Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many different reasons as to why someone cheats. But I am beginning to wonder whether its against our nature to be with one person for the rest of our lives.

People take each other for granted after a while, boredom set in. The bickering starts....

Just thinking aloud today

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think a lot of people can. Just not everyone. Some people can handle monogamy and some people just can't.

Reactions: norajane

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
IMHO

Anyone can be monogamous but some people choose not to.

Sometimes through no fault on either side (not compatible) relationships do break down and new ones are formed this is still Monogamy (Serial monogamy).

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Like everything else, I think there's a spectrum with regards to this one. On the one end are those who can and do remain monogamous their entire lives and it's second nature to them. On the other end are the people who serial cheat with dozens of people and marry eleven times. And almost all of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Most people feel attraction for someone other than their spouse at some point. And most people don't do anything about it. So these people aren't monogamous by nature, but they don't follow through on their urges. Some have an easier time than others in this regard. The ones that do follow through and cheat have decided to allow their urges to overcome what they know is right. That's lack of self control. Those with less self control end up being 'less' monogamous, if that makes sense.

So I think that yes, we CAN be monogamous. It probably isn't what we're programmed to be - especially guys, whose biological imperative would suggest to them they should spread as much of their DNA around as possible. But we CAN CHOOSE to be monogamous. Some people choose not to be.

That's my take on it anyway.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Cheating isn't really about whether people are "meant to be monogamous" or not. Cheating is hurtful and selfish - it's a choice to cause someone else pain in order to meet some selfish need.

Cheaters have something broken within them that they need to resolve (insecurities, intimacy issues, abandonment issues, etc.) before they can be in healthy relationships. That isn't a question of monogamy but of emotional and mental health.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Some people can, some people can't, some people won't. I think monogamy is a choice. In a bad marriage, it can prove difficult - but it is nevertheless a choice.

Humans have many primitive urges but, IMO, we've evolved sufficiently to know that it doesn't benefit society and/or family life to act on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.