On your wedding day, you and your spouse were caught up in the excitement of starting your lives together. Over the following weeks and months, however, the challenges of “real life” start setting in.
After a few years of being married, you and your spouse may find that you are struggling to maintain that intimacy and excitement you had at the start. This is when many couples consider going on a marriage retreat. Keep reading to learn more about marriage retreats and whether they work.
Why Should You Consider a Marriage Retreat?
A marriage retreat is not intended to be a form of punishment. It’s not meant to be a weekend where you and your spouse attend sappy classes to learn how to share your feelings. A marriage retreat (a good one, anyway) is designed to give you and your spouse a chance to reconnect and to rebuild your marriage. Every couple is different, so your experience at a marriage retreat will be entirely your own, but here are some of the reasons you should consider giving it a try:
• It gives you a break from “real life.” It’s easy to get caught up in day-to-day life and many married couples find themselves coasting through life. A marriage retreat is a time to get away from it all and to really focus on your relationship.
• You have the chance to learn from experts. In a marriage retreat, you’ll be learning from people who have been in your shoes and have done the work to strengthen their marriage. Learning from these experts will give you the tools you need to strengthen your own marriage.
• You get to spend time with other couples. Spending time with other married couples is more valuable than many couples realize. Simply seeing other couples who are going through the same struggle as you can be encouraging as well.
• You may learn something about your marriage. If you’re thinking about a marriage retreat you may realize that your marriage isn’t perfect, but it might not be until you go on the retreat that you realize how much more your marriage can be.
• You’ll learn to love your spouse even more. Marriage retreats aren’t just for struggling marriages – they’re for anyone who wants to strengthen their relationship. At the end of the retreat, you may find that not only is your marriage stronger but your love for your spouse as well.
Now that you know a bit more about what a marriage retreat is, you may be wondering whether it really works. Keep reading to find out.
Do Marriage Retreats Really Work?
The truth of the matter is that simply going on a marriage retreat may not “save” your marriage. In order for the retreat to be truly beneficial, both you and your spouse are going to have to come into it with an open mind and be willing to do the work to actually strengthen your marriage. If you take advantage of the resources available and really make the most of your time together, you may find that your marriage is more than you ever thought it could be. It’s definitely worth a shot!
A marriage retreat is not a guaranteed solution for a broken or struggling marriage. You and your spouse will still have to do the work to make any real and lasting change but going on a retreat gives you an opportunity to do just that.
~ VS Glen, Community Support