone bill and there are some numbers not recognized. What sites do you reccommend for checking who the number belongs to? I have found several phone numbers I don't recognize that are from out of state and even the country. How can I find out who they belong to. I called one-a woman answered and I hung up. I didn't know what to say. I blocked my number using *67. Any advice on how I can do this. I used a reverse look up app on my phone it doesn't seem accurate or work on Canadian numbers. Thank you so much.
Any idea as to the frequency and length of the calls?

I get spam calls and texts all the time. They show numbers often from random locations. If they're a one off I wouldn't bother, but if it's 100 20 minute phone calls to the same number, different story.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
If most are incoming I wouldn't worry too much
My number got stolen.

Keep getting calls, and texts from people telling me to quit calling them. Getting cussed out etc.
They don't show on my phone bill.
However incoming calls from people who have had their number hijakced show up on my phone bill.
And then the one return call for a few seconds it takes them to tell me they never called.

Reactions: MattMatt

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Keep getting calls, and texts from people telling me to quit calling them. Getting cussed out etc.
They don't show on my phone bill.
However incoming calls from people who have had their number hijakced show up on my phone bill.
And then the one return call for a few seconds it takes them to tell me they never called.
What is happening in these cases is that the spammers can put whatever number they want in the caller id. The caller id is essentially random. It's not exactly that they stole or hijacked your number. It just so happens that the number they randomly selected happened to be your phone number number. The spammers can set the caller id to anything just like you can write whatever return address you want on an envelope. When you get angry calls from people saying you're spamming them, this is how they got your number.

A variation is called "neighbor spam", which is where the spammer will make up a number for caller id that is similar to the number they are calling. This way the person receiving the call thinks it's local (e.g. a neighbor) and answers it.

So anyone looking at a phone bill should be aware that the numbers could be randomly generated from spammers and don't necessarily indicate who called. In the OP where she called the number and a woman answered, that could just be some random person who has nothing to do with this. Make sure you look at other signs like how long the call was, how frequently they talked, and things like that to know if it's a real caller instead of a spammer.

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
What is happening in these cases is that the spammers can put whatever number they want in the caller id. The caller id is essentially random. It's not exactly that they stole or hijacked your number. It just so happens that the number they randomly selected happened to be your phone number number. The spammers can set the caller id to anything just like you can write whatever return address you want on an envelope. When you get angry calls from people saying you're spamming them, this is how they got your number.

A variation is called "neighbor spam", which is where the spammer will make up a number for caller id that is similar to the number they are calling. This way the person receiving the call thinks it's local (e.g. a neighbor) and answers it.

So anyone looking at a phone bill should be aware that the numbers could be randomly generated from spammers and don't necessarily indicate who called. In the OP where she called the number and a woman answered, that could just be some random person who has nothing to do with this. Make sure you look at other signs like how long the call was, how frequently they talked, and things like that to know if it's a real caller instead of a spammer.
I once got a phone call from someone at work... with that person sitting in my office not using his phone. Spammers and scammers are insidious.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I once got a phone call from someone at work... with that person sitting in my office not using his phone. Spammers and scammers are insidious.
Two weeks ago the police showed up at my door in the middle of the night because a 911 call had been received from my phone number. Turns out it was a stalker spoofing my phone number. These days incoming phone numbers/caller ID's mean nothing, you have to be able to GPS the actual physical phone that made the call.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Two weeks ago the police showed up at my door in the middle of the night because a 911 call had been received from my phone number. Turns out it was a stalker spoofing my phone number. These days incoming phone numbers/caller ID's mean nothing, you have to be able to GPS the actual physical phone that made the call.
:surprise: That could be scary depending on what the person said.
Too much like those prank 911 calls gamers did and got 2 people killed.

Reactions: MattMatt

·
Registered
19,104 Posts
Wow. Holy crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They were texts and calls he made. I am pretty positive he is cheating. He was secretly using KIK. I don't have solid proof because I confronted him to soon and now everything is deleted and he won't let me restore his phone or give me his icloud password to reset the phone.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
They were texts and calls he made. I am pretty positive he is cheating. He was secretly using KIK. I don't have solid proof because I confronted him to soon and now everything is deleted and he won't let me restore his phone or give me his icloud password to reset the phone.
He is hiding things from you and presumably blaming you for being nosy or controlling or whatever works for his blame shifting technique. It's called DARVO= Deny Accuse Reverse victim and offender. When someone is using that on you, they can't be trusted. In a marriage, a couple is supposed to work together and 100% have each other's backs. Obviously he is doing other things that have caused you to think he is cheating, so this is just another example of his suspicious behavior. You don't have to have proof that he's cheating. What he's doing is enough to know that he is acting strangely and refuses to explain what is going on. Instead he digs in his heals and blames you for the trouble. Am I right?

You want to catch him in his cheating, but you already have caught him in suspicious activity and in mistreating you. What more do you need and why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I am second guessing myself due to his turn around. He is now mad and angry at me, I think he is refusing to talk to me . He has me questioning myself.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I guess I am second guessing myself due to his turn around. He is now mad and angry at me, I think he is refusing to talk to me . He has me questioning myself.
That is what DARVO is for. It's a form of gaslighting, which is to make a person question their own reality. It's a type of crazy making. He has now succeeded in making you think you're the one who's got a problem and wondering if you can trust your own senses and judgment. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. This is a form of verbal/emotional abuse that can really cause you to doubt yourself and feel terrible. {{hugs to you}}

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
So he is now angry because you are questioning his questionable calls and texts.

This is the classic behavior of a remorseless cake-eating cheater -> He wants his sidepiece(s) as well as you and his family, so he gaslights and stamps his feet to try to get you to back off and away from the very evidence that would make you leave his cheating, cake-eating ass.

Stay quiet and investigate. Once you know more of the truth you can make a more informed decision to leave his chieating, cake-eating ass.

Dump a cheater and gain a life. That's the camp I'm in.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Use other means such as a VAR in his car when he thinks he is in a safe place. Go into stealth mode, do not put him on notice you are observing him. Act nice, lull him into a false sense of security as if nothing is happening. You showed your cards too early by confronting.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
What do you plan to do if you get the proof you want? What is enough proof? Don't you already know what's going on? You don't have to prove to him what he's doing. He already knows. What matters is what you plan to do about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts