Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to my other fellow gear heads :) I know Bandit and I are not the only ones in here. :) Are any of you in the middle of restoring a car if not which car would you like to restore? (Not buy there is a huge difference.... I would love your in put thanks for reading and sharing in advance.

Thanks K :)

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of my hubby. :)
I asked him what car he'd wanna work on/restore if he could work on any... he said a GTO :)

He really misses working on cars. :(

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh thanks for coming out! If you don't mind me asking why did he stop working on cars?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hubby says - if for fun - a 68 Camaro SS 396 4 speed. If for maximizing an investment, he'd have to think about it.

We do have a 1978 Datsun 280z sitting on our land up north...thinking of getting that restored..It's a cute, but tiny car!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
68 Camaro nice choice! You have a Datsun wow cool don't sell it have fun restoring it!!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Ahh thanks for coming out! If you don't mind me asking why did he stop working on cars?
He used to work for Mercedes and one day, he just had a breakdown. The doctor diagnosed him with depression, initially, but it never got better. When we moved closer to my family, he got a new doctor and new diagnosis... Bipolar. Upon further reading, it was learned it is Bipolar II... and now ADD. The medications they put him on initially really screwed him up. He WANTS to go back to work, but until he can get things settled, he can't.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I've been corrected. We have a 77 Datsun 280z. Silly me.
Oooh... fix that one up. I've got a restored original owner '71 240z heirloom. Great driver's car.. One of my favorite all time cars to drive.

My project car is a '73 Land Rover 88 Series III. Not restored, but highly molested. Right now (and for the last decade) though its just an expensive rolling tool shed. Stuck in a Chevy 4.3L and full running gear... Then it 'blew up' and the frame rusted out. Someday... someday...

Also getting ready to swap a Chevy 350 into my '81 International Harvester Scout II for my son. Mildly tweeked; lift, lockers, armor...

Another runner I have is a '90 300zx Twin Turbo. Been eyeballing it as well to molest and tune.

I've got the hots to build a Factory 5 Type 65 Coupe... probably won't happen though..

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
@maricha I wish you the best and hope your husband has a speedy recovery and make sure you take care of yourself as well and hope you have lots of support!
Thank you so much! We have lots of support around now... my parents (and one of my sisters) live a few blocks away, and my other sister and her family live about 40 miles away. Plus, we have friends here as well. So, yea, we're doing ok... now. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't do car restoration because I don't have the ability to pace myself. I would spend every dime and every waking moment until it was 100% complete. I can't work and wlk like some people.

But, if I was going to try.

1968 Charger RT because it is a true American muscle car without apology.

Or

A 1971 Cadilac El Dorado convertable. Because it is the apex of American built luxury and from a time when gas was almost free.

Reactions: krismimo

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
1957 Chevy Belair

1929 Deusenburg

Hubs has a 1990 black on black 300ZX twin turbo that he fixed up and it trying to sell to pay off some debt. :( He's so bummed, it's his dream car...but...yea. It's a beaut.

Reactions: krismimo

·
Registered
427 Posts
...I am currently on my 8th muscle car....started with a 69 442 that got handed down to me in 72 from my older brother.....yea, I am an old guy.

My dream car is a 1969 hurst olds, based on a 69 442 but with a blueprinted 455 engine, his and hers shifter, gosh awful hood scoops and an in your face paint/stripe package. :D

Since I only have one extra garage stall; my wife pointed out that I would probably not drive the hurst olds much, and I would always be afraid of accidents or things breaking....so........she "insisted" that I get a vehicle that I would actually drive routinely.

Muscle car number 8 is not really a restoration, but definitely a project car.....2007 shelby GT500, with horsepower "slightly" elevated to 800 hp or so......:p

the shelby gets driven whenever I can....basically it goes to work with me unless there is snow or ice on the roads or below 20 degrees (its a tire safety thing) or if thunderstorms are predicted. Gosh.....its so much fun to be able to say that my daily driver is a car that can be put into a controlled sideways/oversteer spin at over 100 mph.......not that I ever do that of course:rolleyes:

well...can you tell this is my true fanaticism?? and of course, since there are only 5 or 6 of these high hp versions in Missouri, any true shelby nut knows now who I actually am....it is a small world for this stuff...but I believe in what I write, and will continue to do so..........

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
We have a 64 Nova slowly restoring piece by piece. If I could restore a car (and I'm doing research on btw) is a 68 Shelby GT500 KR.... DROOLS, or a 1970 mach 1....
My very first car, when I was 15, was a Candy Apple Red '68 Mustang. My Dad trailered her home! :) She was all fitted in chrome. Man, they don't make cars like that anymore.

I'd love to restore one of those, driver her on Sundays and join the local classic car club. We saw them at dinner the other night. I took some great pics of their cars. Will post some when I get the chance! :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Damn...some of these posts have me drooling on my keyboard. I love working on cars, but with two kids at home I haven't had the time to work on an old car.

I love Mustangs, and I've been cruising Craigslist for a '64-'70. I wouldn't want a showcar, just something in DD condition. Or, I might go the easier route with an 86-93 Fox Stang.

We do have a 1978 Datsun 280z sitting on our land up north...
I love 280's, but those suckers tend to rust. Hopefully yours is covered up, or there may not be much of it left when you try to restore it later.:D

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Aww my mom had a 280z :D She traded it in when I started 2nd grade. For a Volvo. LOL!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.