Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Nice guys don't need books there wives tell them what to do etc., etc.

I have just finished "Driven" by Robert Herjavec. Some very good business principles and he makes some very good points about aggressiveness in business which can be applied to create a more motivated and "Driven" individual.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about books for guys that allow themselves to get walked all over and need a lot of self esteem? (The blunt way of putting it: Books for guys that need to grow a pair. :D)

·
Registered
24 Posts
No comment on 'Nice Guys,' but...
"Before I got married I said to my wife that I would make all the major decisions and she would be allowed to make all the minor decisions in our marriage. Thankfully up to this point I haven't had to make any major decisions." I'm still laughing over this quote CanadianGuy!

·
Registered
840 Posts
If this is for who I think it is for...
Tell the guy to get on youtube, and look up Tom Leykis, and to start listening to him for several hours.

While Tom Leykis won't teach men how to become marriage material, he will teach men how to be a MAN and not a weak, whipped, pathetic, mama's boy. That way, this guy can hopefully start doing something for himself.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If this is for who I think it is for...
Tell the guy to get on youtube, and look up Tom Leykis, and to start listening to him for several hours.

While Tom Leykis won't teach men how to become marriage material, he will teach men how to be a MAN and not a weak, whipped, pathetic, mama's boy. That way, this guy can hopefully start doing something for himself.
He's brutal and funny. "Get the Job Done" hahahaha.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Married Man Sex Life, I think it stands for.

No More Mr. Nice Guy is good for having the reader recognize himself and question his motivations for doing what he's doing, and MMSL takes the tongue-in-cheek angle (maybe that's not the right phrase) of showing how women react better to non-Nice Guy behavior outside the bedroom and show it in the bedroom.

·
Banned
4,082 Posts
What about books for guys that allow themselves to get walked all over and need a lot of self esteem? (The blunt way of putting it: Books for guys that need to grow a pair. :D)
I'd say I was probably one of those nice guys that got walked all over.

No book needed to cure that. Best way to cure a nice guy is to cheat on him. It won't work with all, but most I believe.

Worked for me though. I got a pair and then some now.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
You can read all the books in the world (many of them I don't even agree with)....or you can simply remember and accept below.

DO NOT stop being a nice guy, HOWEVER, do a better job recognizing people when they take your kindness and take advantage of it.

Many of these books tell you "do 180" and "dont' be a nice guy". To me, that's a crock of shiiiit.

WHY should I change myself to meet our crappy society/people's standards.

What I do is really simple.

a) assume ANY person that uses your niceness against you and doesn't appreciate it = the worst of the worst. Think of your niceness as a "people shiit filter"

b) isolate yourself/distance yourself from those people you identify as crappy

c) I like to go by "everyone deserves a 2nd chance but not 3rd". SO first time someone uses it against me I talk to them about it/give them a fair warning. Their reply/feeling gives me a sense of what kind of person they are OR if they even care. 2nd time it happens and I'm out.

I know this might not help you as you already probably surrounded yourself with a person that has done it to you.

Personally, I would STILL use the filter and reconsider and recognize the person in front of me and ask myself "is this the kind of person I really want to be with".

·
Banned
4,082 Posts
:iagree: With all of that. Except for item "c". Not everyone deserves a 2nd chance. People don't deserve it "just because". They have to earn it.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
:iagree: With all of that. Except for item "c". Not everyone deserves a 2nd chance. People don't deserve it "just because". They have to earn it.
That is correct

If used my niceness against me and I confront them about it and get a sense that they are inconsiderate/crappy or simply don't care.

No 2nd chance.

PS. DO NOT apply that to work environment. This is one area that will help you recognize the people like that, but lot of time we can't really just change jobs etc. MANY Bosses/companies use people's niceness against them. THIS is where the 180 and the books come in handy. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.