Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you call or how often does your spouse call when they're away from home?

The wife is away at the moment at her mums for about 10 days. We're into day 5 and she's not called me once, with the exception of a quick 30 second call because she needed something.

Now she knows I can't really call her because I have no idea when she'll be able to talk, while she knows I'll be free to talk after work everyday. So she's well aware the onus is on her to call.

If I had it my way we'd talk everyday or at least most days even if it's just a quick 5 min chat, 'cos frankly I miss her a lot when she's gone. Checking in every other day would be ok too. But 5 days just seems a bit much for me.

Anyway, just interested to see what's 'normal' is these circumstances.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When my husband is away on business we probably talk once or twice per day. He calls and chats w/the kids after school and then me and him may talk late at night.

Other than that we text here and there during the day. 5 days is a lot and I don't see anything wrong with checking in everyday even if it's just for a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Maybe I'm selfish but a few minutes a day isn't enough for me. Thankfully my husband agrees. He MAKES time to talk to me at least an hour a day when he's gone unless he physically can't.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
My H has always traveled & I travel some. Once a day is standard & often 2x per day.

Five days is not OK. If she never travels, she may be in a different psychological mode, so you could excuse it. In any event, you should spell out the protocol between you. Do it explicitly before a trip.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We very rarely spend nights apart, but if we do, we will usually talk 2-3 times a day. Even the entire time he was in Iraq, we still talked on the phone 1-2 times per day. While we are both working now, I'll usually call him around his lunch time to say HI. If I haven't called him by about 3, he will call me to make sure everything is okay. I could not go 5 days without talking to him, that would drive me crazy!

I think you should call her. If she can't take the call, at least she will see that you called and will probably call you back just as soon as she gets the chance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair more than once isn't really possible and it's not really something I expect anyway, there is only a small window where we can talk due to both of us working, probably no more than 2-3 hours, where we can talk.

She doesn't text either though, again unless she needs something or I text her something, and also to say goodnight which she does every night.

I'll have a chat with her when she comes back, but I wish I didn't have to. I'd rather she wanted to call so she can have a chat with her husband before going off to bed rather than calling because it's something I asked her to do, which actually makes me feel clingy, which I am not.

Why not call her?
Logistically it doesn't work. She finishes work at random times of the day, usually quite late and often won't get home till around 8:30 in the evening. Before she goes off to bed she'll be having dinner etc, I presume catching up with her mum which I don't want to get in the way of since it's the whole reason of her going away.

It's much easier for her to call me as I'll be free, we've agreed this when she's gone away before and she knows it's how it works, it's not me being stubborn or hypocritical.

·
Registered
158 Posts
To be fair more than once isn't really possible and it's not really something I expect anyway, there is only a small window where we can talk due to both of us working, probably no more than 2-3 hours, where we can talk.

She doesn't text either though, again unless she needs something or I text her something, and also to say goodnight which she does every night.

I'll have a chat with her when she comes back, but I wish I didn't have to. I'd rather she wanted to call so she can have a chat with her husband before going off to bed rather than calling because it's something I asked her to do, which actually makes me feel clingy, which I am not.

Logistically it doesn't work. She finishes work at random times of the day, usually quite late and often won't get home till around 8:30 in the evening. Before she goes off to bed she'll be having dinner etc, I presume catching up with her mum which I don't want to get in the way of since it's the whole reason of her going away.

It's much easier for her to call me as I'll be free, we've agreed this when she's gone away before and she knows it's how it works, it's not me being stubborn or hypocritical.
I get where coming from but I would still call late one evening and say something like "hey I just wanted chat, miss hearing your voice," etc. if she's busy she can call you back but at least it let's her know you're thinking about her. Maybe the conversation will set the tone and she'll realize you two haven't had a real conversation since she's been gone.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I get where coming from but I would still call late one evening and say something like "hey I just wanted chat, miss hearing your voice," etc. if she's busy she can call you back but at least it let's her know you're thinking about her. Maybe the conversation will set the tone and she'll realize you two haven't had a real conversation since she's been gone.
Yes and know. A couple times yes, but after that it comes across as needy. At some point, it needs to go both ways, and she needs to participate. One short call because she needed something actually says something - and it is not that she wants to talk to him.

To the OP - you mention a previous agreement that she would call. Has she done so in the past, or is this new behavior.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's the 4th time she's been away in the last couple of years. First time she called pretty much everyday and we'd talk for a good half an hour.

The second and third time it became more sparse, probably every 2-3 days though again, those calls would last a good half an hour or more. But even then I didn't like it, it felt like she was calling because it had been 2-3 days rather than calling 'cos she wanted too.

Also I've done the whole calling her and telling her I miss her the last time she went away. We talked for well over an hour that night so she didn't brush it off, but it didn't make any difference to her calling patterns.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
When people are visiting with original nuclear families, they can get into old modes & forget to call. The only time my H doesn't call me when he's away is when he is with his parents or brothers. It's like he's in a different world.

That being said, I don't think it's clingy or needy to clarify expectations. My H and I just tell one another, 'I expected a call. What happened?' And it's fine to say that missing calls shouldn't happen unless they're logistically impossible.

Sure, you want her to want to call, but married people go through the motions once in a while & the motions, the routines, are important. Sometimes I'm too busy to actually miss my H when he's gone or I'm gone & sometimes he's too busy to miss me, but we call one another just to touch base.

I would say it very clearly & set times for calls if necessary.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Better than the alternative mate.

Tried giving her a call now, no answer.

Off to bed. Don't really feel like talking to her right now.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
A text Good morning and a once or twice through out the day. A phone or Skype call (isn't technology wonderful) every night before bed. That's enough to keep us till we're together again.

Let her know you want contact. Five days of NC? I'd get nothing when I got home and I don't mean dinner.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes and know. A couple times yes, but after that it comes across as needy. At some point, it needs to go both ways, and she needs to participate. One short call because she needed something actually says something - and it is not that she wants to talk to him.

To the OP - you mention a previous agreement that she would call. Has she done so in the past, or is this new behavior.
Yea I was only thinking he should call once during the evening on this particular trip.

OP- I do think maybe you should just tell her. My h and I have a similar unspoken routine where whichever one is gone is the one that probably does most of the calling, but we just tend to have our "pillow talk" over the phone at night. A day or so I can understand, but five days with no "real" conversation is too much.

Actually, the longer we're away from each other the more we tend to call or text.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
That being said, I don't think it's clingy or needy to clarify expectations. My H and I just tell one another, 'I expected a call. What happened?' And it's fine to say that missing calls shouldn't happen unless they're logistically impossible.
I think this is good. Straight forward and to the point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My H travels a few times a year for his job, usually meetings at the corporate office. He's pretty good about calling, usually several times a day. There is no set schedule, but he usually calls during a break, or at lunch, something like that. He ALWAYS calls at night, and we usually end up talking for an hour or so before bed.

To me, 5 days is totally unacceptable. If he didn't call me at all one day, I would be freaking out wondering if he's ok or if something happened to him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a slight update... we talked about it, didn't start off so well to be honest. I had an angry tone, she got defensive etc but then I said sorry and so did she and we've been communicating more... not talked everyday.. we spoke 2/3 days but have been texting more too which is enough for me at least until she's back.

She accused me of always getting annoyed with her when she goes away. Thinking back, she has a point. Don't deal to well with it when she's not here...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.